Author Topic: Help with 1861 Colt Navy  (Read 1418 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help with 1861 Colt Navy
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:16:48 PM »
First off - I'm not a "pistol smith".   :o  I'm reading what I can find on taking apart an 1851/1861 Colt Navy but I haven't attempted it yet.  I have both a '51 and a '61.  The '61 I want to order some faux ivory grips for - it is an ASM made in 1988.  I need to remove the wood grips, put the frame back together and then make a tracing of the outline so the supplier can send me a pair that will fit with the least alterations.  My question is this:

What is the least I have to do in order to get the wood grips off and the frame reassembled in order to make the tracings??

In reading the take down instructions posted on this site, it doesn't say anything about grip removal.  If I remove the two screws of the back grip frame that are by the hammer and the screw on the bottom of the grip frame where it attaches to the triggerguard assembly, can the grip then be removed or does more work need to be done?  i.e. removal of the mainspring and trigger guard?  I know the wood grip is "one piece" - is there anything that would prevent the one piece grip from being replaced with a two piece grip held with a thru screw like other makes had (Remington for example)? 

Thanks for any help or advice that any of you can give to me - it is greatly appreciated!  Eventually, I'll get enough courage up to take it completely apart and hope that I don't have parts left over when I put it back together again!  Thanks!   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
Re: Help with 1861 Colt Navy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »
What you are proposing will work.  The trigger guard and mainspring will remain in place, and the grip frame and one-piece grips will slide off to the rear.

These revolvers are not rocket-surgery, so if you have any mechanical ability at all, take down & re-assembly won't be too difficult.

Adapting your revolver for two piece grips would require drilling the grip frame and fitting a cross pin like on a Colt Peacemaker.  I havn't done it but fitting a one piece grip isn't that hard as the centre piece will usually come with the grips as a set and can be glued together. Usually instructions are provided by the grip supplier.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
Thanks Sir Charles - I really appreciate the info.  I've built ML rifles for years, have a metal working background, was a cabinet maker by trade, etc. -  BUT, for some reason, I have this mental block (for want of a better phrase) about taking the durn thing apart.  As my wife tells me, I'm right brained (she's a retired teacher and I would have never survived in her class!) - and I very RARELY read instructions.  Usually I just roll up my sleeves and go to work.  I know if I just sit down and DO IT, I'll be fine.  When I was a kid, I took my mother's sewing machine apart to see how it worked - she wasn't too pleased about it - but I didn't have too many parts left over.   ;D  The disassembly instructions on this site seem pretty straight forward - so I WILL READ THEM before I start so I do it in the right order!   ;D

I kinda figured that I'd have to drill the grip frame and cross pin it if I used 2 piece grips (like a locating pin).  I thougjt I'c use a piece of 1/8 inch brazing rod and soft solder it in place.  I have some walnut I salvaged years ago from a house that was built in the 1830s (5/4 X 12 shiplap that they used for roof boards if you can believe it!).  It has beautiful grain and I'd like to make grips for the '51 out of that and inlay silver stars on them.  It doesn't sound like it would be a big job though to use a "spacer" and make the walnut grips one piece so maybe I'll go that route and just inlay the stars and then engrave them.  The '61 Navy is begging for a pair of faux ivory grips with saloon girls on them.  I also dabble in leather work so am anxious to get the holster cut out and made for it.

Again, many thanks for the information on getting the grips off - I really appreciate it - and I appreciate all the fine folks on here who are willing to share their knowledge!  It's a great place.  I'll pull the grips on the '61 Navy tomorrow and maybe I'll get brave and just keep going until I get a pile of parts on the bench!  Thansk again!  Sincerely, bedbug   :)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:44:13 AM »
You can make one piece grips very easy.  You start with three pieces.  The center piece is fit the the inside of the grip frame then you just glue the two outside pieces on.  Two piece grips are for cartridge guns ;)

You shouldn't have any problem taking your gun apart.  Italian revolvers have been making American table top gunsmiths for years.