Author Topic: CVA SCOUT???  (Read 8485 times)

Offline vabowhntr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
CVA SCOUT???
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »
Anyone think they will give NEF competition?

http://www.cva.com/rifles-scout.html

Wonder if they will sell additional barrels?  It looks like they will be bergarra barrels, might be very good...

Comes in .35 Whelen 8).

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: CVA SCOUT???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
Yep, i think its going to be a pretty good hit for those that like a smaller rifle thats a brush gun. Especially the sweet trigger thats going to be on it.

They may not have all the calibers that the others offer, but its important to stick with calibers thats sell the best and are the most popular.

Offline vabowhntr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
I was suprised to not see a .308.  Also, I hope the 1:20 twist is wrong.  I am not too tall, so the compact with a 13" lop should be about right.  Been thinking about a .243, this might be the one.  I have a .308 NEF with laminate stocks I need to sell first.  I have a New CVA Optima on the way, and the Scout looks a lot like it, so if it feels good, I might have to get the Scout.

Offline notnodak

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
They look good. Anyone know where a guy can order one?

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »
I really like the looks of the scout, and could see a 7/08 in my future.

Offline deerhunter87

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
iv been looking at these thing and im not sure how well they will agenst the nef. they got some work ahead of them before they will be at the same level i think. they do not have as big of a selection of calibers as the nefs. and their msrp is a little higher than the nefs. has anyone got one of these yet? they look good and i like the cva brand.

Offline jeffcneal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
What safety system does it employ?  Is it American made?  I've no experience with CVA, but I sure like the looks of this one!

thanks,
Jeff
Most people are sheep, some are wolves.  I'm a sheepdog.

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
they are made in spain, i would get one but i like 308 and they don't make those. i have two 308 bull barrel nef rifles and they are great, the triggers on mine are smooth. hard to think of a better trigger, cause mine breaks light and clean. if cva decides to make a 308 i'll get one, but for now i'll wait.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »
I'm going to take a "wait and see" on this one.  I like CVA products, but unless this is more deluxe than I'm seeing, the price is a bit much.  For $400.00 I have a lot of options available in a rifle.

If it proves to be super accurate....maybe.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Tikker

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
I'd like it if they would come out in 308 or 30-30, for chambering the major cartridges they sure forgot these two.  The price is a bit steep, more than i would ever spend on a singel shot. I'd have to wait to see how they fair and where the prices will go after being on the market for awhile.

The video on their website shows that 44mag and the 444 is available as well.

But still, a 30-30 in the compact model would make it on my list of things to get. Also that combo would be a great first time rifle for any young hunter as well as handy in the brush.

Offline NoShow

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »
I just saw the video and noticed the 44 as well. I wonder if it will be offered in the compact? I couldn't tell by the video...it wasn't very specific. I also agree that its pretty expensive maybe more than I will spend on a 44 but I want one bad. I would go with a NEF but who wants a 22" barrel and 7 pounds in a 44?? When I think of a pistol caliber I want compact and lighter weight. Heck I would even be happy with it at around 5 pounds.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 08:57:20 AM »
iv been looking at these thing and im not sure how well they will agenst the nef. they got some work ahead of them before they will be at the same level i think. they do not have as big of a selection of calibers as the nefs. and their msrp is a little higher than the nefs. has anyone got one of these yet? they look good and i like the cva brand.

The handi's ain't exactly top of the food chain... they're about as basic as it gets. What work would need to be done to reach the handi level?

Spanky

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
If the Scout shoots as good as our CVA 30-06 Apex, i may have to pick one up!

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
holy smokes. www.rrarms.com  has them for a great price!

Offline midwayraider

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »
got a 44 mag on the way , should be here friday (11-26-10) i'll give you guys a report soon.

paid $290 out the door for mine.
kelly

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 02:52:34 AM »
I got 1 in Wed.and I'll shoot it sometime today. Mounted the scope last night,and checked the trigger,and spec's.The trigger breaks clean at 45 oz.,and the chamber is right on at .453 instead of .460 like my handi rifle was,so there wan't be any brass swelling with this one.The barrel looks like a bull barrel with fluting. I hope it shoots as well as Spanky's 44 mag.O I forgot to mention its a 44 mag also.If it shoots good,it'l become a 445 supermag also.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
It was a cold and very windy day,but I managed to fire a couple of quick rds.in my new Scout 44 mag. I fired the first shot at 60 yds,and could not see the hole,so I fired a second shot and could'nt belive my eyes. The second shot went1/2" to the left of the 1" bull. After walking to the target to check on the first shot,I found it dead center in the 1" bull.
I have zero'd hundreds of guns,but this is the first one I've had that needed no ajustment at all. I was shooting off the hood of my truck with no rest of any kind,and the wind was blowing up to 30 mph quartering to my right and the truck was shaking.The crosshairs were dead center when I fired the first shot and when the gun went off the second rd.shot it was off to the left about were the bullet hit. This was a fluke day for shooting or this gun is going to be very acurate. 
I was shooting 240gr. XTP's with 24.1 grs of 296
The muzzle of the barrel is.805 and the chamber is 1.005 My Handi rifle 223 bull is .767 and 1.128.
The reciever looks a little odd with no pins sticking out,but I kinda like this clean look.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »
Anybody know what the barrel twist is for the 44 mag, on the scout?

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
1:20 Twist on the 44 mag barrel

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 01:27:41 AM »
Bought one yesterday.  The base and rings were already mounted.  Got it for $300.  Here is a pic, with a 4x leupold mounted.  Next yrs. deer gun for Indiana firearms season.  If it shoots as good as my 2 CVA MLders, it will be a winner.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
Mad Dog, range report when you get a chance please.  I've been thinking of one of these also.  Seems like a better alternative to the Handi Rifle 44 mag and the 1:38 twist barrel.

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 04:06:15 AM »
No problem with a range report, but it will be a while.  Muzzleloader season opens this weekend for 16 days, and besides it's too cold for this old fart to be out there doing a sight in session, on a new gun. ;D

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
I'll try to get back to the range with my 44 mag Scout and take some pics of the groups. I've got some 44 special ammo and some 240 gr. mag ammo so I'll shoot 'em both for groups at 50 and 100 yds.

Spanky

Offline midwayraider

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »
range report on my CVA scout in 44 mag on the SINGLE SHOT RIFLE forum ;)
kelly

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »
Since their website is limited on information I sent an email asking for information.  I have not heard back yet so I thought I would ask here.  Is the 44 magnum available in stainless steel, or is it blued only?

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 03:26:54 AM »
I just  ordered a .44 from Bud's. Hoping that it's a shooter. I'll get it to the range after it warms up some. These old bones like the cold less every year.

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:34:14 AM »
I got to look at a 7mm-08 version.  Liked it a lot.  Nice, light, and trim.  Can anyone tell me if the 44 magnum is available in stainless?