Author Topic: Aluminum gas checks?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
Aluminum gas checks?
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
Veral,

I have been hearing and reading stories of people making their own gas checks due to the HUGE price increase in the Hornady checks. 

Have you ever done any experimenting with different metals for gas checks?  I have recent heard of copper, aluminum, and brass being used. 

Would aluminum leave a deposit in a barrel like copper can?

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Aluminum gas checks?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
  I've used a lot of aluminum checks with no fouling or deposit at all contributable to the aluminum.  It is running in both lead and bullet lubricant, which does a good job of keeping it off the barrel.

Bullet swaging supply, the manufacture of Gator checks has added quite a few checks to their line and pretty well covers all the most popular sizes, and fortunately for many shooters they cover what hornady doesn't!  They are glad to sell direct but at present must be contated by phone or email.  Larry Blackmon works full time and runs the show in the evenings, and probably weekends, so make your call after 5 in the evenings.  I'll try to remember to post his email and when he gets it soon, his web site on this forum.
  His checks are equal to Hornady, lyman and RCBS, the last two being Hornady if you don't know. Most of them are cut to the same specs as Hornady, if hornady makes the caliber.  45 espeically are the best available for oversize rifle bullets.  If you mix up gator and hornady checks of one caliber I defy anyone to sort them out!  They are good, really good.  Maybe I said that already, but it's the most important part of this message.

Call 1 318 287 3266 after 5 Lousiana time, to get high quality Gator checks at a lower price than Hornady, and help a small business man build up so he can really benifit the nation.
Veral Smith