Author Topic: Hi Point pistols  (Read 862 times)

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Hi Point pistols
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »
Anyone own a Hi Point?  If so, how about some feed back..

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Hi Point pistols
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
check the hipoint forum
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline jack19512

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
Bulky, rough trigger, good car gun and pretty accurate and goes bang every time.  A lot depends on what your expectations are and what it's main use would be.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:42:16 AM »
You tend to get what you pay for. Yes , it goes bang, but it's bulky, crappy trigger, and does not lend itself well to concealed carry. There are better options.

Offline MGMorden

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:10:28 AM »
Don't own one - have fired several, including one owned by my cousin.

They're cheap, come with a lifetime warranty, are relatively accurate, and the ones I've shot cycled pretty well with no jams.

On the other hand, they're awkward both in feel and in looks, they're heavy, bulky, and they have a limited service life due to the construction materials (expect them to start falling apart after a few thousand rounds - though with the lifetime warranty, as long as they remain in business, Hi Point will replace a shot-out gun for free).  My cousin's also managed to snap the magazine spring in two after a while.  He just bought a new mag for it.

Personally, if I were on a very, very limited budget and really wanted a gun, then I'd be ok with one - though I'd still probably try to find a better used gun instead.  If you can afford to save just a little bit more though, the S&W Sigmas or Ruger P-series are a much better value.  On the used market, look at the CZ-82. It shoots the 9mm Makarov cartridge which is a bit hard to find sometimes, but otherwise it's a very capable and VERY well-built handgun (my only complaint for mine is that for it's size it's a bit heavy, though that isn't really an issue when the alternative is a Hi Point).  Alternatively you can also find PA-63's (also shoots 9mm Makarov) for probably the same price as the Hi Point.

I think they ARE in a different class than the Jennings type pistols though.  The Jennings are a gun for suckers that is more like a paper weight than a real "gun".  The Hi Point is at a similar price point but is still designed and made by people who are trying to make a product that actually works, just with enough design shortcuts to keep the price down.  You have to expect some drawbacks from those shortcuts.

Truthfully, I'd like to see Hi Point make an actual sleeker locked-breech gun with a steel slide and see what they could do in more like the $250 price range rather than the $150 price point they're at now.

Offline PeculiarSatyr

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:32:29 PM »
The slides are made from really cheap metal.  I think it might be cast iron.  I've seen a few pics of once that have broken in half slides and the metal at the break looks really porous.

I'd never trust one to go bang when I need it.  If your life isn't worth more than 150 bucks...I say get one

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
have you ever shot one peculiarsatyr? also the slides arent made out of cast iron its called zamak which is made out of a couple diffrent metals
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
They are ugly, heavy but utterly reliable.
I really like their little carbines though.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".