Author Topic: plastic sights  (Read 826 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
plastic sights
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Hi Tim, regarding this statement of yours:
"The only centerfire barrel with plastic sights is the 500S&W,  other than the 45 Colt, barrels have the Williams WGOS metal sight."

I cannot understand why they ever put plastic sights on these. The rear sight on my .500 barrel never stays were it is supposed to.
Do you know if "new" owners of H&R will swap the (defective) .500 plastic sights for steel ones, in a similar move that the old original H&R did at one time?

Thanks for any thoughts and insight....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: plastic sights
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
I dunno, my H&R contact changed jobs so I no longer have an insider to ask,  but they certainly should replace them if they don't work properly, maybe a call to H&R CS would provide an answer, I bought my 500S&W barrel used with no sights, but there certainly have been enough complaints about the plastic sights to warrant H&R providing a replacement.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
Thanks Tim, I will make the call and report back....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
You need to get a new insider Tim. :D
We can't have our "go to" Handi guy not knowing. ;)

Spanky

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:01:14 AM »
I tried to enlist the help of the fella that replaced him, he answered one question that I had sent to his predecessor, and he asked who I was, I introduced myself and asked another question, he hasn't replied since.  ::) I think we were lucky to have the input that we got for the last 3yrs.

Tim

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:52 AM »
Hi guys, I called the number listed in the FAQ's (it is in NC) and they are not there because of the storm, I could not get a person to speak to, don't you hate automated systems? Perhaps I should have called Illion? If so is there a number for NY?...I will try again tomorrow. And I think we were very lucky to have Tim and his "insider" for the last 3 years, it would be nice to have someone there that knew what was going on that we (or Tim) could speak to....<><...:)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:28:35 AM »
I think Tim needs to get himself a "part time" job as a "field staff", he'll get some goodies to play with, some hunting time in..(after all it would be your JOB! ..right?  ;D)
we get the skinny on whats going on and an honest report.  Heck I think I best get my resume out, that sounds like a good deal, forget I mentioned it   ::)
 :D :D :D

Dave

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »
Well guys I finally finished up this plastic sight problem. I finally called H&R and got a nice and seemingly well informed young woman named Casey. She says there is no way for them to replace the plastic sights with metal ones and that she had a set in front of her as we spoke. She also said most people liked them(!!!) I politely disagreed and said perhaps they liked the firesight aspect but not the "made out of plastic" part. She agreed there were problems with them staying put and suggested a drop of loctite, AFTER they were sighted in.
She said she had been searching and asking for something to tell customers regarding a replacement that would fit but could only offer that the dovetail is a standard 3/8" and perhaps if the customer purchased a 3/8 sight insert from Williams or some other company they could replace the plastic part.
I asked her the reasoning of using metal sights on all other open sighted barrels but plastic sights on one barrel only, the .500 S&W, no real answer, just a company decision, also that many/most liked them. I find that difficult to believe, skewed statistics I guess.
In answer to my direct question, if the company was going to phase out the accessory barrel program, she answered with a resounding NO!!, she said that was a large and important part of thier sales and they were having trouble keeping up with the orders.
So, I am stuck with the crappy plastic rear sight that does not stay in place unless I want to loctite/glue it in position and the company seems to be doing well, especially the accessory barrel part.
I will continue my quest for a replacement rear sight for the .500 barrel....<><....:)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »
Thanks Andy.  ;)

Tim

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »
I'm glad to see them trying to keep costs down, but it just defies logic to choose a plastic sight for the one barrel that will generate the most recoil. I would have preferred it came with no sights and drop $5 off the cost. It doesn't seem to be worth any more than that.
Don