Author Topic: Springfield Armory M1A, Where made?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Springfield Armory M1A, Where made?
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
I just picked up an older Springfield M-1A and have read here that the ones made in Illinois have some problems.  I have no idea where mine was made.  I can't see where it says.  It has a 6 digit serial number with the first being a zero.  Can anyone help?  It seems to be well made, with a walnut stock.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Springfield Armory M1A, Where made?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:09:51 AM »
Hmmmm, a buddy has one made in Illinois that has absolutely no problems at all, even with reloads, unless he is using crap ammo.  US mil-spec 7.62x51mm ammo works that rifle like a charm and since scoped the accuracy out beyond battle rifle ranges is sniper quality.  

My suggestion, as I suggested to my buddy, is to get a bunch of mil-spec ammo when you get the rifle and shoot the snot outta it.  I have known a lot of guys to pick up the M1A, or a AR or AK or something military semi-auto, buy 1000 rounds to go along with the extra mags and all, shoot up maybe 100 - 150 rounds and leave the rest packed in its boxes.  They get bored if they have to bang off 4 or 5 full mags at tiny little 100m targets so by the time they are through they feel the rifle is broken in.  I don't feel a brand spankin' new M1A is broken in for at least 500 rounds, but that's jmtcw..............

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:14 AM »
Thanks Mikey for the reply, but this rifle is used.  I just want to determine where it was made.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »
I think Mikey is right about breaking it in, shoot it alot. I would take friends and family to the range with a pail full of ammo and reactive targets, bowling pins at various ranges. Then take turns and shoot till its hot. So much fun for everyone!

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline LCR

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
They're all made in Geneseo Ill. The very early Divine rifles were Texan.
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
 The M-14 Forum has a list of manufacture dates and it was made in  May of 93. I e-mailed Springfield and they confirmed that.

Thanks for the replies.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun