Author Topic: lee mold  (Read 715 times)

Offline Kernbigo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
lee mold
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »
does any one know what lee mold to buy for 45 cal.to use with sabots in a 50 cal h&r hunntsman, around 250 gr. I want to  size them to.451. I'am using a 310 gr. now but would like something smaller for deer. Kernbigo

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Re: lee mold
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
I have a 50 caliber CVA Hunterbolt and use the Lee 44 caliber, #90336 in a sabot. It cast at 214 grains and is accurate. I thought about using a 45 caliber slug but after trying my 44 slugs, I went no farther. I never chronographed it but I guess I should. I've never hunted with it but feel confident enough to hunt with it. I practiced with a 4x Tasco and at 100 yards, it grouped at 4" and sometimes 3". I never got rifle accuracy out of it but for a cheap in-line, it done well in my opinion. I also used Triple Seven.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Kernbigo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:44:52 AM »
No i'am looking for a 45 cal, but one you can size down to .451 dia.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 05:35:24 AM »
Kernbigo

I've had real good luck with both the 90356 and the 90358 in my Huntsman , I cast both just a few grains heavier than what the mold lists due to my alloy . I also size them at .452 and use the TC sabot that come in their Hornady packs .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline sbhg

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
I have a 50 caliber CVA Hunterbolt and use the Lee 44 caliber, #90336 in a sabot. It cast at 214 grains and is accurate. I thought about using a 45 caliber slug but after trying my 44 slugs, I went no farther. I never chronographed it but I guess I should. I've never hunted with it but feel confident enough to hunt with it. I practiced with a 4x Tasco and at 100 yards, it grouped at 4" and sometimes 3". I never got rifle accuracy out of it but for a cheap in-line, it done well in my opinion. I also used Triple Seven.
Have you ever tried patched round balls?
I have had many 3 shot (1 clean patch between shots) groups w/
.530 ball, .015" t/c lubed patch, 90 grs. vol. FFFg Goex w/ a Pedersoli sortaJaeger w/ issued sights.
Not picking on ya, I just think you could do better and cheaper w/ a plinking load of round balls. ;D
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."
Italian Proverb as retold by Jeff Cooper

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Have you ever tried patched round balls?
I have had many 3 shot (1 clean patch between shots) groups w/
.530 ball, .015" t/c lubed patch, 90 grs. vol. FFFg Goex w/ a Pedersoli sortaJaeger w/ issued sights.
Not picking on ya, I just think you could do better and cheaper w/ a plinking load of round balls. ;D

Most of the fast twist rifles like his won't shoot round ball well.   I use a Lee 230 grain 452 LRNFP ( hav'ta look up the number) with sabots it can be sized to .451, A friend bought it for his ruger .45 colt they shoot well out of my NEF Huntsman useing TC sabots.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired