Author Topic: Increase in speed, pistol bullet in a rifle  (Read 617 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Increase in speed, pistol bullet in a rifle
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:10:32 AM »
I'm sure this topic has come up before but I can't find it. All the reloading data I find for rounds such as the 357 magnum, 357 maximum, 45 Long Colt and 454 Casull are for pistols. Loading the same powder weights that are listed in the data how much more fps can I expect from these rounds in a rifle ? Thanks.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Screwbolts

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Increase in speed, pistol bullet in a rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:20:16 AM »
I find that the current crop of Hornady Manuals has both rifle and pistol data for most of your above calibers.

What length pistoly barrel do you want compared to what length rifle barrel? ;D
Ken
Central NY

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All The “Rat Bastards” In DC Know Obama Is Not Eligible

Boolitz = as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets = Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 03:22:30 AM »

I generally gain around three to four hundred FPS sometimes more depending on bullet and powder.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:40:23 AM »
Lets say a 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 inch revolver for all the calibers I listed. I load all my magnum rounds with Lilgun. The 357 mags and max's are shot thru a Contender with a 16 1/4 inch barrel. The 45 LC's, with data taken from the section for TC, Ruger and Freedom Arms and the 454's are running thru a Puma rifle with a 20 inch barrel.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:41 AM »
As I remember I gained about 300 fps using the same .45 Colt ammo in my 24 inch Bbl. M73 as I do in my SAA's.  Got the exact numbers posted somewhere.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:27:02 AM »
Just got off the Hodgdon website and the pistol/rifle speeds I was able to compare was the 44 mag. With the same load of H110 under a 240 gr JHP the increase from pistol to rifle average was 316 fps. Pretty close to what you had with the 45 Colt there AtlLaw.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:34:23 AM »
Well, if this wx ever turns so I can get to the range I have a couple of different 44 Mag loads (CB level cast and full bore jacketed) I'm gonna try out my 1.5 in Taurus, 7.5 in SBH and 24 in M92.  Just for fun dontcha know!   ;D

I don't remember seeing any discernable difference in 45 Colt velocities between the 3.5 and 5.5 in SAA's though.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:36:51 AM »
44 mag in a 1 1/2 inch Taurus. That ought to be interesting. With what's on us now here in Bama I don't think your range time is going to happen today. We got a monsoon going on.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »
A 5 or 6" barrelled handgun @ 1000 will get you about 1400 in a 20" rifle with most proper powders.  That's why in cowboy action shooting the velocity rule is Pistol max velocity 1000
and rifle max is 1400 because many shooters use the same ammo in both.
H08

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
AtlLaw, I hope you'll chrono those loads.  I'll be interested to learn the 1 1/2" velocity.  I shot a custom S&W 29 with fixed sights and a "J" grip frame and a 1" barrel once with factory Rem. 240s and recoil wasn't bad but I always thought the velocity must have been way low from the short barrel.  let us know.
H08

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
I'll do 'er Hank.  The jacketed load combines 2400 and a 240 gr. Hornady.  The main objective is one load that is accurate in the SBH and M92 but curious about how it does in the snub nose as well.  Velocity is always nice to know!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit