Author Topic: Dan Wesson Identification  (Read 704 times)

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Dan Wesson Identification
« on: November 03, 2003, 05:58:54 AM »
Thought I had become pretty adept at identifing Dan Wesson/Wesson Arms revolvers but got stumped yesterday.
Got one marked; Dan Wesson Arms, Monson, Mass. with a 15" 357 Magnum barrel, Ser. No. 318XXX. No other markings.
Think maybe it is one of their custom productions which the old defunct Wesson Arms produced? The barrel is also stamped with Dan Wesson Arms and also has the cartridge type.
Anyone think of a reason why they didn't mark the types on their revolvers?
My reloads which won't fit the chamber of my newer DW model will slip right in like they will in my other different brand named revolvers.
How about some ideas.
Doc
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Offline Majic

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 05:33:53 PM »
I've had 3 DW's made in Monson. Neither has had a model number listed on the frame, nor anyother I have seen (including .357's and .22's). DW used to list them all as small framed. Everything was the same as far as parts were concerned, except for the bores of barrels and chambers of cylinders. I think this same style of cataloguing applied to the large frame and the super mag framed revolvers.
As to the catridge not fitting, the DW may have tighter chambers. Try factory ammo or use one a the factory crimp dies (like Lee). Or highly unlikely, but  (not to insult your intelligence) could the cylinder be a .32 caliber?

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 07:32:26 AM »
Thanks Majic. The frame looks like it is the same size as my DW Mod 715 but I just measured it and it is slightly smaller. So I guess mine is a small frame .357.
The trouble with cartridges not fitting was due to the length of the chamber as compared to my Ruger Bisley wherein the single action Ruger doesn't have a rim recess in its cylinder but the DW does. I'm loading a 180 gr. cast bullet and seat them as far out as I can for accuracy reasons.
Also the rounds I reloaded for the Ruger will fit in the Wesson also but won't fit in my DW due to its tighter chamber. I just have to separate the two types of reloads. Not a biggy but appreciate your info. I am well satisfied with the Wesson but wish they would have marked them.
Doc
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.