Author Topic: does anyone personally use a mueller scope?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
does anyone personally use a mueller scope?
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
im intrested in a mueller scope for a .223 varmint rifle im getting looking at the 8-32X44mm varmint scope. Im just wondering if they are worth the cash or should i save my money and get something better? I mean does it hold its zero well when using the windage/elevation knobs and go back zero? Is the scope very clear?

Offline scootrd

Re: does anyone personally use a mueller scope?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
When I was shopping scopes GB suggested I look into a Mueller... I ended up with a Burris Timberline 4.5x 14x32. But my next scope I would like to try a mueller.  GB speaks highly of them. Perhaps he will read this tread and be able to give you specifics.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »

I think they are good scoper, I have two not shot with them, if wearther clears up.
 I try them out.  Datil

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:45:49 PM »
yes, they are good scopes. don't know about the return in the click thing because after i dial it in i never change the settings, In my experience game does not sit still that long. You should know your holdover.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:19:00 AM »
this is going be for prairie dogs so i will have the time to adjust. that being the main reason i asked that question

Offline sparkyc2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:53:37 AM »
I use the Muellers for the dogs, work very well and repeatable.  I have them on a 22-250 and a 204, plus smaller scopes on others.  I have some repeatable problems with the APV, minor but no problems on the more expensive types.  Anything above about a 20x is subject to mirage effects anyway in my experience [I hunt dogs in Eastern Montanna],  get a 4x16 or an 8x25.  That is my experience, for what it's worth. 
sparky

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »
I have 2 - 4-10x44 and have no problems with either
1 on a 204 handi
1 0n a 280 handi
once i zero i never change.
I believe the is a write up or two on them here in the product reviews
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 04:41:56 AM »
Mueller APV on a rimfire, fives years of excellent service.
Muller TAC II on a M1A with a Sadlak mount, three years of excellent service.

You can buy a better scope, you can get more bells and whistles, but I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:09:36 AM »
ive got a lighted crosshair 3x9 that i won at a whitetails unlimited barquet on an inline and its been a real good scope. One of the lower priced scopes that ill actually recomend to a freind. Only thing i dont like about them is they tend to be large for the power range.
blue lives matter

Offline brcold

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »
I have an APV and a Tac II.  The Tac II is better -- a nice Japanese made scope -- but not quite enough magnification for me at times, so I just ordered an 8.5-25x44AO Tactical so I can see .223 holes at 200-250 yards without lugging around a huge spotting scope.  Hope it works.

Muellers are very good value for the $ spent.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
I have an 8.5-25X50 AO Eraticator. I've used it on a .223 and a 22lr. Works perfectly. I'd buy another Mueller without hesitation. Great scopes for the money.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline 1 farmer

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:34:19 AM »
I have three, two APVs and I just bought the new APT. The APT has mil-dot crosshairs and adjustable turrets. I've never had any problem with mine and I feel for the price its a very good buy. I have them on a 17HMR and a 22-250 and soon a 223.From what I have compared the Muellers to side by side in a store I would have to spend $300 to get a scope starts to edge it out in performance. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »
Really hadn't noticed this so am just reading it for first time. There are a lot of positive reviews of the various Mueller scopes listed at this site and many other sites as well. They are well made scopes with a lot of value for the money you spend.

It's been a good while since I did the last review but I'm pretty sure I did a test to check for repeatability of the adjustments by shooting the square with them. I'm not much for changing the settings while shooting prairie dogs so don't have experience to say how they hold up to that. I prefer a mil dot reticle and use the dots to determne hold rather than wasting time constantly adjusting. To each their own I suppose.

I also think folks are kidding themselves with those super high power scopes. Unless you're shooting with snow on the ground or doing darn little shooting then mirage gets so bad anything much over 14-16 power just has too much blur for me. Hot days and hot barrels both add to the mirage. I find even when my scope tops out at 21-24X which many of mine do that's more than I'm able to use for PD shooting due to mirage. Same on my shooting range when load testing. I can generally get no more than a couple groups shot before the target starts bouncing around from mirage even at powers in the low 20s. How you guys use 30+ is beyond me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 02:14:18 AM »
got to agree bill i dont have a scope over 20x and most of the time the highest they are cranked up to is 16x other then just trying to look at something.
blue lives matter

Offline kctibs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:32 AM »
Where are Mueller scopes made?
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."
-- Benjamin Franklin