Author Topic: Brass cleaning question....  (Read 613 times)

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Brass cleaning question....
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
Just wondering if any of you veteran loaders have any old school ways of cleaning/polishing brass if you dont have a tumbler. I have been doing it by hand with some steel wool but when i start doing a greater volume of them this will probly where my fingers ragid. Any ideas? What have you done ?

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Brass cleaning question....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:57:05 PM »
Hard to beat a small tumbler. But a roommate of mine used to use some sort of solution cleaner.  He'd mix it with water (it was a commercial brass solution) soak the cases for a little bit, take them out, rinse and dry them.  Don't recall the brand but it was for reloading.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 12:03:46 AM »
Birchwood Casey offers a liquid solution for cleaning cases.  Works just as Dand described his friends process.  I've been using it for a few years.  It does a nice job, however the cases will not be shiny.

:)

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
Here's a link about home made gun stuff. Scroll down to the case cleaners:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:45:58 AM »
   My first tumbler was an old electric ice cream freezer i bought at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Took the paddle out of it so cases couldn't get stuck under it. Filled it up with media. Don't remember what as that was to many years ago. Threw the cases in. Laid it on its side and proped the moter end up on a 2x4. Fired it up. It worked great.
      bobg

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:56:43 AM »
I guess when a guy can get a cheap frankfort arsenoal tumbler for 35 bucks from midway its kind of silly to go through the bother of any other way.
blue lives matter

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »
  You are right Lloyd. That is what i use now. I sure didn't see one at Midway for that price. The cheapest one i saw was $50. ???.  I was just saying what i used at one time that did work. ;D
                  bobg

Offline ironglowjr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:40:08 AM »
Ya i know guys i can probly get one cheap but i live where the closest gun related store of any kind is 1.5 hrs away.....and kinda short on money so i thought that there might be some ways, as described above.....by the way thanks for you guys input.....i will eventually get a tumbler tho.....Thanx

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »
ironglowjr

If you just need to clean the gunk , take a plastic butter bowl & lid or a plastic coffie can & lid , put the brass in it with about a tea spoon of dish soap , fill it 2/3 full of hot water and shake for about 2 min , rinse a couple times and let dry over night on some paper towel or old news paper .

Will not make them real shiny , but will clean them good enough for reloading .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ironglowjr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 05:56:29 AM »
Thanx stimpylu apreciate your input very much.....and it is with stuff everyone has....thanx                 ironglowjr

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »
ironglowjr

If you just need to clean the gunk , take a plastic butter bowl & lid or a plastic coffie can & lid , put the brass in it with about a tea spoon of dish soap , fill it 2/3 full of hot water and shake for about 2 min , rinse a couple times and let dry over night on some paper towel or old news paper .

Will not make them real shiny , but will clean them good enough for reloading .

stimpy 

+1   you can add a little white vinegar to Stimpy's mix and it will brighten the brass.  It still won't be shiney, but it will look clean and bright.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson