Author Topic: Sako 85 Kodiak 375 H&H  (Read 4916 times)

Offline rem308

• Trade Count: (0)
Sako 85 Kodiak 375 H&H
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:53:30 AM »
Hi all

I am looking very seriously at a Sako 85 Kodiak in 375H&H.    Has anyone shot this rifle what did you think of it? I am really surprised that there are no posts on the web about it.

I am thinking a Trijicon 1.25 to 4 green triangle scope on top would make a good pakage.  Any experience with this scope on a "big" bore, I like the size and hope that low rings will keep it low enough.

Hope to hear some reports of the Sako

Thanks for your time
REM308

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Sako 85 Kodiak 375 H&H
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:28:44 AM »
no experience with the gun or the 1.2x4 trig. but do have a 1x4x30 trijicon accupoint and im about convinced its the best hunting scope ive ever owned.
blue lives matter

Offline jro45

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:12:27 AM »
I've never heard of it. The scope I have on my SAKO 75 hunter is a Leopole 2x7 and it works fine for me.

Offline bud340

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »
Well I've shot one, 6 round at a range and I am very impressed.  The first three shots were on a rest set up for a person with a much shorter spine then I have so needles to say it wasn't that grate.  The last three I picked it up with just the little finger touching the front rest--the three were under an inch. (260 gr. Accubond)  Luck, maybe but I really like the rifle and would buy one in a minute. 

I don't have to buy one the friend that owned the Sako 85 bought me a Ruger RSM .375 H&H along with a bunch of lapping and glass beding for Christmas.  The Ruger was my choice. :)

Offline rem308

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:47 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for the replies I have had a Sako (222) before and found it to be a really nice rifle, only one miss feed out of thousands of rounds fired in anger, always accurate and super comforatable.

I have looked at the the ruger's etc and keep coming back to the sako as it looks good, should not have to do any work to it (trigger etc), it comes in the calibre I want (375 H&H), everything in the big bore calibre is too expensive in factory ammo.  I like stainless steel because it is very easy to look after, the laminated stock should last pretty well and the lamination will help to hide the little dents and scratches that rifles always seem to end up with.  There are some very nice rifles out there in the blued and wood, but not very practicle when you are using the rifle in swamps, dusty, hot, rainy etc environments. 

I have a leopold 2.5-8*32 scope on my 7600 weathermaster (308) and am happy with the scope, but with big game on the cards, I liked the idea of the Trijicon, the 1.25-4 has better eye relief than the 1-4 and I think the bell (slight) seems a little more pleasant on the eye with the rifle than the straight tube.

I am really surprised that so few people have any experience with the Kodiak as they are advertising them very heavily in the gun magazines in Australia, and America is a much larger market for guns, maybe Sako is not sure how it would be recieved in the US.

Have a good one, and more comments are welcome, the only other thread I have seen on the Kodiak (another site) degenerated into a waste of space because the Kodiak owner and the Ruger hawkeye (?) owner could not appreciate the other persons rifle was what the owner was happy with. 

Thanks
REM308

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 01:29:29 AM »
I guess its a matter of taste as ive allways though a straight tubed scope was what looked right on a dangerous game gun. by the way the 1x4 has plenty of eye relief. As much as my leupolds and there about the best scopes when it comes to eye relief
blue lives matter

Offline rem308

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
I think that is the great thing about our hobby / sport, is that we can have many combinations of rifle / scope etc as we like it.  We can even completely customise our kit and it does not cost the world like other hobbies.

I spent time trying to find something that works for me and received some good feedback, and information from everyone who replied about the rifle and scope, not necessarily together which has helped me to make a decision.

I would really like a double in 470NE as a traditional big game rifle, but my wife would not be happy with that choice.  I also like to be different (quality is also an issue).