Author Topic: Found some cannons  (Read 528 times)

Offline Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
Found some cannons
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
would like a little more info on the markings please .... and can you guess where they are :)

had to use a phone camera so pics are not so good ... will go back with a better camera and try to find out what the marking on the frount is, the number on the other cannon is 398
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Found some cannons
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Australia? New Zealand?

British Rifled 24 pndr  RFG = Royal Gun Foundry. serial # 407 manufactured 1870

70 -3-0  Weight broad arrow = government property mark.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
Memorial to the Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery on Mount Pleasant, overlooking Canberra.
Rifled Muzzle-loading 64-pounder 71 cwt (hundredweight) gun converted from a smoothbore 8-inch 65 cwt shell gun.
I think the markings you're showing on the trunnion face stand for Royal Gun Factory, and the year 1870 would be the date of the conversion from smoothbore to rifle using the Palliser technique. The numbers on top of the tube give the weight of the barrel in hundredweight, 70-3-0, which is 70 x 112 + 3 x 28, or 7,924 pounds.
William Palliser patented 21 ordnance-related inventions, including the armour-piercing Palliser shot. He designed the "Palliser conversion" technique which was used successfully to convert many of Britain's obsolescent but still serviceable smoothbore muzzle-loading guns into more modern rifled muzzle-loaders ("RML") in the late 1860s and the 1870s.
"The 8-inch gun was bored out to 10.5 inches and a new built-up wrought iron inner tube with inner diameter of 6.29 inches was inserted and fastened in place. The gun was then rifled with 3 grooves, with a uniform twist of 1 turn in 40 calibres (i.e. 1 turn in 252 inches), and proof fired. The proof firing also served to expand the new tube slightly and ensure a tight fit in the old iron tube."
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Owen

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
ok so they wernt that hard to work out where lol .... thanks for the rest of the info
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.