Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 999 times)

Offline Glockfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Howdy
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:21:48 PM »
Hello all,
Just registered to the forums. I am actually putting in my order tomorrow for my Handi-Rifle Survivor Model in .308. I have a 4x16x42 Centerpoint Scope that I plan to mount on it. I intend to sight it in to 200yds. Now, I am BY NO MEANS a gun smith or gun guru. I will be the first to admit that lol. Now, I have done some research and understand that a lot of members float the barrels of their rifles to increase their pattern grouping. I understand the basic concepts of why. The barrel oscillates and the vibration of the barrel in contact with the fore end affects your accuracy. At least, this is my understanding, so please correct me if I am wrong. Now I am aware that the more high power calibers this is even more important due to the increase in vibration and oscillation. I have read how most everyone is placing a nylon flat washer or #12 split lock washer to create the gap. Since that seems to be the consensus I am assuming that is the best method of floating the barrel. My next question though is in regards to a bipod. The one I was looking at is made by Choate and is used on the Varmit Rifle.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?Product_CatalogID=2867&ProductNumber=19-02-08&ProductCode=33&ProductSubCodeID=197&NewProduct=0&recordno=1

Will this fore end function and look well on the survivor model? (Looks arent the most important thing but I dont want it to look hodgepodge and thrown together either  ::) )Also, does the use of a bipod affect the results from floating the barrel. The primary reason I intended to put the bipod on is so that it will have consistent pressure on the fore end each time I shoot... Hopefully leading to more consistent and accurate results.

Anyway, I am extremely excited about getting my rifle and just want to be prepared to get it broken in and as accurate as quickly as possible. Any tips, suggestions and opinions regarding ammo (I wrote down a few that were suggested in the forums but always like additional opinions), washer size used when floating the barrel, bipod pros&cons/different models, etc. What kinda of pattern should I potentially expect to see at 200yds? (I am a fair shot, so what can I expect from the gun is what I am asking lol) Really any advice is appreciated as I can tell from reading some of the posts that you all have quite a bit more knowledge than myself.

Thanks again for the help,

Dustin

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
My best advice is this...
Clean the gun really well when you get it. Take the barrel off and clean the latch shelf, bore and chamber.
Put the gun together and mount your scope with loctite on the rail screws. Shoot the gun with no modifications to see how she does. Alot of times they shoot good with no tinkering. Let us know how it shoots for you. If you have problems with anything don't be afraid to ask for help here.

Spanky

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
Oh and welcome to GBO. ;D

Spanky

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
Welcome to GBO - THE place for your Handi needs. Spanky gave you good advice. Don't mess with some thing that shoots good to start with. Personally I have found that If you want to use a bi-pod you are better off to fully bed the fore end - but that can be a problem when shooting a synthetic fore end. Clean it up good and try it with out any modifications - you might be pleasantly surprised. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:57:22 PM »

Welcome to GBO forums And the wonderful world of Handi's
 Come often, stay late and enjoy your visits here Good luck.
 Marv.

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:32:28 AM »
Thank ya thank ya.. I'll definitely post some range results once I get it out.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:58:02 AM »
welcome aboard buddy, you will like this place. I am looking forward to your next posts and your range report on the .308 Survivor. Congratulations, thats a fine model and caliber with a great record of accuracy and reliabliity....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:48 AM »
I bought a 308 handi to take along with an elk tag up to my brother in law.  I picked up six boxes remington Corelokt 180 soft point for firing in.  I mounted a truglo red dot and at 100 yds first three shells grouped 6",  took scope off and used locktite to remount, tried again and needed eight rounds to zero 3 shot group at 4".  Three days later Ladyelk hit behind front leg, right side and exit out chest on quartering shot.  Coyote 2 days later at 80 yds.  I still have 6 left from the first box.  My brother in law has given me 250 rounds of reloads that I am burning through at the range.  Like Spanky said, before you do any mods to your new rifle fire it in.  You may be surprised.  Me, I'm going to try a few reloads down around 100 gr in a spitzer hollow point other wise it works out of the box.  It works so well I picked up a 45-70 & a223 Handi.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 03:38:23 AM »
ok, well I will test it out of the box first before doing anything. Perhaps I was mistaken, lol which isn't surprising to me, I was under the assumption that floating the barrel would slightly increase the accuracy of a rifle regardless. Perhaps this isn't the case. I'll see how it shoots first before doing anything though.

Is the Loctite necessary? From your post it sounds like it made a big difference. I have never had to do that to a scope before. Just curious to "why" exactly it helped. (By all means if I question something suggested I am not arguing, just clarifying so that I understand)

Thanks for the advice,

Dustin

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 03:46:02 AM »
Dustin, Welcome to the forum.  I Loctite all my bases and scopes......yes it does make a big difference, especially when you miss a really good shot only to find your scope shot loose.  I've done that and it aint good.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »
The Loctite is just insurance against problems later. Any time someone brings me a rifle with accuracy issues the first thing I look for is loose scope/base. If you have a lady around the house and no Loctite, save your money and just use fingernail polish.
As for the free floating, a lot of rifles benefit from it. They may not shoot tighter, but they will usually be more consistant. The issue with the handi's is that the barrel really can't free float due to the way they function. That is why evryone here reccommends that you shoot it first. If it is accurate enouogh for you, leave it alone. If not, work through the steps listed in the FAQ until you get what you are looking for.
You are in the right place for handi questions, I am positive that several people on here know more about the rifles than the people that make them!
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 05:48:19 AM »
Hello Dustin,
Long ago I was an armorer, in that job failure is not an option. M60 machines gun every month were torn down by me to basics and I took to range with assistant gunner.  Fired for function then lockwired every bolt head and fired for zero next day with gunners and assistant.  I took some static for unecessary maintenence but eight months out on readiness test in West Germany my guns and gunners came in second from top in Army Europe.  1st Sgt took notice and rearranged all weapons maintenence as I suggested.  Btn Commander added a stripe, and a hard stripe at that to my sleeve.  I get a new gun, I shoot it out of the box for function not sighting.  If it is close to accuaracy I go back and take apart everything to double check fit and finish.  Reassemble and torque where needed.  Scope then gets loctitite and I go for zero and maybe breakin.  Loctite is cheap and redoable without a lot of hassle. Your 308 should shoot a lot tighter with a scope than I can do with a red dot and old eyes.

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 06:12:49 AM »
Rifle is now ordered and should arrive on Friday. (assuming they have it in stock) So hopefully if all goes well I'll have my first range reports posted this weekend. Thank you all for the advice so far. I will definately put it to good use.

Dustin

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dustin. We'll be anxious to hear how your .308 shoots.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Welcome aboard new friend.  Hope you rifle is a tackdriver out of the box.  If not, you can fix it.  I have several now, and they are all shooters regardless of caliber....

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
+++on all the great advice about shooting it before you do any major mods.  Do locktite that base, I think the military has done some testing and found the scope base to receiver to be a weak link in the accuracy scheme. 

I have a 308 that started out a  survivor, but now brandishes a cin. laminate thumbhole.  The craziest thing is it will shoot silver bear 147gr sp through one ragged hole at 100!  I haven't been able to duplicate with my handloads  ??? ???

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
+++on all the great advice about shooting it before you do any major mods.  Do locktite that base, I think the military has done some testing and found the scope base to receiver to be a weak link in the accuracy scheme. 

I have a 308 that started out a  survivor, but now brandishes a cin. laminate thumbhole.  The craziest thing is it will shoot silver bear 147gr sp through one ragged hole at 100!  I haven't been able to duplicate with my handloads  ??? ???

That is the accuracy I like to hear! Can't wait to see what results I get. I will try those out as well. Once I get it sighted where I want it I will try a few different kinds of ammo and see which it prefers.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
The only thing I do to a new handi before I shoot it is to clean it then do the JB bore paste thing to the bore then clean it again I did this with an ultra varmint heavy bbl 308 and with the coffee jitters was shooting 1.5" at 100 yds with rem 150gr core lokt and the more I shoot it the better the groups are getting
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »
Welcome! Like many guns these sometimes need to be shot a bit to break in the barrel. Then again sometimes they shoot great on your first trip to the range. I guess I'm just trying to say don't let it get you upset if you aren't shooting great groups your first time out. I remember a Savage rifle I owned that took about 100 rounds before the groups really tightened up. Another word of warning, these rifles are very addictive. There's just something about a single shot rifle that really grabs a hold of you.
Don

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
Another word of warning, these rifles are very addictive. There's just something about a single shot rifle that really grabs a hold of you.
Don

Mmmmm.....that may be why I own a dozen or so ??? ??? :o ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
Had the Center Point scope and light-weight bipod on my 22 Hornet Handi - free floated the barrel and did not clean it much, and it worked fine. Many Handis like dirty barrels, only clean after you have shot enough thru the barrel (50-100), established accuracy, then after a few hundred more rounds when the accuracy starts to wain, then do a light cleaning. Less than 10 shots should produce the prior accuracy and don't clean it till it wains again.

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
Went to pick up my rifle today... he said he contacted half a dozen people trying to find one and no one had em in stock  :-\ :-\

Soo... no range reports this weekend... I suppose I just have to wait longer and will get it whenever it finally comes in...

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
Welcome aboard!, don't wait to long, just get one of whatever caliber you can find and start your collection. ;)  Yer gonna be getting more anyway, so why wait? ;D  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?