Author Topic: OAL on 444 loads  (Read 729 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
OAL on 444 loads
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
I have just got a new Lee 300 gr mold in 429 dia. I have got a couple of replies here and other places using 12-14 gr unique, and / or 18-21 gr of 2400. I intend also to work up a load for AA5744. The problem I have encountered is this- OAL listed in the books are from 2.550 to 2.620, but with the 300gr bullet, it must be seated to a depth  giving an overall length of 2.525 in order for the bullet to clear the lands. I am using WW metal, so it is not hard, and am trying for mild loads nothing hot. I know that many here have used 300 gr bullets, so I need either your experience, or sources of data for 300 gr loads. I currently use the Lyman 429421 bullet and 35 gr of RL7, or with 20 gr of 2400 with good results, but that is a SWC. The 300gr is closer to a full WC design, so there is not much taper.What say you??? Thanks.
remember the starfish

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: OAL on 444 loads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
OAL is and is not a concern for me.  For the handi rifle it is not, for the Win 94 it is.  Determination of OAL in both cases is determined by finding the most accurate load (to include OAL) that will function with each gun.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »
OAL is and is not a concern for me.  For the handi rifle it is not, for the Win 94 it is.  Determination of OAL in both cases is determined by finding the most accurate load (to include OAL) that will function with each gun.

Exactly! It has to cycle through the magazine in a repeater and fit the chamber if a single shot. If you are concerned about the shorter OAL creating higher pressure, you are right - it will. However, those loads look like they would be mild enough to absorb a little more pressure without hitting the limits. JMHO

The Speer #12 manual shows OAL @ 2.535" for their 300gr jacketed soft point, if that eases your mind on your OAL.  Your 2.525" should not create a problem. Go easy, work up your loads, and make them happen. Stay safe and have fun.

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:16:37 AM »
OAL listed by the manufacturors is a 'guide'.  It is not a rule!  They got THEIR pressures and THEIR velocities in THEIR barrel with that bullet, powder, load, OAL, etc.  You have to come up with this for your own gun.

You seat your bullet, in your case, to fit your gun.  You start with a load at least 10% below max and work up until you find a load that shoots in your gun. 

I think you will find your AA5744 a very fine powder for a heavy load and the Unique or even Trail Boss an excellent powder for a mild load.  You set your dies so your new Lee bullet seats for your chamber.  You may have to adjust a little to get a good crimp.  Once you have your own OAL and bullet to brass fit for your chamber, work up your reloads from there.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
thanks guys . The reason I asked though WAS about the handi- when I chambered the round it actually closed stiffly, and that pushed the bullet into the case further. When I then measured the OAL it was the 2.525. The meplat on the bullet is so large that it hits the lands. The 245 gr semi wadcutters taper off rapidly and don't touch. I shot the combo, just 4 rounds, at 50 yds. Three of the bullets just touched, with the 4th about 3/4 inch out. It was from a rest, but not my sandbags. It sealed well, showed no sign of pressure, mild recoil & noise. That was with the 18 gr of 2400. I have a friend that has a chronograph, and when it warms up, I will try to get him to run some tests for me.
remember the starfish

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »
If bullet is going into the lands, you may want to seat it a little deeper.  Since shooting in the handi, depending on the powder, you may not have to even do a roll crimp.  A slight taper crimp to keep the bullet in place or even just a snug fit may work perfect for you. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002