Author Topic: Antelope tastes great!!!!!!!!  (Read 660 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Antelope tastes great!!!!!!!!
« on: November 07, 2003, 01:57:02 PM »
:eek: Well I gotta say that I was a little skeptical about hunting antelopes cuz I dont kill what I dont eat and I had heard that antelope were "stringy, tough and tasted like sage brush".  Well, my boys and I got 3 bucks and we have quite a bit of antelope in the freezer.  I never smelled such a stinky animal in my life.  I thought " if this meat tastes like these things smell . . . it is going to be a   L  O  N  G  WINTER.  But within the same day as each was taken I skinned them out , quartered them and got em on ice.  Then I butchered them myself (no bone, silver skin etc... for me ) and got em froze.  

This meat is delicious! :eek: It has no foul odor.  It is actually milder than any venison I have ever had and it readily takes on other flavors/marinades etc...  I have marinaded it and cooked it with a pork roast ,so far, and it is excellent eating.  My entire family loves it.

Why didn't you guys tell me it was so good?  These guys that told me it was bad eating must not take care of it right or they been eaten 5 day old roadkill. :wink:

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 11:02:42 AM »
:D We did tell you. It's real good on the grill too. Enjoy! Maybe those other guys didn't get their animals skun and cooled down right away. I saw a guy haul one to Wisconsin with maggots crawling on the bullet hole lying on a trailer in the sun. Good meat care makes for good eating.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 11:10:20 AM »
Fred,

The fools(can't bring myself to call them hunters) that get me are the ones that tie their kills over the front of their car(truck or whatever) and drive home with them that way and then complain that game meat isn't fit to eat.  I even saw one guy that had a Black Bear tied to the front grill of his motor home, a GMC worth in the neighborhood of $100,000, driving down I-5.  I only hope it blocked enough of his grill that he burned his motor up.  If new hunters would take the time to learn how to properly take care of the game it would pay off with a freezer full of the best eating meat on this Earth.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 03:34:16 PM »
Longwinters,

I believe that the antelope tastes the same as what it eats.  I found some antelope in WY that lived on sagebrush and tasted like sagebrush.  I also found some that were eating in stubble fields and they were great.  Now if I could only get them to eat the right spices.............................

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline BLACK BEAR

Eating antelope......
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 05:07:42 PM »
At my birthday party in October, my 65th, I was the chef preparing several skillits on antelope backstrap. my daughter brought the side dishes and desert.

Yummy, the antelope was fantastic, bacon, onions, green peppers, salt, pepper, etc turned the simple meal into a very special treat. My son and I brought home four Wyoming antelope. They were field dressed, skinned, washed and cooled shortly after the shot. After cooling over night we covered them with high quality game bags. I teamed up with a hunting buddy and we cut and wrapped six antelope, most of witch has been consumed already.

Another favorite of mine is "two beer" steaw......takes about one beer to dice up all the potatoes, carrots, onions, etc and cube up the meat from the front shoulders and misc. trim pieces add the second beer to the crock pot with enough  water to cover the mix.....GREAT EATING!!

BB

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Antelope
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 02:47:43 PM »
I have hunted antelope in Wyoming for many years, lots of fun to hunt. To eat is another story. We used to take them to Rapid City locker and trade out for jerky. The locker closed and we carted them back to Iowa. Hired a cooker who usually smokes a hog and had a bar-b-que with 4 Antelopes. Everyone had there fill mostly brew, and our antelope cook was deemed a success. Several days later we found out that the left overs(was a lot) When reheated was terrible. I tried it and my dog would have nothing to do with it.
Jim