Author Topic: Ruger Super Redhawk or Magnum Research BFR  (Read 1749 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Ruger Super Redhawk or Magnum Research BFR
« on: February 07, 2010, 04:00:09 AM »
Was going to buy a stainless 45 LC revolver as a sidearm to carry when I hunt with my 454 Casull Puma. Got to thinking and decided I would be limiting myself to just one of the rounds the Puma would shoot if I just went with the 45 LC and have decided to go ahead and get a 454. I don't plan on shooting that monster a lot but it would be there if I needed it. Have found some resonable prices on a used Super Redhawk and a used BFR in 454 Casull. I can actually get the BFR cheaper by about $75.00. SRH would be a six shot double action while the BFR would be a single action five shot. I'm kinda partial to single actions but would like the opinions of the two guns from the members here. By the way, I looked at the Freedom Arms revolvers too and they're just too expensive.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk or Magnum Research BFR
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
I have zero experience with the BFR.  I do own a SRH in 454.  I do like my SRH , Its certainly accurate enough for hunting.  I can load it up for anything you'd want to hunt with a handgun.  Or use reg 45C loads for plinking.  I will say, however, POA will change significantly when going from full house 454 to 45C loads....guess thats  a given,  most people don't think of that untill they hit the range.  I think the SRH is a little easier to scope than most single actions.  Thats probably a personal opinion though.  I like my SRH , maybe someone will help ya out on the BFR.  Good Luck ,regards  irold

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
I`ve never owned a BFR, they just don`t turn me on. The SRH in .454 is not for those with a limp wrist, but that is my walking gun for deer now, the .500 is just to heavy to shoot off handed.

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
I don't no why its cheaper the BFR is a custom
I'm sorry to say and I own Rugers
The BFR it much a Better Gun
I no there are a ton or Ruger Holic's and that maybe driving
the Price
 But side by Side Ruger =shade tree Hot rod BFR = BMW or Mercedes Sport

Tommy

Be Peaceful Rug-aholics  ;D

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
Have a 454 SRH and 475 BFR. Like'em both. The BFR is like the SBH should have been so my pref is w/it for a SA. The SRH is nice ~ IMO, the SRH in 454 is better built/quality than the same gun in a different/lesser cal. So, that said, all you need to do is decide ~ get one of each ;D They're both large guns and appear to be quality built but folks fail to consider the definition of the B in the BRF. It means BIG compared to other makes available.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:08:32 AM »
sorry but the bfr is not a custom gun. It is made on assembly line just like a ruger. It may be a bit more precisely made but its far from a custom. In my opinion if a 44 mag is all i wanted, rather then a bfr id buy a super blackhwawk in the barrel lenght i wanted and take the extra 3-400 dollars bfr charges and send it for an action job a sight up grade and a nice set of grips and id have a much better packing gun. If its a 454 or 480 your looking for your kind of on your own as i dont care for bfrs or super redhawks alothough ive shoot both quite a bit and have yet to find an inaccurate one of ether model.
blue lives matter