Author Topic: Affordable Side by Side?  (Read 8809 times)

Offline Modoc

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Affordable Side by Side?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
I just managed to pick up a pair of the CZ Golden Pheasants one in 12 gauge and one in 20 gauge for $700 and $600 respectively.  They ate both used and in very good condition.  Plan on using them for Upland game and Cowboy Action Shooting since they handle so well for me.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 01:32:34 AM »
Congrats on the CZ pair.  Got any pics?
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:43 AM »
Wow!, sounds like good buys; the CZs I handled were calling my name but much more money so did not come home. What is the weight of each?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
I picked up an AYA model 108 for 375 at a local pawn shop  fits me like a glove  swings good too .. nothing worse then an ill fitting shotgun

Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
Another vote for the Baikal IZH 43. I have the 12 ga Remington SPR 210 version. I just swapped out the hard as a rock recoil pad for a Limbsaver. That made a huge difference for the better. I also cut 4 coils off of the ejector springs. That makes it much easier to close and it will still eject the shells about 6 ft behind me. I put a sling on mine and it is way more comfortable to hunt with. It is a tank of a shotgun, but I like that! The finish on both the wood and the metal is real nice. It's only about a $350 shotgun, but that's OK with me. If I were to get a scratch or a nick in it, I'll get over it. I like the screw in chokes too. For the money they are hard to beat.

Robert

Offline JPShelton

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
....And another vote for the Baikal IZH 43!!   
I've a 12 ga that was imported by E.A.A. about 20 years ago or so.  It was in like-new condition when I bought at a gun show a couple of years back for $175.00.
The gun fits me as if bespoke and I like the way it handles on the swing.  These get a bad rap from some for feeling "like a 2 X 4" or whatever...  Mine balances on the hinge pin, the weight feels centered in the hands. It's not as lively feeling as the Ugartechea 20 ga I used to have, but I'd get into a nasty habit of poking at flushing quail with that gun, whereas my swing is much more fluid with the Baikal.  Mine has barrels that measure a tick under 26".
I shoot sporting clays about 10 times a year with it since buying it.  I usually do the course twice in one day.  I go through about 8 boxes of shells on one of these outings, so the gun has had about 6,000 rounds through it while I've owned it.  It still locks up with the lever left of center, but I'm not too surprised because its a fairly robust gun.
I wish mine was a double trigger model, but the single selective trigger on it has worked well.  I like the location of the barrel selector mounted on the base of the trigger blade kind of like a Winchester M-21.  I can reverse the firing order of the barrels during the mount, if I want to.
I also like having interchangable choke tubes so I can choke the gun up for the task at hand.  I have a full set of Carlson tubes in the Tru-Choke threadding for each barrel, so they can be choked the same if I want to do that.
The chrome lined bores and chambers clean up quick.  The gun is rated for use with steel shot with appropriate choke tubes.
Unless I start shooting registered sporting clays targets again, this IZH-43 is probably the only shotgun I am likely to need from here on out.
JP

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »
About 4 years ago I bought a CZ Bob White 20 gauge. It is a terrific field gun and I sometimes use it for skeet. It doesn't have auto ejectors but that is a minor item.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2019, 05:33:41 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 01:34:02 AM »
yup I had two both bought in the early 80s one a pistol grip grade 1 that cost 700 bucks back then and a grade 2 (I still have) that an English stocked gun and cost 1100 back then. Factor in cost of living and you aren't buying the grade one for even 2000 dollars today. Id look for a 311 savage or one of cheap imports. Bottom line is finding a shotgun both beautiful and a side by side for under a grand is a touch shopping chore.
Browning BSS

You can sure take that one off the affordable list. They are asking over $2000 for them used these days. Why I dunno but they are out of sight high.
blue lives matter