Author Topic: Remington Model 7 260 help  (Read 462 times)

Offline haleconst

• Trade Count: (5)
Remington Model 7 260 help
« on: January 25, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »
I just bought a model 7 260 and just starting to reload. Can anyone give me an idea where to start for a load for this rifle. I am considering trying Reloader 17 and 120 gr. Seirra prohunters. I have been told that these bullets are fairly accrurate. Is tis a good choice and how many grains of powder should I try starting out. The reloading manuels I have right now does not list Reloader 17 in them, I have the new lymans on its way it's just not here yet.
Thanks for any help.
David
"Death is certain and the end is always near".
www.fishcandies.com prostaff

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Remington Model 7 260 help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
Please do yourself a favor. DO NOT begin getting your loads from a site like this. Hodgdon has data online for Winchester, Hodgdon and IMR powders. Alliant has data online for their powders and I'm sure all the other makers do as well. Do a quick search on Google for Alliant's site and pull your data from there or ask for the free data manuals from the powder makers or where you buy your powder.

I really do not think RL17 is a good or at least far from best choice for your needs. I think RL15 would be a better match and perhaps Varget a still better match.

Do yourself a second favor and get at least a couple of up to date manuals and find data for the round you want then select the powder. Don't make up you mind you wanna use a certain powder and go searching on the internet at sites like this for load recommedations.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline haleconst

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »
Greybeard thanks for the advice. I am not planning to just take someones recipe to the range and shoot it. I am just wanting to see what other people are doing so I can compare them to my new manuels when they come in. I figure there is alot of people on this site just like you that can steer me in the right direction before I spend a ton of money on stuff that won't work for me.
Thanks again
David

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:28:53 AM »
I believe you will find that powders such as W760, H380, H414, IMR4350 and RL19 will give you the best combination of velocity and accuracy. Somewhat faster powders that should give good performance but slightly less velocity would include Varget, IMR4064 and RL15.

My personal choice would be whichever of these (W760, H380, H414,RL19) gave me the best combination of accuracy and velocity. All are equally suitable but barrels being what they are your rifle will likely favor one over the others. Which only your rifle can tell you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Varmintnut260

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:07:31 AM »
I loaded 130gr accubonds with RL-15, you can get the info from noslers website. I started with their min load and I'm currently working my way up. Groups have been within 1in. This is in also in a model 7.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:10:53 AM »
I have had the best luck with RL-15 and H-380.

Just like GB said go to Alliant web site if they don't show RL-17 it mean they don't have a load.

I do't use loads posted and I don't mess with powder that does not have a load from a powder mfg, bullet co. or loading manuel just because they might have a burn rate close to another does not mean they work, i'm 62 and like the use of my eyes even though they aint what they use to be
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:15:13 AM »
I think I'm using H380 with 120 gr. Remington's in my M7 .260.   :-\

What Bill and the others said is good info.   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline haleconst

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
Thanks for all the info.
David