Author Topic: reloading for 308 remington model 742  (Read 241 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
reloading for 308 remington model 742
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »
I bought a Remington model 742 in 308 win. back in 1971. I decided on this caliber because of a lot of free or very cheap military ammo. I shot this rifle with military ammo both regular but mostly m60 machinegun ammo. We would pull the hard ball and add soft point bullets. Now I am having problems with regular loads for it. I did not know that the pressure with nato ammo was lower than regular 308. I would like to find a load that equals the pressure and speed of the ammo I used to get. I short for a while loads of 150 gr, rem. PSPCL bullets in remington cases with 41 gr.of IMR 3031. It was very accurae in my rifle. But it cause the bolt cover to come off and jam the rifle. Since then I changed the cover but am learry about shooting it again with reloads. I have some IMR 4895 which I am thinking about. Remington is no help they won't say anything. I don't want speed I want depend ability and some accuracy. Can't find any info about this HELP!!!!! I also have some 150 gr. 30-30 bullets I would even try for reloading I NEED INFO AND HELP!!! ANY IDEA'S WILL HELP!!!

Zacharoo