Author Topic: Drill baby drill?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Drill baby drill?
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »
No this post has nothing to do with Ms Palin.  I have an older Ruger MKII target model that is not drilled and tapped for a scope rail.  Since my soon to be 48 year old eyes are not getting any sharper with age I'm thinking about having the gun drilled and tapped for a rail so I can mount either a red dot or halo site on it.

Up till now I have not had any need for a gun smith so I'm not sure how to go about finding one that will not botch the job or ruin the blueing on my pristine MKII.

What questions should I ask?

Should the holes go completely threw the receiver or just deep enough to catch enough screw treads to hold the rail?

What is a fair price for this type of work?

Thanks.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Re: Drill baby drill?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
Get a couple of references!  My buddies mauser was drilled and tapped and you could see the scope was pointing about 7 degrees to the right!  The gunsmith fixed it but he had spent alot of time and tlc refinishing the stock.  It was a big disappointment.

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
The smiths I know charge by the hole. The last I recall it was around $15 for drilling and tapping one hole with a modest set-up fee. You might be looking at a $100 charge before you're done. Just buy a new MKIII and get a scope mount with it.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Split Ear

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 02:17:29 PM »
Bret - I have the Ruger "Standard" model that I inherited from my Grandfather when he passed away.  It was the first "real gun" that I shot when I was just a kid in the early 60s.  I found a set of single slot Weaver bases, drilled and tapped by hand and installed a 1 inch tube Red Dot.  Cost was around $45.00 which included the "used" Red Dot.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
Why not keep it as is and buy a good used one that is drilled and tapped?

Offline Brett

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 02:34:58 AM »

This may be the route I take.   Someone else mentioned getting a new MKIII that is already drilled & tapped... No thank you.   As far as I'm concerned Ruger screwed up a good gun with the so called improvements they made to the MKIII.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:13:07 AM »
B-Square make a mount that clamps around the receiver and uses Weaver mounts. I put one on my MKI, they're advirtised for the untapped MKI and MKII. The downside is that it puts a Red Dot 2" above the bore and a holosight even higher. I got mine off of Gunbroker.
Yeah, MKIII's don't interest me at all. I've heard the later MKII's were D&T'd for a scope from the factory.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline casper_zip

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 04:07:40 AM »
Hey there:

This is an easy, easy solution. Get the Weaver "clamp-on" type base. They look good, fit good, and they actually look like they were made to fit by Ruger. I have them on mine, and I love them. There is a place on the internet who has the best prices on them. Believe me, you can't go wrong on this mount and base. I clamps on the receiver.

I'll see if I can find the place I bought mine, and get back with you. I have no connection with the business, just a happy customer and good prices.

casper_zip

Offline casper_zip

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:15:05 AM »
Hey again:

Found the source (best prices I found). It is theriflescopestore.com
and here is the items:

Base 306 Gloss Black
Base 306S Silver

This store is the best prices I found on these. You can also buy base systems with the rings, too. I bought mine without rings, had my own rings.

casper_zip

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:19:30 AM »
FWIW....I'd go either the clamp on route or get another gun.  Drill and tap can be dicey on a gun like that one and new/used gun wouldn't be all that much more I suspect.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:24:52 AM »

This may be the route I take.   Someone else mentioned getting a new MKIII that is already drilled & tapped... No thank you.   As far as I'm concerned Ruger screwed up a good gun with the so called improvements they made to the MKIII.

Ain't it the truth!

One other option might be to buy a new upper from Volquartsen. You could switch uppers in a few seconds and have the best of both worlds. There's another company that makes aftermarket uppers for rugers. Nice colors too. Can't think of the name at the moment. It'll come to me later, or someone will come up with the information.  Good luck!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:18 AM »
Hey there:

This is an easy, easy solution. Get the Weaver "clamp-on" type base. They look good, fit good, and they actually look like they were made to fit by Ruger. I have them on mine, and I love them. There is a place on the internet who has the best prices on them. Believe me, you can't go wrong on this mount and base. I clamps on the receiver.

I'll see if I can find the place I bought mine, and get back with you. I have no connection with the business, just a happy customer and good prices.

casper_zip
I've seen one of them on sixgun,dot,com I'll post it for you in a bit
  Have you looked into the One Ragged Hole type sights
Reason I say this, I too am gong through aged eye syndrome ,I have contenders with scope's  ::)
as I get older (wiser I hope to think) Scopes Don't belong on hand guns IMHO
  Unless you shoot long and bagged type shots
 Old eyes don't take to the little notch and dot up front very well either,
  These Ragged Hole things seem like they maybe my ticket
I have made my own and I like it ,it by no means will work If I shoot the gun but ,its a Mock up of the real thing
when I draw and Point it seems I can pick up on targets and no eye Strain
also here on GBO is one made (home made) that slips right into your gun sight it replaces the notch with a Hole.
Its a good Post on how to make it.
It will be my very first before I spend 100 on anything else.
 I'll post that Link for you as soon as I find it.
Tommyt
heres one pic

another

Offline Tommyt

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 07:45:29 AM »
ONE more today  ;D

The Post on Home made and the Picture
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,193534.0.html

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
I have a MK 1 that was recently drilled and tapped by my local, unknown g'smith for $15 a hole X3 = $45. I purchased a RugerŪ base and rings off ebay but also available from midwayusa. $25/$30? Recently entrusted my FA 83 to a g'smith of national reknown that for whatever the reason, penetrated the barrel. Stuff happens even w/the very best.

Offline Brett

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 03:22:22 AM »
Recently entrusted my FA 83 to a g'smith of national reknown that for whatever the reason, penetrated the barrel. Stuff happens even w/the very best.

I assume your talking about a Freedom Arms M-83... hope he has good insurance and takes care of it for you. 

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 05:17:31 AM »
Recently entrusted my FA 83 to a g'smith of national reknown that for whatever the reason, penetrated the barrel. Stuff happens even w/the very best.

I assume your talking about a Freedom Arms M-83... hope he has good insurance and takes care of it for you. 
If your right and I read it that way too

OUCH :o

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »
Yes he did and thats all I'll say about him as he is indeed worthy of the trust/confidence of the many others have placed in him. I suspect that on the small job, perhaps one of his apprentices gained some experience. He was a gentlemen about it and aside from my initial re-action I'm over it.

Offline Tommyt

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »
Yes he did and thats all I'll say about him as he is indeed worthy of the trust/confidence of the many others have placed in him. I suspect that on the small job, perhaps one of his apprentices gained some experience. He was a gentlemen about it and aside from my initial re-action I'm over it.
And that is a very Good way to take it, I applaud you, for that and in not going any further with the naming, Stuff like this or That can make one Honest mistake Turn into an A bomb

Tommyt

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »

[/quote]
I've seen one of them on sixgun,dot,com I'll post it for you in a bit
  [/quote]
I found no such site on the internet, are you sure about the address name?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!