Author Topic: Win. 94AE .357 Mag  (Read 696 times)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Win. 94AE .357 Mag
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »
Looking thru this site, I went back about 12 pages, never found anything about the Model 94AE, in .357 with a saddle ring. Anyone have one, and how do they like it? Guess it will take both .357 and .38 spec. I got one a number of years ago, have fired it some, and like the way it shoots and handles. Just wondering about anyone else's experience with this one. Thanks, BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline robinray649

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Win. 94AE .357 Mag
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:01 AM »
Yes I have a Winchester also.  I team it with a Ruger Security Six in .357.  This combo is pretty much what I have with me all the time.  This is also the combo I carry whenever I run my fences.  I have used the Winchester for yotes and any other critters that might cause me a problem.  I use 148 graim sjsp for both.  Enjoy as it is a fine bush gun, quick handling and the .357 is a proven fight stopper.

just my 2 cents

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:58:02 AM »
Not all 357 Winchester 94 will fire the 38 Spl.
We have a trapperAE model that does, and it required some carrier repairs twice in it's 3000 rounds or so in service .It was mainly used in cowboy shoots using light lead loads . The rifle otherwise looks and shoots as newas the lead just polished the bore.

You can hate or Love the little 94's but I wish FN could bring them back on the market .
Happy

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:58:04 PM »
I had one for several years and put a couple thousand rounds through it.  It shot well and fed both 38s and 357s but it did have one problem that lead me to sell it. I broke the shell lifter twice during rapid fire.  The first time it happened the rifle was still in warentee so I sent it back to Winchester and they fixed it.  The second time was a couple years later I was shooting at a running rabbit and the same thing happened.  What happened in both cases was that the rifle let a second round feed from the magazine and it went under the lifter and when I closed the lever it broke the lifter.  The second lifter I broke cost me $35 to replace and when I did the job I noticed that the lifter is thinner than the one in my 44 mag or 30-30. It also does not have a support leg on the left side.  This means that the lifter only has one bar on the right side supporting it.  When I looked over the part I removed I noticed that it is a casting and not very substantial. The part is probably adequat for the job but if a shell gets under the lifter when you are working the lever for speed it means a broken part.  So I sold the gun and bought a Rossi Puma 92 clone to replace it.