Author Topic: swimming in mud  (Read 338 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
swimming in mud
« on: January 21, 2010, 03:14:49 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

couldnt sleep last night due to my back so i went out in the loading room and loaded a 1000 .40s and 500 38s on my 550. After loading for a while on a lnl it seemed so slow that it seemed like i was swimming in mud. But i have to say one thing. The only burp at all was one primer i had loaded in the tube upside down other then that it ran like a clock. I about know that i would have been cleaning or tweaking something on about any other press ive owned or used.
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: swimming in mud
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:18 AM »
The only burp at all was one primer i had loaded in the tube upside down other then that it ran like a clock

I do not know how to load nor have ever seen anyone load one of the primer tubes. Does it seem to you that a larger precentage of the new in box primers (even from the likes of CCI) come upside down in the box?
Did not seem to be this way just a few short years ago, or in years past.

I about know that i would have been cleaning or tweaking something on about any other press ive owned or used.

Sounds like me with the main thing being the die settings. I have gone as far as to use a small pocket sized metal slide rule and a pencil to make a reference mark atop a die. My wish list used to be for a die that had light scoring around the circumference that could be shaded in with a marker or such.
If I was smart I would purchase several turrants per caliber then be able to set them right and forget it like a few here have.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
Glanceblamm, When filling the primer tubes you put the primers on a Primer Flipping Tray. It is actually 2 trays. 1 has a rough bottom and the other smooth. You put them in the rough bottom tray and ahake it. That will make most of the primers have the copper side down and the business side up. You then put the other tray on top of the one with the primers and flip it over putting the copper side up. Then you pick up the primers with the tube so that when you turn the tube over to dump the primer into the feeding tube the copper side will be down again, and on the outside when put into the case. And I don`t think there is another press in the world that fits my needs like the 550 Dillon.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »
Thanks Catfish, you actually answered two questions because some shaking of the rough tray should righten any upside down primers that were in the package. I used to think that this was magic  ;) as errant or sideways primers can be rightened in the likes of a Lee Autoprime by tapping on the bottom. This makes sense as the firing pin side of the primer is heavier than the buisness side.

One day I will go modern and pickup at least a 550 as I sometimes wander if my single stage tactics are just a physicological advantange for myself, specially for straight wall.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:21:36 AM »
Primers flip in the tray because one side is square and the other round. The square side catchs on the grooves the round side doesn't. I have 8 each primer tubes [large and small]. That way I can load 400 non-stop.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill