Author Topic: 38 special conversion in 1861 navy  (Read 2572 times)

Offline brpc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.rpcrange
38 special conversion in 1861 navy
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:43 AM »
I am considering acquiring an 1861 Navy and installing a conversion cylinder.  I have been told that the replica barrels are .375 in size.  Would this constitute an accuracy problem for normal .358 lead 38 special bullets?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: 38 special conversion in 1861 navy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »
Seemed so to me...  :-\  I abandoned the idea of getting a conversion cylinder for that very reason.

I believe I was told the conversions that come that way from the factory have the correct diameter barrel.  But I can't say for sure from personal knowledge...  ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:34:32 AM »
When using a conversion cylinder in a 61 Navy, I've read that it's best to use hollow base wad cutters that will expand to fill the bore. Most outfits selling factory made conversions are aready barreled for the 38 Special so you don't need to go the hollow base route.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:39:58 AM »
Seemed so to me...  :-\  I abandoned the idea of getting a conversion cylinder for that very reason.

I believe I was told the conversions that come that way from the factory have the correct diameter barrel.  But I can't say for sure from personal knowledge...  ;)

Correct and correct AtLaw. A .357" bullet will fall through the barrel of most .36 C&B revolvers. The options are to use hollow based bullets which MAY expand like a minie ball to fill the grooves and give some semblance of accuracy or do as the original .38 Colt loads, use a heeled bullet of .375" diameter up front and stepped down at the rear to enter the cartridge case. To use heeled bullets you must first assure that the cylinder is chambered straight through like the original .38 Colt cylinders, without a throat which steps down from cartridge case diameter to bullet diameter. You can buy the heeled cast bullets online but you'll also need special loading dies and a hand crimper to crimp the case onto the bullet heel.
 If you buy a Uberti Richards/Mason conversion it will have a .357" bore and shoot as accurately as any modern revolver. The .38 caliber "Conversions" are nice guns but the .45 Calibers are built on a larger frame with a larger and heavier cylinder than the original 1860 Colts and it rather spoils the slim lines which make the 1860 so sexy.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:20 AM »
What coyotejoe said.  A conversion cylinder in a .36 C&B really should include a reline of the barrel.  The Uberti R-M revolver looks like a good way to go.  I may have to acquire one of those someday.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »
My 1862 snub is a 36 with a R&D .38 cylinder. Yes, the barrel is a bit large. Actual comparison is about .006-.007 too big. I have shot about 500 rounds of HBWC with it and have recovered many bullets. The base does expand to obturate well [plug] and the rifling is well engraved. Barroom accuracy, pieplate @ 25 feet. The other gun is a 45. 
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill