Author Topic: Dual Dove Tail rings??  (Read 709 times)

Offline Stape

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Dual Dove Tail rings??
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »
I have a set of rings on a 1903 that I need to replace. Someone did a 1903A4 mock-up, and the base thats on there is a one peice redfeild, its rings, from what I gather are dual dovetail, they insert, and twist in and bite into the base. Now, the front ring is different from the rear, they kinda look the same, but where the first one simply twists into the base, the rear ring base lays down flush on the ring base. Does that make sense? So, the rear ring, is retained by two screws on either side of the base itself, that screw in. The back-sides of the screws are hollow, and allow the flared, dovetailed portion of the ring to go into it slightly, so the two screws on the base I speak of, simply screw into bite onto the dovetail, and secure that particular ring to the base. Looking for replacement rings, to get ones higher, I see the dovetail rings, but they all look lke they insert and secure like only the front ring on my current setup. I don't want to mess with a new base as this one s already good and finding a base for a 1903 that'll line up with the holes that were drilled and tapped into a clone would/could be a chore. So is this common base/ring set-up or do I have something old and outdated / hard to find? I don't have any experience with these kind of rings and thei variations.

Thanks all.

Offline Fotto

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dual Dove Tail rings??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »
This style ?
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/mounts.html#redfield

Quoted from the above website

Redfield and compatible Rotary Dovetail
The second most common mount type, with many clones, is the Redfield type.

After WWI and general disatisfaction with the optics and mounts used, the US Army asked the Redfield Gun Site Company to address the problem. The result is the Redfield Rotary Dovetail Mount that is still with us today.

Redfield mounts are still made today under the Redfield name by the same company that makes Weaver. The one-piece bases are called JR and the two-piece SR. Burris makes them and calls them Universal Dovetail, Leupold calls them STD and Millett calls them Turn-In Rings and Mounts.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
You DO NOT have dual dovetail you have the standard redfield patent that most everyone makes these days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Stape

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:54:06 AM »
Thanks fellas.  So, I need to look for redfield rings of the dovetail sort?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:23:11 AM »
Redfield, Burris, Leupold or any of a dozen other brand names all use the same original Redfield patent base/rings. All are more or less interchangeable. I prefer to stay with same brand base and rings but they mix and match OK.

I hate them with a passion and will only use them if that's the ONLY type base/ring available for the rifle I have. It is the weakest base/ring system currently in use today. It has ruined more scopes than all others combined. Still if you are stuck with that base and can get nothing else better to replace it then you are stuck with the rings.

Probably the best of them are the Burris Signature rings. I use them most of the time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:20:56 AM »
Alright GB...now I'm intrigued...

It is the weakest base/ring system currently in use today. It has ruined more scopes than all others combined.

What's this all about????
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Stape

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:28:10 AM »
The problem is that I don't believe it to be a standard base.  Its not like I'm looking for a base set for a remmy 700.  Its a one peice base for a 1903 that someone had drilled and tapped.  Maybe theres a better one peice base with the mounting holes in the same location that would utilize a better ring system?   I could see how a scope would be ruined or damaged if one didn't line up the bottom rings correctly and went to cranking the top ring halfs down on the scope.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »
Your base is usually referred to as a "standard", "windage adjustable rear", or "universal" base. It is not a double dovetail base which uses the same dovetail ring in the front and rear.

If you want to replace the rings with a set that will fit right and will not bind your scope  tube due to possible ring misalignment, use these Burris Signature rings. The set you want is called "Universal" which is dovetail in front and windage adjustable in the rear.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:37:02 AM »
Have this type base on one of my Savages.  Burris Signature rings are the way to go. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
Weakest because it basically has only one point of contact to fight the recoil forces acting on the scope. That silly windage adjustable rear point is the weak point in the mounting system.

It is also the reason many scopes are ruined. If you actually try to use it as a windage adjustment the you misalign the rings with each other and put torque on the tube of the scope. I've seen lots of scopes actually bent by these base/ring combos over the years.

If you use any sort of ring other than Burris Signature rings you really should lap them in or ream them tho I prefer lapping. First tho you must get them into proper alignment which I do using to aluminum rods with pointed ends. The pointed ends are mated together and when they touch you know the rings are aligned. About half the time with windage adjustable rear rings there is a vertical misalignment even if you get the left to right adjustment aligned.

These stupid rings are why most all used scopes have serious ring marks on them. The worse example I've seen was so bad it actually cracked the scope tuble where the ring touched it due to the misalignment.

I will not use the base/ring combo on any gun I own unless there is just no other option available. Then I am extremely careful to use the pointed rods to align them and then lap them in before I ever set a scope into the rings.

Alright GB...now I'm intrigued...

It is the weakest base/ring system currently in use today. It has ruined more scopes than all others combined.

What's this all about????

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
STAPE-

Its a common base set up.  If you are worried about it, take the base to a well stocked gun shop, and match the hole spacing to a set of weaver type bases.  They only cost a couple of bucks, and the design is strong.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »
Thanks GB!!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!