Author Topic: 40S&W Cast Loads  (Read 552 times)

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
40S&W Cast Loads
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »
I need some load information for 40 S&W with a TL401-175-SWC. I just want something to plink with and cast with WW alloy. 

Thanks

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Re: 40S&W Cast Loads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »
what kind of information are you looking for ?
 i reload for the .40 and have used several different bullet styles and weights. i primarily used Unique powder.
 the one thing you need to pay attention to, is the case taper. the .40's headspace on the case mouth and a roll crimp will give you ftf's.
a very slight taper crimp is all you need to get a good chamber fit and correct head space.
i use the RCBS carbide 3 die set, part no. 22115 and they work excellent. if you dont bell the case mouth to much, just enough to get the bullet to set without shaving, you wont have to taper it much to get a good headspacing.

Offline countryroads

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:27:05 AM »
I need some load information for 40 S&W with a TL401-175-SWC. I just want something to plink with and cast with WW alloy. 

Thanks

I load for the 40 also.  I use a Lee 401-175 Truncated Cone mold using wheel weights.  They average 180 grains.  I load 4.5 grains of Unique and that gives 640 feet per second and is a comfortable plinking round.  I also load the same bullet over 5.0 grains of unique.  That load is a good deal stouter, but still no signs of pressure, which is critical with the 40S&W. 

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:46:38 AM »
what kind of information are you looking for ?

I am looking for what others have used successfully with cast bullets.  Specifically the Lee TL401-175-SWC.  I have heard horror stories about the 40 S&W and the pressure that it operates at causing leading.  I have Titegroup and HS-6 but I am not against buying another type of powder.  I am familiar with loading for pistols and the case mouth headspacing.

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »
I use a LBT WFN mold that drops 186 grain bullets from water dropped straight wheelweights. A moderate charge of AA #7 and CCI standard small pistol primers completes the package.

Ammo is prepared using RCBS carbide sizer, Lyman M neck expander, RCBS seater backed off so as not to engage the crimp feature, and Redding taper crimp dies.