Author Topic: .22-250 ultra  (Read 1414 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.22-250 ultra
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:57:31 AM »
wonderin for how has one how accurate r they? plan on loading my own ammo. but i would like to know what kind of groups r possible. going to be using it for pdogs

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: .22-250 ultra
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »
Haven't shot one, but for me, I see throat erosion in your future.  How about a nice 223 with a rangefinder?
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »
Load it HOT it will burn it up, Load it mid it will last a LONG time. Mine is a one holer. It will shoot as good a most shooter's can hold it. Polish your bore and have a good time doing it ;D. 26-t

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »
Have shot thousands of rounds thru a 22-250 that were near max and have NEVER heard of  any excessive errosion. I have a .223 and like it, but it's not in the same league, as the 22-250. The 220 swift has a reputation of burning barrels. Find a good load and enjoy it. The 22-250 has been hitting things a long way off for many, many years ;D. Don

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
have one ordered in a savage but i was almost thinking of going in a .223 in that and going with a .22-250 in a handi.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
I have shott a 22 250 for a while now.  It is a fine cartridge, but like all cartridges, you can't cheat the laws of physics.  Pushing a little bitty bullet down a narrow tube with lots of powder limits barrel life for max accuracy to about 1500 rounds in a 22 250, though it'll still be a good dog gun to more than twice that many shots.  After that, a barrel set back in generally necessary, but most folks will do better with a swap.

I am waiting on funds to switch mine to a 7mm BR (same bolt face, but about 4 times the peak accuracy life).  Yes, bullets are more, but it is a really fine, highly accurate cartridge.  When you figure the additional life expectancy of the barrel, the net cost difference between cartridges is negligable.  Plus, from an accuracy perspective alone, the 22 250 pales in comparison.

I like the 223 because it doesn't kick at all in a Varmint weight gun.

The best thing about all these cartridges is that there is one for almost everyboby's tastes, and there is really no wrong chambering.  If you like a given cartridge, and are willing to deal with the tradeoffs, then a .22 Eargensplittenloudenboomer is pretty cool too :D :D :D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline chair

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:45:46 AM »
Hello Guys!

I joined this forum about a month ago. Recently bought a H&R Ultra Varmint in 204 caliber. I have a Shepherd scope on it which I had someone else install. I'm really a novice about rifles and shooting, but my rifle shoots very well. I feel like I can hit anything I shoot at. I don't pretend to know as much as the guys on this forum, but I bet you'll be happy with your rifle.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
I would never try to be difficult or take anyone here to task, but I do hate to see any 'mis-quotes' repeated.  Physics says that the more powder we shoot, the hotter the barrel steel gets for a fractionally longer period of time.  But have any of us ever 'shot out' a barrel?  When I was younger, I traded off a couple that had lost their fine edge of accuracy, but now I know I just needed to clean them properly.  Now I really question it when I hear a certain cartridge burn out a barrel.  Most of us shoot for enjoyment and target and hunting.  Has any gun we have owned actually had to be replaced because it 'shot out' the barrel?  I guess the man that does as much shooting as anyone I know would be Quick, and I wonder if he considers he has ever done that.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Hello Guys!

I joined this forum about a month ago. Recently bought a H&R Ultra Varmint in 204 caliber. I have a Shepherd scope on it which I had someone else install. I'm really a novice about rifles and shooting, but my rifle shoots very well. I feel like I can hit anything I shoot at. I don't pretend to know as much as the guys on this forum, but I bet you'll be happy with your rifle.

Chair,
Enjoy the .204 and the fact that it shoots good.  Read all the FAQs just in case things go away.  A bunch of us shoot the Handi .204 and it is the most fun gun I have ever owned.  A friend and myself this a.m. just dusted two more yotes.  One at about 156 yd and the other at least 300yd.  It really bowls them over!
Kansasj
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
I have hunted GH for 50 years and IMHO the 22-250 is the finest round there is..................................JMO

Mc

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »
I have been shooting the 22-250 since 1972 when I bought a 700 BDl Remington 700 for the princely sum of $139.00 (including 100 rounds of Remington ammo and a nice case)It sent  a critter to the happy hunting grounds before it"shot out" .According to my records it took 2700 "hot " loads to erode the throat to jump from 1/2 " groups to 1", the funny part about it was the group size changed all at once , not getting gradually worse over time.
 I still own a 22-250 and enjoy shooting it . It is a great cartridge and will hold its own against any of the 224 bore, including all of the super fast wildcats
Shoot your Ultra till the barrel goes and you will have many  tales to spin over a cup of coffee and a campfire  ;D    
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
The trick to not shooting a barrel out,is not get it real hot.I have a Ruger in 220 Swift with over 3000 rds. through it,and I bought it used. A few yrs. back I had a load for 40 BT's that would make one hole at 100 yds that would measure .254" from outside to outside of the hole. It killed everything that anyone at the PD shot at. I would'nt worry about shooting the barrel out on a handi. I have a fluted 22 250 barrel that was very accurate until it shot loose in 80 rds.in my Ultra.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
you know the funny thing about all theese replies is only about one of them covered the question I asked. I never asked about the barrel getting hot and wearing it out. you can wear any barrel shooting a gun enough. I thoughts thats what metal on metal did. caused friction. I just simply asked if theese. .22-250 ultras can cut a good group. if i was worried about wrecking the barrel i wouldnt have bought a rifle at all. maybe just sling shot. I dont know what some people have done wrong over the years but my cousin has a .22-250 and a .22-250AI that he loads pretty hot and puts about 5000 rounds through each in a year. Hasnt complained of lost accuracy and this guy would of noticed it. Im not harping on anyone and i do appreciate the answers but all i wanted to know if  the .22-250 ultra can be accurate. i didnt want to buy a polished turd and puts lots of money into it.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
I have to say it though I know some folks might not like it......................if you want accuracy out 300 yards buy  a bolt action....Remmy 700.........JMHO.

Mc

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »
Sorry for the unwanted reply. Any brand of gun can be a shooter, or a dud. Don

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »
Yes, I have shot out a 22 250.  I also shoot BR, and yes, absolutely barrels get shot out.  If anyone would like my current 22 250  barrel, I'd be glad to sell it to them very cheap.  It has about 2450 down the tube, and the throat looks like it it made of marble under a scope (37.5 gr H380, and a few Varget loads).  Yes, I also know how to clean a barrel properly.  Like Jeepman says, 2500 to 3500 is the useful life of a barrel chambered in this cartridge; BUT, IT IS A SUPER CARTRIDGE!!!!

I'm done commenting, because like I said, it is a matter of tradeoffs, and everyone has great ideas.  If you like hot cartridges, a 22 250 ultra, a 22 250, or anything else like it are fabuluos.  The key is, are you having fun, and if so, knock yourself out.

Offline arg2761

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 02:30:47 AM »
slickest:

These are out my 22-250 Ultra Varmint Bull Barrel. @ 100 yards, Remington UMC JHP 50gr.
First time at the range:

Second time:

First shot in this one was a "fouling shot", as  I was informed by my forum peers.

argon