Author Topic: Suggestions for 308 Win  (Read 830 times)

Offline JDNC

• Trade Count: (0)
Suggestions for 308 Win
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »
Veral,
I have two of your LFN moulds in 30 cal. one .310 and one .311 that I have been using with a wildcat with good.  I now have a new Rem 700 LTR in 308Win that I have shot approximately 450 rnds of jacketed bullets through and am bored...and was thinking about trying some cast bullets.  As you know, if I want to load from the magazine I'll have to use an OAL to accommodate the magazine. So..my question is what is your experience with jumping bullets into the throat using full-house cast loads?  I haven't slugged the barrel or throat yet but was wondering what problems I might have jumping the bullet instead of seating into the throat.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JD 

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Suggestions for 308 Win
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
  The particular guns throat is going to figgure highly in what maximum velocity will be, but with LBT bullets I always put a strong drive band up front, which stands a pretty vicious jump to rifling.  Consider the jump in revolvers, which is HUGE compared to rifles, and they can deliver 1 inch accuracy at 100 yards.

Use the largest diameter that will chamber when seated to max length for your magazine, coupled with the slowest ball powders that would be used for jacketed, and work up till accuracy goes out the window.  You should be able to find a load that's near max jacketed 08 speed which shoots with good accuracy.

I forgot to mention.  I have two 30-06 rifles.  One a tight new barrel,  the other an old rebarreled Springfield, with very worn throat, as I recall about .314 at the beginning and LONG, so that the tight barrel ammo has to jump over 5/8 of an inch.   The worn gun shoots best with ammo fitted to it, of coarse but with target loads It will shoot the tight barrel ammo into 5/8 inch at 100 yards, and with stout loads, which I limit to 2400 fps to keep meat destruction under control, it gives excellent hunting accuracy for big game.
  You will not be dealing with a jump anywhere near this illustration.
Veral Smith

Offline JDNC

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:41:35 PM »
Veral, thanks for the reply.

I quess you figured out I meant jumping to the lands not the throat.  My fingers type ahead of my brain sometimes(most of the time).  I generally use extruded powders but  I'll have a look to see what ball powder I have.  I think I might have plenty of H335 and a few more.

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »
  H335 is old Win 760, I hear.  Look no farther, it can't be beat.  In my using it, it seemed to burn a bit faster than 760, and very close to 748, judging by pressure indications with a given charge weight.
Veral Smith