Author Topic: wanted to learn about Lead ? DCrocket what a good guy  (Read 629 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
wanted to learn about Lead ? DCrocket what a good guy
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:55:08 AM »

I'd like to tell you’ all something, I went down south a little ways on Thursday and Met one heck of a Good guy too get a hands on Lesson in WW melting Cleaning Fluxing Bullet making and anything else about pouring your own.
  Dc was going take me through the Bullet process and he did
He is IMHO a wealth of info and a great Guy
 The Meet and greet including Mrs. Crocket (very nice & polite BTW)
 DC said! So what cha got? Reply! A half bucket of wheel weights a Lee Mould (Dc don't like them) and the Beeswax, I got in a PIF from you! Period
 I explained in these words “I'm like Stevie Wonder, when it comes to this whole thing that’s why I’m here” he laughed and said that'll change real soon and away we went to setting up.
Dividing up the WW, trash pure lead and who' knows’ what out of my Bucket of soon to be Bullet Gold,
  Fast forward, Put the WW’s to the heat ,while the lead was cooking , Dc scooted around Picking and Pulling different items out of the shed, Some of what he was grabbing, I knew of but had different associations to them not Bullet making and others I didn't recognize at all ,moving right along
  We went to making Flux and Bullet Lube, grinding, crushing, Blow drying, and Melting (I'm sworn to secrecy) on this and others and I'm sticking too it :)  All the while I tended the WW stew Its My job
“tend and feed”
 Dc had a huge magnet,I made mention of earlier on, about how good of and Idea and the strength of it ,that’s yours he said I said no he pressed I agreed, and that type of, no, yes, no yes, carried until I had more way more than I ever would have expected, So as the lead became molten he would stir the stew and take the mag and pull the clips from the pot and deposit in the trash (fast forward)
  We poured the WW into home made Crocket moulds so simple a cave man could do it, but would a cave man think of it?? Good and cheap Made mould??
Just one of the many things DC makes for himself
   I call it! and do it myself, thinking Out of the Box
Time was flying by and I had a fair drive so we started packing up the truck never getting around to the actual Pour of a Bullet, Not a big deal to me. DC had taken me through all the motions and I knew they would be a piece of cake
   He lernt me a lot in the 10 or so Hours there and sent me on my way with a multitude of both material tools and mental notes
  He went above and beyond, Fast forward: I stopped for Gas and had to look at those shiny new Lead bars in the bed of the truck there sat a bag of 300 bullets, he slipped in as I left
Darn you Crocket I said NO >:(

Thanks a million ;D
Tommyt

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: wanted to learn about Lead ? DCrocket what a good guy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:33:56 AM »
Great story Tommy. Thanks for sharing it. I've had many a Personal Message sessions with D Crockett and he is indeed a very fine and knowledgeable man.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
...D Crockett and he is indeed a very fine and knowledgeable man.

+1 on that!  He sent me a bunch of 45 bullets and I had to force him to let me pay him back for the shipping! :o  And I'll bet I'm not the only one!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »
DC has been helping me with bullet casting for longer than I can remember , hes one of the goood guys -- FOR SURE !!!!!!

stimpy

PS - Makes great lube too .  ;)
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
I do thank you guys for all the kind words Tommy it was a pleasure to teach you in the art of melting lead you were a fine student. when I started making bullets I had no one to guide me and it took a long time to get things right for me but it was worth every minute I spent in making all those mistakes . So after that if I saw or some one asked me for help I would always help them so they would not make the mistakes I did Tommy the next time you come down you bring those lead ingots and we will make you some bullets and maybe fire up the smoker for lunch. as for Stimpylu32 you were another student you just did not know it he he he he AtLaw I just like to help when I can and Skunk I do always like talking with you cause you always have the answers. D Crockett

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »
...D Crockett and he is indeed a very fine and knowledgeable man.

+1 on that!  He sent me a bunch of 45 bullets and I had to force him to let me pay him back for the shipping! :o  And I'll bet I'm not the only one!

+1 from me too.  DC offered to have me come down for a lesson in lead.  I didn't take him up on the offer as I changed my mind about casting.  The offer is none the less appreciated.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:03:15 PM »
I have yet to meet said Mr. Crockett in person, but I will wager there are many like him on this forum.  Good people do not always get the recognition they deserve, kudos on you Tommy for making sure this man did......
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »
Thanks
  This shows what good Americans are,and what "Member in good standing " here on GBO really means IMHO
without GBO.forum,I consider it the best I visit , I'd bet 1000's and 1000's of Questions,Ideas and answers would still be Naught,even via other forums
  Have you ever done a search and found Generic answers that are just floating around in Cyberspace
I mean not here GBO
  sometimes I'll find something with a yahoo Question dated 2001 and an answer 2005 "holy mackerel Andy"
I would go crazy or crazier ;D

tommyt