Author Topic: trigger job success  (Read 465 times)

Offline cephas53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
trigger job success
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »
Downloaded the 2 descriptions for the trigger job from the FAQ's. Out to my room and had the Coleman going with coffee and some tunes. Let er snow. The part I was apprehensive about, driving out the receiver pins went easier than expected. Did notice two things. First is how little honing was needed to lighten the pull. Second my slave pin for the trigger assembly was smaller than original pin, so it wouldn't function properly until original pin was fit. This plum evaded me for a bit but finally figured it out. Don't have a tool to measure pull but it's at least half of what it was and very smooth. Am liking this thing more and more.
The more I know, the less I know.

Offline rdb

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: trigger job success
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:54:09 AM »
Good Job! I've been thinking about doing a trigger job, too.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
Now you need to test for function, to make sure it fires the primers consistantly.

Take a fired case, de-cap the primer and insert a new one with a half-dozen cases.

Fire the primer and make sure you get a good hit and the primer goes off each time.

Not all primers are equal. CCI is the hardest, and Federal the softest. Winchester & Remington are in the middle.

With my 308 handi, CCI's are not consistant I get a 10%-15% FTF rate. Federal Primers are a 100%.

If you do not reload, then you just take your chances with factory ammo.

Good Luck !

Offline cephas53

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
Good advice Lefty. Testing was done after completion. My current load is running the Fed primer, no problems. Shot two five shot groups. Am able to shoot out the window of my work room. Have a target 100 paces out. Didn't consider hardness of primers. Think I have some CCI's in the stockpile. Will give them a try.

Edit: Won't hurt to try but on reflection didn't modify the hammer spring.
The more I know, the less I know.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »
When I first got my .308 barrel back from H&R, they also did the action/trigger job.

I loaded a box of 20 308's for trial and sight in. These loads were using Federal primers.

With out thinking I prepared & loaded 100 round W/ CCI primers. This is where I experienced the hard primer issue with the CCI's. I have no issues with Federal Primers. I now use the CCI's for my bolt guns only. I even have problems with my Winchester 94, Which BTW has a reduced power hammer spring.