Author Topic: Crimp for 375 Winchester  (Read 264 times)

Offline JW/OK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Avid Poster
Crimp for 375 Winchester
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »
Is it necessary to crimp a 375 Winchester in a Contender? Have a 23" Contender barrel coming and getting ready to reload. What is the best diameter for hardcast gc bullets? Plan on trying AA1680 powder, haven't decided on whether to shoot cast or jacketed bullets yet. Will be a hunting rig for deer and hogs.
Thanks, JW

Offline frankkj

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Crimp for 375 Winchester
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:14:09 AM »
I just did the same thing for deer and hogs. At present, I am loading 220 gn. Hornady FPs with a light crimp, and 1680. The crimp is probably not necessary with the TC, but I like to crimp lightly if the bullet has a groove.

Have not slugged the bore yet as I am not set up to cast bullets anymore. Might have to get back into it though. I would love to find one of the old .375 hollow point moulds that would throw a 225-250 gn. bullet.

Frank
North of 60 and still goin' strong. Just not quite as fast, nor quite as strong!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: Crimp for 375 Winchester
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »
The short answer is no. A single shot doesn't require a crimp. Beyond that requirement, it becomes a matter of personal preference. My personal perference is to not crimp anything unless it goes in a repeating handgun or tubular magazine rifle. My bolt guns have never shown a "need" for crimping.

There is always an exception: anything I put W296/H110 powder into will get crimped. These powders require a heavy crimp to insure proper burning characteristics.

You will have to slug your barrel for best bullet fit.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater