Author Topic: 243Ackley Improved?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Varmintnut260

• Trade Count: (12)
243Ackley Improved?
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »
Besides extra case capacity, what does it offer over 243 win? I've heard it has a longer throat life. How can that be with a higher velocity? With the heavier end the 6mm chain, would this be worth getting into or go further into 260AI?

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: 243Ackley Improved?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:59 AM »
Longer case life is the biggest benefit, less case stretch.  You will achieve higher velocity if you approach maximum loads, but nothing very measureable.

Throat erosion can be an issue, but only if you heat the barrel up with very fast lightweight bullets as with any cartridge.

yooper77

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »
Nothing I would build. You just moved the .243 up to the 6 mm Rem. It would be a good round but would do nothing the 6 mm would not do, the problem is if you want to sell it you won`t have near the market.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
Besides extra case capacity, what does it offer over 243 win? I've heard it has a longer throat life. How can that be with a higher velocity? With the heavier end the 6mm chain, would this be worth getting into or go further into 260AI?

I'm shooting one great caliber.  I set mine up for 80/100gr bullets more likley 85gr be the bullet I like for it.  I'm having good luck with IMR-4007ssc used a Hart 1/10 twist barrel did the same twist on the 6RemAI.

When I decide to move up to the 6.5 caliber I did it with 6.5x284 for the 140/142gr VLD bullets but I looked at the 6.5x55AI for the lighter bullets under 140gr and I'm sure the 260AI be a nice caliber also.

I keep a rd count on every case fired in my rifles. That doesn't concern me what I look at when accuracy start to fall off to a point I cann't hit what I'm shooting at then I'll replace the barrel and you shoot a rifle enough you kind of know when that's happening.

My 243/6Rem have custom barrels so I get pretty good velocity using data published using that as a baseline I get a good increase in velocity with the Ackley's.  I've got nine rifles chamber for the Ackley and I'm thinking about another 243AI that give me 2 of them plus 2 6RemAI besides the others.

I enjoy the Ackley's so I just look at them same as any other rifle I own.  I won't waste my time or money having one build  if I only got 100/150fps more velocity you can almost get that much with barrel length/chamber and twist if done right. 

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »
Here's a good summary of the .243 AI from Jarrett Rifles:

"I believe the second reamer that I ever bought was a .243 Improved. I’ve had over 30 years experience with this dual-purpose varmint and deer cartridge, and it’s one of my top 5 favorites. The trick is to chamber it in a one twelve twist barrel. You can have a super varmint bullet in 65-70 gr. and shoot 85 gr. bullets for deer. I’ve killed more than 250 hogs and deer with this one cartridge. I shot the old screw machine Nosler Partitions at 3440 f.p.s. out of a 20” barrel. Recoil is mild, but believe me when I tell you velocity kills! The cases are easily fire formed and loaded and normally last 30% longer than standard brass. This cartridge, in a heavy barrel varmint rig with a 26” barrel, is a real performer if you are a 6mm fan. In thinking about it, I have never culled a .243 Improved in the tuning room. The .243 Improved is not finicky in any way, so I highly recommend it. This cartridge does best with a 20” barrel."

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/calibers.html

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
Is the expense worth 100fps?  If you are making a new gun, maybe yes.  If you are modifying an existing name brand rifle, NO.  Resale will deduct value for the "improvement".

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Varmintnut260

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 05:27:10 AM »
Steve you make a valid point. There isn't many people in my area who have wildcats, outside of TC encores and contenders. If I ever wanted to sell it I'd have a problem. I have a 243 in a rem 700 sps-varmint and always thought of changing it. But I guess that caliber has done everything I need it too and the extra 100fps isn't really worth the price to change the gun I have.

Right now the gun I have is more accurate then I am, there really isn't a need to change that!

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 07:05:07 AM »
Steve you make a valid point. There isn't many people in my area who have wildcats, outside of TC encores and contenders. If I ever wanted to sell it I'd have a problem. I have a 243 in a rem 700 sps-varmint and always thought of changing it. But I guess that caliber has done everything I need it too and the extra 100fps isn't really worth the price to change the gun I have.

Right now the gun I have is more accurate then I am, there really isn't a need to change that!

I agree there isn't much of a market for some wildcats most just as soon build their own and get what they want.  There is always as I call it start up cost dies/brass etc and I normally put that about $200 (- +) on a wildcat.

I buy afew wildcat every so often most time it's from someone who got in over their head and didn't realize how much work was involved etc.

Alot of gunsmith have what I call in house network on resale of rifles they build and that is were I sell any of my rifle including wildcats.  Last week I sold a short 6mm wildcat on Sako action and 17 cal wildcat on Rem action.

Offline Gibbsfan

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »
if any of you guys have one try some reloder17 in it!!!!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
I have several wildcat rifle that I have bought a bargin prices just because they were wildcats. I picked up a .17-223 barrel and a .17 AH barrel, both with dies for a Contender for $ 200 ea. The barrels cost over $ 300 ea. and the dies cost abt $ 100 a set. The guy that bought them new lost a bunch of money on them as I bought them from a gun shop for 1/2 of what he paid and I`m sure the shop made money on them.

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
My first custom was  a 243 AI. After less than 1000 rnds the barrel had about 14" that looked like a dry lake bed and accuracy was all but gone. The standard 243 is hard enough on barrels. If you are set on the 6mm, I would reccomend the 6mm-250 in an improved format as a better choice. I myself rebarreled to the 260 AI and am much happier. With a 26",1:9 barrel I can get 2950 fps with a 147g bullet, and have grouped an inch at 400yds. Use a top smith no matter what.

Offline DannoBoone

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:38:05 PM »
if any of you guys have one try some reloder17 in it!!!!

Same with the plain Jane .243........RL17 will get ya to where a normally loaded AI will get ya.
Can't imagine how far one could go in a .243 AI with it.
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.