Author Topic: 22 Hornet loads with AA1680?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
22 Hornet loads with AA1680?
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
I just acquired a new Handi 22 Hornet (great little gun by the way!)  I still had some old handloads using 1680 and I loaded some tonight with about a medium load with a 40 gr bullet and the case is almost filled up??? ??? 
My old loads were 52g BTHP Hornady's, and even though I don't remember the load, I don't remember the case being so full (of course it would have been a smaller load with the heavier bullet).  This gun is just
about one-hole accurate with the old load, so I'll stick with the AA 1680. 
Anyone else loading with 1680 and if so, are you filling the case?
thanks.
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
Re: 22 Hornet loads with AA1680?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
Never have used 1680, but most powders listed for the 22 Hornet at or near max will fill the case up.
My load data comes from Hornady's 7th edition.
I only use H110, 2400 and LiL'Gun.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. The last Hornet I had was a TC about 6-7 years ago at least, and I couldn't remember.  Sure is a nice little cartridge...hope I don't give this one up.
I did notice that the UMC cases were less filled than the Winchester. Must be a little thinner.  I'm going to check 'em on paper tomorrow.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:31:33 PM »
Just getting back into reloading after a couple decades away;
    I loaded some Hornets tonight..13 grains of Lil' Gun..and the case was very full..looked like it may even require slight compression..what gives ?
  The other night, using the old powder & old Speer book, I loaded 8.7 grains of Hercules 2400. It too made the case very full, almost to run over. Is that to be expected ?  (WW & Rem cases)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:08:47 PM »
Just getting back into reloading after a couple decades away;
    I loaded some Hornets tonight..13 grains of Lil' Gun..and the case was very full..looked like it may even require slight compression..what gives ?
  The other night, using the old powder & old Speer book, I loaded 8.7 grains of Hercules 2400. It too made the case very full, almost to run over. Is that to be expected ?  (WW & Rem cases)

With the Hornet case, it's pretty common.  It's a very tiny case, and while those powders aren't hugely bulky, it doesn't take much to fill up the tiny case.

I've never tried 1680 because I've never had any 1680.  The only thing I load that I could use it in is .22 K-Hornet, and there are plenty of other powders that will work there and in other rounds I load, like H110, WW296, and Lil'Gun.

Offline bagdadjoe

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:45:20 AM »
I guess the fuller case is the norm with some powders.  I just couldn't recall since the loaded cartidges I had on hand were loaded at least 6 years ago.  I used to use AA powders a lot because they were a lot cheaper and seemed to work well, and I had a can of 1680 left.  It lasts a long time loading Hornets ;D I don't think there is that much of a price difference now?  Anyway, the fuller case should lead to a bit more accuracy, generally speaking, yes? 
I shot some of the old stuff and of my 3 shot group 2 were touching and the third was a broomstraw thickness out. I had bought some S&B ammo to sight my Handi in with and it gave me about an inch group, but that's about what I would expect.
thanks guys for the imput.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »
I have used 1680 in the Hornet since it works so well in the 32-20 and I have a good supply of it. Been using Li'l Gun as of late just because everyone seems to like it so well,though I'm not convinced it will do anything 1680 can't do. Seems like 12 grains was close to a casefull. I might add that my hand loads  are relatively mild as I will use a .223 rather than see how far I can push the Hornet.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44:58 AM »
BDJ, for about the last 15 yrs. I've shot nothing but 680 in my Hornets, use to use 40 gr. bullets but now use the 35 gr. Hornady vmax. Like Tobster I don't push them hard, just med.
but they're still explosive at med. velocity even out of my 10" contender and super accurate.
Your right about the UMC cases, they hold a lot more, seperate them from your R-P, WW cases. A full load in the old UMC case will blow primers in a R-P, WW case.
H08

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
BDJ, for about the last 15 yrs. I've shot nothing but 680 in my Hornets, use to use 40 gr. bullets but now use the 35 gr. Hornady vmax. Like Tobster I don't push them hard, just med.
but they're still explosive at med. velocity even out of my 10" contender and super accurate.
Your right about the UMC cases, they hold a lot more, seperate them from your R-P, WW cases. A full load in the old UMC case will blow primers in a R-P, WW case.
H08

Are the UMC cases somehow less likely to blow primers ? I use small rifle primers anyway, but I would like to use an NEF SB1 action.
 So far though, primers have flowed a bit into the firing pin hole.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
12.5 grains with a 35 vmax is a hot load in my ruger. Anymore and i get primer flattening
blue lives matter