Author Topic: Affordable Side by Side?  (Read 8808 times)

Offline pol6320

• Trade Count: (0)
Affordable Side by Side?
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »
Any Suggestions or input on an affordable side by side <$750?

Kind regards,
Pol6320

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Affordable Side by Side?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:26:28 AM »
The CZ guns fall in your price range.  the Pheasant and the Bob White.  They are well made good looking guns that have both English and American features.  English - Splinter fore ends, double triggers, and strait wrists
American - Screw in chokes, double beads, single trigger, pistol or prince of whales grip, and beaver tail or semi beaver tail fore ends.
www.cz-usa.com
I would also look in the used bins for an LC-Smith, Hunter, Baker, Ithaca, Browning BSS, or SKB (Ithaca 100-400) for a good used side by side.
If you can find the Ugathatecha guns from Spain.  The old M30 is a good looking game gun.  I own two.
Also own all of the used guns I named. Plus the Stevens 311.  Not as good looking but functional.
Down side to the SXS is the Cowboy action shooters have driven up the prices.  You used to get a SXS of the same quality as an O/U for about 2/3 the price.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »
Browning BSS

You can sure take that one off the affordable list. They are asking over $2000 for them used these days. Why I dunno but they are out of sight high.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:47:01 AM »
Take a look at a Stoeger Uplander (made by Benelli).  Very reasonably priced and look like a good gun for the money.

Jake

Offline Benaiah

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:49:09 PM »
I recently bought a Baikal SxS 12 ga, 28" barrels. Have knocked down 2 quail with it so far, and it's not too nice to worry about scratching it up in the briars. Fixed chokes though. Otherwise a decent gun for the price.
I've shot many a sassy bandit with just my pistol!

Gus McRae

Offline pol6320

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. I would love an SxS but I do not receive any satisfaction of having a $2k shotgun. For now, I will look at the used gun bins. If nothing comes up in a month or so, I really like the Stoeger Uplander Supreme in the SS and Blue finish.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
A used mod 24 Winchester would fit your budget.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »
I like the Stoeger a lot. I have shot the Remington O/U recently in 20 and 12 and have one in the near future for the wife in 20. It is the best shooting double barrel I have ever shot. I have only shot a few different brands of the economical variety so count my opinion as useless about the $2000 ones.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Find a used L.C.Smith featherweight field grade. You will love it ;D

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
pol6320,

Its best to find a gun that fits you.  You have to go the the stores and handle them to see what feels goodl.  Its best to buy used as many of us double shotgun guys end up with more than one.

Here is a link on shotgun fit.   
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3853075/Re_Shotgun_fit#Post3853075

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
Depends a bit on gauge - with 20's and .410's going higher.  I think the used Ithaca-imported SKB's are a steal in today's market.  I bought a really nice model 100 in 20ga IC/M for just over $800 off Gunbroker this past October.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »
I've got 2 Baikal side-by-sides.  One 12 and one 16.  The 12 came with choke tubes, and I've used it trouble-free for about 5 or 6 years now, shooting trap at my club most summer weekends.  These are tough, well-made shotguns, but if you are left handed, by chance--be warned.  Those guns are almost all stocked cast for a right handed shooter.  They'll feel good when a lefty like me points them but you'll miss more than you hit.  They are cheap enough though that you can rasp away some of that stock wood to straighten it out for a lefty.  Actually, once you get below the finish the Russians put on them, they often have a pretty nice piece of wood on the stock and forearm.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47:04 AM »

Kind regards,
Pol6320

I really like the CZ side X sides...very well made firearms, nice wood to metal fit, functionally sound and solid, and a dang nice gun to shoulder and shoot.

I also own a Turkish import called a Gazelle...this is another well made firearm. And I would say that its quality is on a par with the CZ product line at about $150-$200 less. My side X side also has a stock that is canted for a right handed shooter at no extra cost and wow my eye just lines up everytime I shoulder it. Very nice Shotgun without breaking the budget.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
few years ago I bought a cz bobwhite in 20g. For the price it's a great gun and the fit and finish is right up there..

Offline cwall

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »
Browning BSS

You can sure take that one off the affordable list. They are asking over $2000 for them used these days. Why I dunno but they are out of sight high.

$2000?  I have a Browning 20 BSS I bought in 1977 +/-.  Never thought it would go for that.

Cwall

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:09 AM »
Check out the new Stevens Gold Feather in 20 ga. It looks good in the picture .

Offline FourBee

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 03:31:04 AM »
Check out the new Stevens Gold Feather in 20 ga. It looks good in the picture .

Just did a read on the Stevens 612. Has some interesting features like the Stainless Steel Breech Face set in an Aluminum Receiver, a new inovation for SxS's.    OAL 43 1/8";  5 lbs 6oz  weight, 26" bbl. 5 interchangeable chokes tubes from full to skeet.  Suggested Retail $799..   Made by 'Hatfield Gun Co., Torun, Turkey ' .   Importer "Savage Arms".  :)
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 03:38:59 AM »
Browning has had an alum frame O/U with steel breech face for some years now.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Browning has had an alum frame O/U with steel breech face for some years now.

Yes; the article in 'American Rifleman, June 2010 issue, page 56, mentioned that of many O/U's , but is uncommon on the SxS's.   The weight is one factor that drew my attention.  My old Fox SxS is so heavy.  Shoots great, but toting it around has always been somewhat of a burden to me. ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »
My point is it works  ;D

Offline FourBee

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 06:07:36 AM »
If Pol6320 is still in the market for a new SxS, this one would be worth checking into.  It's affordable, sleek, and light.  Might be just what he's looking for.  8)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »
Quote from: FourBee
Check out the new Stevens Gold Feather in 20 ga. It looks good in the picture.

Just did a read on the Stevens 612. Has some interesting features like the Stainless Steel Breech Face set in an Aluminum Receiver, a new inovation for SxS's.    OAL 43 1/8";  5 lbs 6oz  weight, 26" bbl. 5 interchangeable chokes tubes from full to skeet.  Suggested Retail $799..   Made by 'Hatfield Gun Co., Torun, Turkey ' .   Importer "Savage Arms".  

I was going to reference this SXS gun too.  I love the 20 gagg for upland duties, altho I prefer to look down a single barrel of an over/under.

But if I was going to shoot an inexpensive side-by-side in a twenty, or equip a smallish or young shooter like a wife or adolescent,  I think this gun would be a TOP CONSIDERATION!  After graduating from the SS .410 that was my first shotgun, I saved paper route money the year I turned 12 to buy a Savage Fox Model B (SXS) in 20ga.

What I like about this Stevens 612 is;
its a 20 gauge, with 3in chambers
lists for @$800
weighs less than 6lbs
has 26inch barrels
stock can [probably/most likely] be shortened without ruining an expensive gun
comes with multiple chokes
and a double barrel to me is like a "backed-up" single-shot!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
I just passed up an Ithaca Flues 20ga. in what seemed like well worn, but well cared for condition for $475; was I wrong?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »

Kind regards,
Pol6320

Quote from: mcwoodduck
The CZ guns fall in your price range ......

Was thinking the same thing.  I'm not a SXS fan (and prefer O/U's), but CZ makes a fair gun.

Of if a deal fell into my lap, every now and then a used Browning BSS might show up around a G, give or take a couple hundred.  The BSS is still a good value when you can find them.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
SXSs - look for used SXSs. With the exception of a Russian IZH-43, all of mine were bought used.
The Russian gun - back well before Remington started importing them - is solid, well made, and effective. Nice wood, nicely finished, well fitted. It was bought new.
The other guns - an Ithaca Flues, a Lefever (before Ithace), a little Stoeger .410 Uplander and a Parker VH - were bought used. None of them cost me more than $400$..
Pete

Offline I make oil

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.thejump.net
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
I have a CZ Bobwhite in 20 ga. with the straight stock.  It is a great gun that I would recommend to anyone.  I don't think there is a better SxS gun out there for the money.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 12:36:21 PM »
So happens I was recently looking at those CZ's.  That would be my choice.

Offline Swampyankee25J

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
I have  2 S/S.  a 16 ga St. Etiene (french) I got a few years back for less than 250.  Also a 20 ga 3" SKB 100 I got years back for less than 200.  My favorite pheasant gun.  Both are now priced much higher but I would not consider selling.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »
Aren't those French guns hand made?

Offline Swampyankee25J

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
Aren't those French guns hand made?
/quote]  No, they were a production gun.  Very well made and mine is still pretty tight.  Some were engraved but mine is blue and color cased.  Finally found a narrow sling for it.  It gets some looks and comments in the field also.