Author Topic: Need Colt Conversion info  (Read 745 times)

Offline Willymoocher

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Colt Conversion info
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:03:12 PM »
Hi, I believe what I have is a colt 2nd generation c series 1851 navy, New York city stamped on top of barrel, Colt patent on left side of frame, silver backstrap, squared trigger guard, Colts Patent stamped on cylinder. I would really like to get a conversion cylinder for it but not sure which one would work. I can find no info on converting this but what little I have found makes me lean towards a Kirst for a uberti as it seems a lot of the parts came from there factory in italy. On the other hand I'm not really sure, so if anyone has had any experince on this or has any input period I would really like to hear from you-Thanks

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Need Colt Conversion info
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
I'm not sure either but I'd suggest you email Kirst and ask them. I can tell you this much, I'd not expect great accuracy from a .357" bullet in a .375" bore. Some say they will do OK with hollow base wadcutters but really the bore needs to be relined to proper .357" bullet diameter.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
"Some say they will do OK with hollow base wadcutters but really the bore needs to be relined to proper .357" bullet diameter."   Coyote Joe

An alternative is to go the original route and use a .38 Long Colt with a heeled bullet

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
The parts for the Uberti fit the 2nd gen Colts, and the cylinders will fit the 3rd gen as well.  Both Kirst and R&D (Taylors) made for the Uberti will fit the 2nd gen Colt.

The bore at .375 needs either a heel based or a Hollowbase bullet.  The Hollowbase is much easier to reload, as the heel type need a special crimp die.  The R&D offers two cylinders, one through-bored for the 375 barrel, and another option with a stepped, throated chamber (like a standard 38) for a relined barrel in 357.  I don't know if Kirst has the two styles of cylinder or not, as my Kirsts (and R&Ds) are made to shoot through the original .375 bore, and I load 148 gr. Hollowbase Wadcutters in 38 Special.

I've never had a problem with either brand of cylinder or any accuracy problems with the HBWC bullets.  I found the best bullets to be the Remington brand bullet (hard to find) which has a messy black lube that works very well, but requires cleaning the seating die much more often.  Next is the Speer, which, with smokeless, will lead a bit.  Last is the Hornady, which leads more because of its knurled body, which presents all those points to the bore to rub off lead without rings to scrape with. (I presume).

Both Kirst and R&D have cylinders that are "drop-in", but require the barrel to be removed to load/reload.  Both also offer versions with gated backplates for SAA style reloading, and require you to cut a loading port in the frame's recoil shield.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
I have a mould that throws a 158 grain RNFP hollow basae bullet. It shoots real nice our of my rem conversion.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Willymoocher

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:04:09 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I have something to work with now.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »
"Some say they will do OK with hollow base wadcutters but really the bore needs to be relined to proper .357" bullet diameter."   Coyote Joe

An alternative is to go the original route and use a .38 Long Colt with a heeled bullet
But only if the cylinder is throated .375", I don't know of any that are, and heeled bullets aren't noted for great accuracy either. The .38 Colt commercial ammo dispensed with the heeled bullet and went to hollow based bullets back around the dawn of the 20th century. There is no peoblem with the .44's since they have bore sizes about right for .45 caliber bullets.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Flint

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:32 AM »
Coyotejoe, all the aftermarket conversion cylinders are bored through .375 with no throat, unless ordered otherwise from R&D or Kirst.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »
Flint I am not sure that is true. My 58 Rem conversion has the step inside the cylinder to keep 357s from being chambered. I'll measure and see.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.