Author Topic: Ex French military MAS 49/56, whats been your shooter experences.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Rex in OTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I bought a Century converted 7.62 MAS 49/56 so far Ive just shot mainly Mil-Surp 7.62 ammo thrugh it
I was wanting a 7.62 semi-auto that dident cost a Arm & Leg and ended up buying this from a co-worker for $250 in arsenal refinished condition (1984) Ive heard a few terror stories and havent had them happen to me yet, How has your MAS49/56's fared?
The attached picture is not of my MAS as this one is actually one of the sniper variant.
Mine is a standard model with the same APXL806scope and base.

I ended up buying the accompanying scope & mount as well, the rifle shoots well with this set up.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ex French military MAS 49/56, whats been your shooter experences.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:37:04 AM »
  i know that historically you could always get deals on french military rifles.....the main selling point was "only dropped once."       ;D

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »
Yea yea I know Ive heard the over used tread worn and very old line of the once dropped rifle.

The reality is that allot of thought and good materials went into the mfg of this particular rifle
the French built these old school way even the receiver cover is machined, wished they used the FSA/MAS49/56 designe when they were designeing the AR15/M16 the direct gas impingement of the bolt carrier is located comepletely outside the action so combustion residue isant gumming up the works.
The conversion of the propritary 7.5 French to 7.62Nato had been botched in a couple ways the removeal of the barrel collar that is to set against the receiver is cut off when they set back the oem barrel, for some reason they snipped off a couple coils of the recoil spring when a even beefer spring is required
installing a gas regulator or at best a barrel port bushing size of 2.35mm is recomended to reduce the violent extraction and tearing of rimms sometimes encounterd not to mention that the outfit doing the conversion for centry had initially used a bad finishing reamer that left rough chambers leading to this really neat and well built rifle getting much undeserved press beacuse they wernt properly set up correctly at conversion. If you have a 7.5 you shouldent have any problems what ever unless you load ammo useing soft commercial primers that could lead to slamb fireing due to the massive free floating fireing pin (I managed to add a fireing pin return spring to the front of mine).
All in all its a really well built weapon that if converted properly to 7.62Nato should be just as reliable as any semi-auto on the market on the pluse side its just plain darn differnt than anything else.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »
We had a lot of the MAS49s in RVN and they are/were solid, functional and reliable semi-autos.  The 7.5mm French round was/is nothing to sneer at.  We were never at a loss for ammo and I never saw or handled one of the 7.62 conversions.  The MAS was pretty handy too.  jmtcw.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
 i know that historically you could always get deals on french military rifles.....the main selling point was "only dropped once."       ;D

WOW how UNoriginal! ::)

Things you don't hear said about firearms from other countries

What out on that Beretta (italy) it might decide it wants to change sides in the middle of the fight and shoot you in the back.

You shouldn't use an American firearm because when the chips are down and you really need it it might get tired and decide to go home.

Russian guns are only good for executing peasants

Don't bother with British guns as they were all worn out shooting up all the brown skinned peoples of the world

These are extremely well built firearms particularly in the original chambering. However all bets are off on 7.62NATO conversions. PARTICULARLY anything touched by the drunken monkeys at century

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 08:28:02 AM »
  say what you want, but it is funnier every time i hear/see/say it.   ;D

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
Don't forget the Hakim from egypt!!!
"Dropped in sand only once"....
And what did I find all between the
gas tube and the barrel on mine?
Sand....
The main problem with the Century conversions
was in the chamber. If yours feeds, fires and ejects, enjoy a fine
rifle. If not, Good luck fixing it.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".