Author Topic: BURN'S NIGHT MONDAY  (Read 2728 times)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
BURN'S NIGHT MONDAY
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »
That's Haggis night to the ignorant heathen. Worldwide celebration. I got Cannon link too. 

Address to a Haggis
FAIR fa’ your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o’ the pudding-race!
Aboon them a’ ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o’a grace
As lang’s my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin was help to mend a mill
In time o’need,
While thro’ your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An’ cut you up wi’ ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin’, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an’ strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a’ their weel-swall’d kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad make her spew
Wi’ perfect sconner,
Looks down wi’ sneering, scornfu’ view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckles as wither’d rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
His nieve a nit;
Thro’ blody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He’ll mak it whissle;
An’ legs an’ arms, an’ hands will sned,
Like taps o’ trissle.

Ye Pow’rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o’ fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu’ prayer
Gie her a haggis!

and the ultimate Haggis boiler............with inbuilt salt holder  ( just above trunnions )
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: BURN'S NIGHT MONDAY
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »
Pretty mortar.  Do you know what the inscriptions on it say?  It's not the haggis poem, I'd guess...

Couldn't understand some of the poem - perhaps it'd be easier if it were in American English...

Then again, I've never had haggis (in spite of my partial Scottish heritage), so that may make it easier too... ;D

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »
sorry Gulfie don't know inscription.......supposed to be German......looks more Arabic to me.    is one of the huge array of ordnance hidden in the depths of the Chicago Arts.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »
this one is a close recipe........my mother told me an essential ingredient was the brains too.   minority of Scots won't eat it..........small minority.   sorry Rabbie Burns never got around to inventing American English :POUR BELOVED HAGGIS!
The National Dish of Scotland

Haggis is one of those national dishes that is both beloved and reviled by natives, and sometimes horrifies people who hear it described for the first time. It even horrifies native Scots -- my old friend, teacher and graduate advisor Ian Conner, a native of Glasgow, was appalled that I had actually eaten this stuff whilst in Scotland. "I hope you had lots of whisky with it, at least!" he said.
I had my haggis in Edinburgh at a lovely little restaurant near the train station off of Princes Street. It was not unlike a Scottish version of boudin, with oats instead of rice, or perhaps more like a Cajun dish called paunce, which is stuffed pork stomach. It was actually pretty tasty, particularly when I zinged it up with a little Tabasco (I always carry a little bottle when I travel), and washed down with a pint of McEwan's Export and a wee dram of single malt Scots whisky.

So, for your Robbie Burns Day celebration, you might have a hard time finding a haggis here in the States (it's difficult to get them imported too; I understand that the USDA has declared them "unfit for human consumption" ...). Now you can make haggis yourself! Here's a recipe I picked up, as posted to the Usenet newsgroup rec.food.recipes by Don Reid, and reproduced with his kind permission. You can guess how long ago I did this by the mention of Don's dial-up BBS! ('Member those?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don said, "I run the Clan Donnachaidh BBS (Robertson Clan) in Walnut Creek, California, (510) 937-6570, and have various files of interest to those of a Scottish bent. Here are a couple of recipes; one which I am told is quite original and the other for the more bashful American taste buds ...

"I've enjoyed Haggis at our Clan Gathering in the Highlands of Scotland, piped in by a piper, as required, and can vouch for it being one of the tastiest dishes ever.

"Here's a recipe for the beloved Haggis of Scotland. In addition to the other naughty (read 'delectable') bits, the lungs are traditionally included in Scotland, but are omitted here as it's illegal to sell lungs in the U.S. (Any clues as to why, anybody?). Some folks also think that liver shouldn't be used ..."

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)
1 sheep's stomach
1 sheep heart
1 sheep liver
1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)
3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)
3 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup stock
Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.
Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
You Know, I'm an exotic eater and this sounds good to me.  Where can I find sheeps stomach????? ??? ??? ??? ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
First ya gotta find a sheep...

Look for a Welsh guy...oh, darn...I'm part Welsh too... :o

Offline Soot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
Wait, haggis is something you eat!?

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Wait, haggis is something you eat!?

I've eaten worse.

Offline red alder ranch

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
I've had some very delicious haggis, at a Burns dinner a couple of years ago. The one I went to had bagpipes, kilts and lots of single malt. My brother and I are doing a little Haggis, mini-burns dinner next weekend, with a custom ordered haggis from a small meat shop in Seattle. I think he has rounded up a piper, but neither of us, even being partly descended from Scots, can possibly pull off the address to a haggis with the right accent.

The traditional burns dinner has haggis, neeps and tatties, scotch broth and scotch whisky. Haggis, when done right, is very tasty, but very rich, too. You don't eat a whole lot of it.

I've raised sheep and used organ meats before, but never tried making a haggis. One of my neighbors gave it a try, but never got it to work out right.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Address to a Haggis here on GBO!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »
This thread has left me speechless , Thank God I have never been reduced to even begining to think aboout eating something like haggis .

Where did that name come from ?.....but if you had to you had to  ???.....must be like getting a fruit cake over here for Christmas . .....You could eat it but .....why ?

'Haggis'  :P remindes me of a line from  'the dirty dozen' (iirc)........"I never ate it B4 but I have stepped in it some ."

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »
Would you like some spotted dick with that haggis? :o

Talk about cannons... (had to throw this in, to re-legitimize this thread!) ::)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »
Dude , I dont think ...'spotted dick ' is even legal in Colo.  ???

Maybe with a licence from the state ?

But , I for one am not pursuing the 'spotted dick' ......in any of it's incognations ....It's just wrong , on at least two levels and one of them is for sure agianst international law at any level . :o

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline red alder ranch

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
This thread has left me speechless , Thank God I have never been reduced to even begining to think aboout eating something like haggis .

Where did that name come from ?.....but if you had to you had to  ???.....must be like getting a fruit cake over here for Christmas . .....You could eat it but .....why ?

'Haggis'  :P remindes me of a line from  'the dirty dozen' (iirc)........"I never ate it B4 but I have stepped in it some ."

Is it just a coincidence that eating Haggis properly includes the consumption of alcohol and that real fruit cake is normally soaked in rum?

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 07:29:36 AM »
Gary, we getting heckled from the sidelines.........get that bone off Willie........and sic him. 
 Booze don't come into it.............is just tradition...............Cannons and Eats........that's about choice :P     Small , Medium ,or Large .......Sir ?....................Hmmmmmmmmm..I'll have the Large please

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 07:33:56 AM »
Carronader....those are some great old pics!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
sorry Gulfie don't know inscription.......supposed to be German......looks more Arabic to me.    is one of the huge array of ordnance hidden in the depths of the Chicago Arts.

Carronader,
Are you referring to "The Art Institute of Chicago?"

ge
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:20 AM »
What sets the elevation in that mortar?
Please don't tell me haggis. The recoil absorbing haggis.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
have you seen that in Thomas third picture there is a pair of lifting dolphines thats extremely close to the "twins" guarding the touchhole cover on the 7 bore barrel in the Visser collection
probably the same founder
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
Dan ......they got all kinds of stuff down there..............not out on display...........what a waste........damn museums...   they got arms........armour...........model cannons.........full size.........I'm not picking on Chicago.............they are all the same. 
  Wassup Boomj  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D I send ya scuttling off in wrong direction.......yea yea I know you knew all about them. ::)

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
have you seen the 7 bore from the visser collection ??
hope Gary will post a few pictures
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
What sets the elevation in that mortar?

Probably some kind of wedge or block between the barrel and the front transom, missing in this example.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  you lucky  lucky people............Gary clean out your best haggis boiler.......... 

US planning to relax haggis ban 

Haggis, traditionally eaten on Burns night, is banned in the US
The US government said it is planning to relax the ban on imported meats which prevents the sale of haggis.

The Scottish government said it was greatly encouraged by the move, which was also welcomed by haggis producers.

The ban was introduced in 1989 because of concerns about the safety of British meat during the BSE scare.

On the eve of Burns night, the US Department of Agriculture said new regulations were being drafted, in line with international standards.

'Greatly encouraged'

Imports of Scotland's iconic dish were banned by the US 21 years ago because it contains offal ingredients such as sheep lungs.

In the words of Scotland's bard Robert Burns in his Ode to a haggis, the US could be said to have looked down with "sneering, scornful view" on the "great chieftain o' the puddin'-race".

The dish is traditionally served with neeps and tatties on Burns night (25 January).

It usually also contains ingredients such as liver and heart minced with onion.

It is boiled in a sheep's stomach.

In my experience when I have encountered American tourists in Scotland they absolutely loved it

Jo MacSween
Haggis maker
Scottish Rural Affairs Secretary Richard Lochhead said: "I am greatly encouraged to hear that the US authorities are planning a review of the unfair ban on haggis imports.

"We are in regular contact with the industry on this issue and believe that reversing the ban would deliver a vote of confidence in Scottish producers, and allow American consumers to sample our world renowned national dish.

"An increasing number of people at home and abroad are recognising the fact that the Saltire is a stamp of quality.

"It's time for the US authorities to deliver a Burns Night boost and recognise that Scottish haggis is outstanding quality produce."

Jo MacSween, co-director of Macsween Haggis, said it would come as good news to expats and tourists.

She said: "I'm very excited by this news.

"In my experience when I have encountered American tourists in Scotland they absolutely loved it.

"So they will be delighted that next time they come to visit they can not only take it back but hopefully manufacturers like us will actually start shipping it there too."

Ms MacSween said sales of haggis were no longer confined to the Burns Night season in January.

The company has also diversified into products such as haggis nachos, she said.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 02:49:52 AM »
"haggis nachos"  ???

That's just wrong!  :P

-------

I kid about the haggis discussion (obsession?) but it's all in fun.

I grew up poor. When we butchered beef or hogs, nothing went to waste. And in the unlikely event that we couldn't use it, someone would come by to claim it.

Much of what many would consider offal was everyday food for us:

Pickled pig's feet
Pigtails
Beef tongue
Beef tripe
Hog head cheese
Liver & lights
Hashlet
Cracklins
Chitlins, sometimes cooked but most often used as sausage casing

And of course, brains.

I imagine that if we had raised sheep, we would have had haggis or something very similar.

So, to get this ramblin' post back on subject, I hereby re-dub my GB Coehorn with the honorary title...

Okefenokee Chitlin Slinger!

Offline Bob Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 03:49:14 AM »
And a reminder that Robbie Burns attempted to visit the Carron Iron Company, home of the Carronade, and was turned away, but not before he wrote a quick poem:
http://www.robertburns.org/encyclopedia/Carron.198.shtml

Bob Smith

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »
A chitlin slinger.............defiinitely an excellent American alternative.  I'd award you a kewpie for that Terry.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 06:00:23 AM »
I think, that one is a previous kewpie winner

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 06:21:12 AM »

this one dan

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »
have you seen that in Thomas third picture there is a pair of lifting dolphines thats extremely close to the "twins" guarding the touchhole cover on the 7 bore barrel in the Visser collection
probably the same founder

The two pairs of figures (infants) certainly look very similar to each other; I can't make out what the cascabel is supposed to represent, but if it could be seen clearly, it might lead to the conclusion that the decoration on this cannon also represents a theme like the Visser Collection piece.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »
thats the picture Gary
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry