Author Topic: 357 lever or 357 Handi  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 357 lever or 357 Handi
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
I owned the Marlin lever in 357 mag for 2 or 3 days and didn't like it at all. I ordered from Navy Arms, a Model 92 Winchester clone with walnut, and a 24" octagon barrel in 357 magnum. I drilled and tapped it for a Model 60 Lyman aperture sight identical to the one on my 52 year old Winchester Model 94 in 3030, and also installed an identical front sight. Switching back and forth is a non-event, however after shooting this 3030 for 52 years, I carry the Rossi more. It is a tack driver, and after slicking up the action, and refinishing the stock to be identical to my 1958 model Winchester, I can tell very little difference from it and a real Winchester of that model. It is, like the 3030 starting to show some outside wear, but has become an old friend in the last six or so years. I would pass a Marlin or a Handi for another without even having to think about it.
Their hands down my favorite. This is the Model 92 Rossi in 357 magnum and my 52 year old Model 94 Winchester which was bought new.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
Those are nice. I like that little one. I like the straight stocks. ;)

Offline brasshead

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 01:50:57 AM »
Hey Dee what was it that you didn't like about the Marlin I have never owned one . I am a fan of American made products but I here lots of good things about the Puma's and the Rossi 92. The Rossi's that I have seen local don't have walnut but what looks like birtch or some times pine. ;) The Handi in 357 is tough to find around here also I wish I new somebody that had one I could shoot to get the feel of it. 

Offline Dee

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 08:27:09 AM »
The Marlin just didn't seem to feed smoothly, and at the time all they had was the micro-groove barrel. It probably didn't help that I had been carrying the same Winchester since 1958 either. Navy Arms is whom I went thru, and I guess I got the fancier version. Fit and finish was pretty good, but I hated the finish on the walnut. I thought they were trying to hide flaws in the wood, but when I stripped it I found really nice figuring.
Get on their web site, and find a dealer close if your interested. All I did to mine besides slicking up the action was replacing the ejector. Not because it didn't work but, because I wanted a smoother ejection. They sent me the parts FREE, and I re cut a new ejector while I was tuning the extractor. It throws the brass up and over your head with authority now.
I tried a couple of Handi's and they definitely weren't for me. I floated the barrel on a 223 and cleaned up the trigger, and it was still so-so on accuracy.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »
357 lever is where I wound up, 2 Rossis: a Puma and a Hartford. I tried for a year to get a .357 Handi, had the BC frame and wood all set; planned to ream it to Max. After an entire year and watching the .357 barrels dry up on here, everywhere else, and on the H&R website, I traded it all off. So I can't say as I ever shot a Handi 357. I have shot a Contender .357 rifle, and liked it a lot. If you want a Maxi you might find a nice used contender frame and stocks, and order a barrel made. I shot the Marlin, but compared to the 92, its not as quick in my hands.

But I love my 92 clones. My older Puma has a flat blade rear, while the Hartford has a Buckhorn (saddle ring, and cased frame and buttplate). The scope mounting issue raised here only relates to early models. Newer ones are D/T. You can even get a scout set up. Peep sights are nice though, and Rangr44 has some good posts on his. Nate Jones is going to sell some I hear, and Dr. Skinner may have an option too. Since you like Octagonal, you can get a Hartford 24" Octagonal with a case frame for under $500.

held fast

Offline brasshead

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
Do the rossi/hartford rifles shoot as good as the marlin or the handi? I picked up a new marlin catolog today and they have a 1894 Deluxe with fancy walnut and polished bluing and hand fitted together but, it only comes in 44 mag. I wonder what that will run?

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »
The Rossis are more popular than Marlins for CAS, which is more rounds in a day than many hunters shoot in a lifetime. Some parts are normally replaced/upgraded/tuned, but that is true of any competition gun.

"Many shooters take up the hobby of ammunition reloading to save money. For an average stage you will need 20 rounds of rifle/pistol ammo and 4 to 12 shotgun shells (this is for each stage). Most monthly or local matches consist of 5 to 12 stages, so buy accordingly and bring extra for plinking or sighting-in guns. It is always better to bring way more than you will need and just leave it in your guncart or car..er.. "metal stagecoach" ..just in case."

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
I have a marlin 357 and a handi in maximum. I like them both. For hunting I prefer the maximum, but the mag is very capable.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline .450Marlin

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »
 I have no direct experience, but every H&R rifle I've owned or fired has been both reliable and accurate; for the money, I don't really think they can be beat ;D I like lever actions too, and have played with quite a few in my time. That said, my only centerfire was a Browning BLR, which is quite a piece but not available in pistol chamberings :(

Marlin has always made a solid, reliable gun, although I've yet to find one with what I would call a 'smooth, slick action' at least as they come from the factory. The Rossi/Puma rifles I've handled have had smoother, lighter actions than comparable Marlins, and are in nearly the same league as the smooth, beautiful (but costly and hefty) Henry Big Boy. I think the fit and finish of the Rossi guns is inferior to that of the Marlin and Henry rifles, but not vastly so; since they are less expensive, and yet seem to have an excellent reputation for reliability and accuracy, this may not be particularly major factor.

Speaking of .357 rifles, my father has always been a big fan of that cartridge, and owns an older Italian lever action (modeled after the Winchester 1873) set up with a peep sight. It has no model markings and I don't recall the importer's name, but it is a smoother functioning, accurate rifle; it has trouble with Hornady's LeverEvolution loadings, as they both chamber and eject very stiffly - I'm not really sure why this, though it may be due to the gun's old-school, lifter-type action :-\ The .357 performs well out of this rifle, with good accuracy and little recoil; .38 Specials have to be single loaded to function properly. I think the Italian replica rifles are some of the slickest, best made leverguns made, and are perhaps the nicest production guns available in pistol chamberings ;) They are quite expensive, and I can understand how that would turn many people off to them.

Out to a hundred paces or so, the .357 Magnum is quite a capable round, and should do a number on numerous four (and certainly two) legged critters :) Versatility has always been one of its strong points, and one can expect good things out of a well-made rifle shooting modern loads ;D

Any of the guns mentioned should work fine if loaded properly, and all have their followers and detractors. If you can deal with the single shot, I think the H&R is a great buy; if you like the levers, Rossi is probably the best value (I think the Taurus/Rossi umbrella is going to be importing the guns themselves now, since Legacy Sports Int. has transferred the "Puma" name to a line of previously mentioned Italian guns). Henry makes what might be the nicest American made piece that I have seen :o ;) Like I tell people, find what you like, and buy it; if you find you don't really care for it, buy something else; better yet, buy a bunch, as one can never have too many 'fun guns'  IMO  ;) :D ;D

Kind Regards,

~.450 Marlin~

Offline john-78

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:08 AM »
brasshead, too many times guns get slandered for accuracy issue's when in fact it was the operator headspace and timing that was off.  I can tell you that I just got my .357mag. back from NY 2 days ago, and shot it this morning.  laser boresighted the scope at 25 yds backed up to 50 3 shots, 2 adjustments, and I literally drove a nail in the fence post I hang my target on.  backed off to 100 and had 1.5" group(was 10 deg. outside and no wind).  Having said that, nothing is more fun than taking my marlin levergun, and playing john wayne with it, so my advice to you is buy a handi in one caliber, and buy a marlin in another.  (that way they won't be jealous of each other)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 03:30:14 AM »
* +1 that *
When Im having trouble with groups with a new gun, and the frustration is building, I want to blame the gun instead of me. So I grab one of my known performers, with comparable sighting equipment if possible, and shoot the target. Usually I see that I am shooting 'big' with everything on that occassion. I recommend that if you have to make a drive for range work that you take along that 'comparison gun', just in case, so you dont waste the trip.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 04:04:04 AM »
It's always hard to go wrong with an American made Marlin, but for whitetails I think the Handi would be a better choice. I've never had to take a follow up shot on a deer so for me that negates the lever action's advantage. You can also load bigger cast bullets in the Handi that may not feed all that well in a levergun. Finding a Handi in .357 may be the deciding factor. It's hard to choose a rifle that you can't find. Marlin 1894s are very easy to slick up. Here's a link to a page that shows how to tune up lever action rifles. I followed their instructions and ended up with a very slick Marlin 1894P. http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html
Don

Offline brasshead

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 03:42:17 AM »
It's always hard to go wrong with an American made Marlin, but for whitetails I think the Handi would be a better choice. I've never had to take a follow up shot on a deer so for me that negates the lever action's advantage. You can also load bigger cast bullets in the Handi that may not feed all that well in a levergun. Finding a Handi in .357 may be the deciding factor. It's hard to choose a rifle that you can't find. Marlin 1894s are very easy to slick up. Here's a link to a page that shows how to tune up lever action rifles. I followed their instructions and ended up with a very slick Marlin 1894P. http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html
Don
I like that web link lots of good info. I looked for a 357 handi this past weeekend and had no luck finding one. I did find a 44 mag with real nice wood but, they wanted 800+ for the gun.It was a cowboy model.  How does the 44 compare to the 357. I can reload for both.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 04:08:12 AM »
i  have  357  and  44

like  the 44 better
but  carry  what ever  matches  my hand gun

that  is  usually  my 357  640 smith
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 08:53:41 AM »
How does the 44 compare to the 357. I can reload for both.
The 357 really is a whole new round in the longer barrel; some folks claim "near" 30-30 performance with their loads. The .44 gives you more energy, heavier bullet options, and you can take it down to a .44 spl. But you can take a .357 down to a light .38 spl too. So the choice for many is what 45-70 posted - what's your hand gun preference?

I'd like to work down a .38 load for my '92s that's a cheap small game getter inside 50 yds. Then work up a .357 load for larger game past 100 yds. Keep a mix of those on a butt cuff for hunting options, and keep the handgun (and belt) loaded with defensive rounds.
held fast

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 09:30:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with microgroove in my book.  The two lever guns that I have with microgroove shoot nice tight groups.  Go Marlin if you are going that route.  If you get one that does not shoot well to begin with, fixes ala McPherson are easy and effective.  I just picked up a used guide gun (Ballard rifling)that was scattering shots some.  Made just a couple of quick changes to isolate the magazine tube from the barrel and the next group was 3 big holes all touching each other at 50 yards.  Good luck.

Offline brasshead

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 05:25:02 AM »
I looked at a 45LC in a Rossi yesterday and a 357 Marlin. I think I liked the feel of the Rossi better than the marlin it fit my hand and came up smooth. The marlin seemed short and chuncky. My dealer said he could get the rossi in 357 with the octagone barrel. He also said he had 44mag handi's on the way but no 357. I really like 357 BC idea in another thread. I think that would look classy with an octagone barrel.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
The thing is, your comparison is basically a Win 92 with a marlin '94. Based only on feel and maybe looks, I completely agree with you. BUT.. the guns that Rossi makes are not up to the quality of the Marlins, they never have. (IMHO)

I have both orig -92' and Marlins and the Winchesters are much nicer, smoother and "feel" nicer in the hand, so the one thing that Rossi DID do rite is choosing such a great design to copy. They should spend more time with quality control.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
cw, not to argue, but I too have owned ORGINAL Model 92, one in particular was in very good shape in 2520. I have also owned Marlins and have been carrying a Rossi Model 92 for about 6 years. I did refinish the walnut, and I did re cut an ejector, and slick the action, BUT! It is every bit as good in quality as the Marlin, and has a much nicer finish on the stock now than the Marlin and exceptional figuring. It most likely is as good as the ORIGINAL Winchester, and yes, I have a Model 94 3030 Winchester that was bought new 52 years ago. On the bench the Rossi will out shoot it in groups, and looks just as good. I would take the Rossi over a Marlin any day, but it's is not that the Marlin isn't a good rifle.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
Rossis come in a lot of configs. IMHO, an octagonal barrel is purely for looks (yes, I shoot one....lol). It adds an unbelieveable amount of weight and totally destroys balance for carrying. All that weight is good for an offhand shot though. Saw a neat 45lc Uberti with a long octangonal barrel and no finish. Someone had gone through a lot of trouble to make it look like it had been riding in a scabbard for 100 years. Thing was brand new. I appreciate slick guns. Like a pre 64 Win that you can cycle with your pinky finger. Marlin were NEVER slick.

Offline Dee

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »
wreckhog, my Model 92 357 mag. sports a 24" octagon barrel and fully loaded, it balances perfectly about 4 inches in front the trigger guard on the lever.
Your right, it's heavy but, as you say the weight is nice on an off hand shot or a swinging shot. I also think the flat on top helps the sight plane, but it could be because I have been these old Winchester all my life.
 I hit a feral house cat the other day at about 55 yards and he was at dead run to the right. The first shot I cut a front leg nearly off, and the second one was in the powder room. Of course he had slowed a bit on three legs, but it was finishing hit.
Not a bad shot for a 60 year old fart.

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 01:38:55 AM »
When is the SB1 357 handi going to be available again?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 05:05:01 AM »
They're available right now, Bud's has them off and on, they had the combo yesterday, RR had 5 of the rifles in stock yesterday.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 06:17:30 AM »
When is the SB1 357 handi going to be available again?

i  just got  the last 2   from  pencil-vainia

yesterday
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
Bud's sold his already, but he'll get more!!  :o

Tim

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:10 AM »
seems  like stock  comes and goes on  lots of  stuff

got to stock  up when  you  can

they are  always out of what a customer is looking  for

and most of my business  is  custom  orders....FACE TO FACE

i  am  in  north east  Florida  and  don't like  shipping stuff

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »
I still go to friendly internet equiped gun shop and have them search for the item I want (357 handi) thru Accusport, Davidsons etc distributer and order it in.  None avail thru those.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 06:28:04 PM »
Davidson's has 6 right now, they may be out one day, have a dozen in the next and be out again the next day, Handis are popular!! ;D

Tim

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=SB1-S35&mfg=Harrington+%26+Richardson&mdl=All&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=357&fin=Blue&sit=All

Offline brasshead

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2010, 02:27:32 AM »
I have a local supply guy with a couple 44mag handi's but no 357. I already have a 44 and was wanting a 357 but they are somewhat hard to find in my area, so I was thinking what do you guys know about the 445 super mag.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2010, 05:20:27 AM »
There are a million threads on the 445 Supermag, do a search selecting just this forum, you'll get 5 pages of hits, I'd caution you on using full pressure loads on an SB1 frame tho, the 44mag runs at less pressure than the Supermag, the current 44mag is only available on an SB1 shotgun frame, the 445 would be more suitable on an SB2 rifle frame.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Handgun/Standarddata/44Cal(10.97mm)/445%20Super%20Mag%20page%20136.pdf