Author Topic: How many left.  (Read 1506 times)

Offline alleyyooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
How many left.
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:25:13 AM »
At one time Marlin, Savage, Mossburg and  Browning all made bolt action slug guns. All I have found recently is the Savages. Any others left?

;D  Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline jjas

• Contributor
Re: How many left.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
At one time Marlin, Savage, Mossburg and  Browning all made bolt action slug guns. All I have found recently is the Savages. Any others left?

;D  Al

Not unless you want to buy used.  Marlin, Mossberg, Browning....done.  Savage has their new 220 20 gauge available in black,camo and a youth version (new for 2010).  The  Savage 12 gauge model 210 isn't in their catalog @ this time.  Is it discontinued?  I've heard it's in for a redesign, but don't know for sure what's going on with it.

I guess you could try Randy Fritz @ Tarhunt for a bolt action slug gun as well.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:07 AM »
You could add to that the Reminton 1100, 870 and 11/87 guns.
Benelli makes quite a few models in rifled slug guns.
Add to that companies like Hastings that makes rifled barrels for many different models.

Offline ptpalpha

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
Hastings is no more.  They closed their doors last year and are auctioning off all remaining inventory.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:51 AM »
You left out the best pump slug gun.
But im intrested in the bolt action ones.

;D  Al

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
Try Tar Hunt
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »
Try Tar Hunt
If you want to put a second mortgage on your house !
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:13:45 AM »
After months and months of trying to figure out what I wanted in a slug gun looking at new & used models at guns shops, pawn shops and the internet I knew I could not afford what I really felt was the best.
http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer2.html
http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer3.html

Second choice was a bolt action of some sorts. Appears I am many days late and dollars short to get a choice of new one. I did look at the new Savage 220. Ive got to say I was deeply disappointed in the one I was showen the only one the dealer had in stock. The recoil pad was pealing off right out of the box. the bolt had a catch in it at about half travel. The dealer said all could be fixed Of which I am sure it could have been. I just couldn't see why some thing like that made it thru final inspection and was shipped to a dealer.

I did how ever find some thing that I liked well enough I could live with it.
Remington 870 express slug in 20 gage.

Now to get out and start trying to find what it likes.

Thank you all who gave advice and suggestions.

;D  Al

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:15:19 AM »
After months and months of trying to figure out what I wanted in a slug gun looking at new & used models at guns shops, pawn shops and the internet I knew I could not afford what I really felt was the best.
http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer2.html
http://www.ithacagun.com/deerslayer3.html

Second choice was a bolt action of some sorts. Appears I am many days late and dollars short to get a choice of new one. I did look at the new Savage 220. Ive got to say I was deeply disappointed in the one I was showen the only one the dealer had in stock. The recoil pad was pealing off right out of the box. the bolt had a catch in it at about half travel. The dealer said all could be fixed Of which I am sure it could have been. I just couldn't see why some thing like that made it thru final inspection and was shipped to a dealer.

I did how ever find some thing that I liked well enough I could live with it.
Remington 870 express slug in 20 gage.

Now to get out and start trying to find what it likes.

Thank you all who gave advice and suggestions.

;D  Al

Congrats on your new gun.  I used to own the same gun myself and found it like lightfields and Remington Copper solids.  If I owned it now, I would also check the new Remington Accu-tips.  Lots of people are saying they shoot well out of various guns.

Jim

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:28:33 AM »
The sale clerk said he has the sam gun and it loves buck hammers.
Looked like Muzzle loader power belts with the tip cut off and stuffed in a shot gun hull to me.

:D   Al

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:16 AM »
so far in life i have had a browning A5 slug gun 1970'2-useless really for slugs . Then over the years several 870 5-12 and 2-20 ga. some good some bad . Best 12 was a smooth bbl with a screw in rifled choke . The rifled bbl 20 is best so far.I know it maks no sense . A winchester 1400 smooth bore slug gun OK to 50 yards , I got it tapped for a choke tube and used it for buck shot . A browning Gold rifled bbl , nothing speical really . The best gun so far is a Savage 210 . It is light years ahead of the others in group size . Its a pain to load and ammo sensitive . A good friend has a Browning A-bolt that is no better . A guy in the club has a Mossberg that shoots OK ( his words ) . Some other friends have single shots that group with the Savage and Browning .
 Now in an effort to be honest before reading and trying the shooters guide on the Tar Hunt site some of the poor shooting may well have been shooter induced not gun failure . What's good shooting ? Out of a clean gun 3 shots at 100 yards 3 inch spread or less . Some days its all touching others its almost touching .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline federali

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
I too went through a succession of slug guns. Starting in the early 60s, I had a 12 ga Mossberg Trophy Slugster, smoothbore, followed by a Browning A5 to which I added a Browning smoothbore slug barrel. I then went to a Remington 1100 with a Hastings rifled barrel. This latter gun was quite accurate with first generation saboted slugs but I layered a piece of duck tape unto the barrel extension to tighten groups ( this was before they offered barrels with the cantelever scope base). It worked quite well.

I found the 1100 to be rather heavy so I sold it and went to an Ithaca Deerslayer II and never looked back. The gun is light, fast and will shoot most saboted slugs to 2.5 inches at 100 yards. While I could be tempted by the pricy Tarhunt or Savage's new 20 gauge bolt gun, the truth is that for the few times I now get into lands restricted to shotguns, the Ithaca is all the gun I'll ever need. My Ithaca wears a Pentax 2.5X lightseeker scope. I highly recommend a Deerslayer II if you can find one.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
I too felt the Ithaca was the best of the production slug guns. How ever the cost has kept me from buying one.
I did find a used one in 12ga. but the former owner ruined it way I saw it.
I also love the Pentex scopes. I have a 2x7 and it is an exllant scope for still hunting the cedar swamps. I also have a 3x9 which allows me to stay to the end of legal shooting hours even deep in a cedar swamp where it gets dark.

;D  Al

Offline kydia

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
I use a Remington 870 SP in 12 Ga. but I've had Ithaca scatterguns since the 70's. I've always liked the fit, feel and function of the design.
My son currently uses an Ithaca 37 in 12 Ga we built using a factory cantilever barrel.
I also got a IC slug barrel a few years back for my 16 ga and installed a pistol scope. A wicked 50 yd deerslaying machine.