Author Topic: not necessary to carry in church... or is it?  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
not necessary to carry in church... or is it?
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:10 AM »

2 teens shot during church service in Richmond

Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, February 15, 2010

(02-14) 20:05 PST RICHMOND -- Three young men with black sweatshirt hoods pulled over their heads walked into a packed church service in Richmond on Sunday, where one of them opened fire and wounded two teenagers sitting in the pews, police said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/14/MNDK1C1O68.DTL#ixzz0fbnrSSnf

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: not necessary to carry in church... or is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:27:13 AM »
     I say if you have been cleared to carry a concelled weapon, that you have been deemed a GOOD person and their should NOT be any place where you are FORBIDDEN to carry none no question everywhere PERIOD.   Jim

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
You can carry in churches in TN. I carry and so do MANY in my church. We have an instructor in the church and about 1/3 of the congregation that did not already have their carry permit took the class about a year ago and now have theirs. A number of the members are in on a plan of action if something was to go down.
You never know what will happen or where it will happen these days. No doubt the shooting in Richmond VA was probably gang or drug related or both.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:44:44 PM »
Illegal to carry in church in Ga. or at any public gathering, like a parade, etc.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »
Illegal to carry in church in Ga. or at any public gathering, like a parade, etc.

OH  NO!!!!!!!

i  carried  my  357 IN  a parade  in  georgia  last week end
does that count??

a man  should always be  armed....it is  his  right  and  used to be his duty
according to jefferson

why should a church  be different?
why would policy  change  ove  a single  event  like  this church shooting  or  columbine
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

OH  NO!!!!!!!

i  carried  my  357 IN  a parade  in  georgia  last week end
does that count??

a man  should always be  armed....it is  his  right  and  used to be his duty
according to jefferson

why should a church  be different?
why would policy  change  ove  a single  event  like  this church shooting  or  columbine

I guess it ain't illegal if you don't get caught...... ;)

Offline gman628

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:01 AM »
Not leagal to carry in curch in Mich. either unless you have the permission from the pastor, ministor, ect..., good luck getting that.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
Carry your gun always, regardless of legal restrictions, is something to consider.  If you carry into a particular private place that says you can't, what law have you violated?  Trespassing, a misdemeanor.  Schools, courts, and other gov't locations are another matter entirely.  Specific laws prohibit concealed weapons on gov't property, and I think we'd be stupid to carry there. 

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
     I say if you have been cleared to carry a concelled weapon, that you have been deemed a GOOD person and their should NOT be any place where you are FORBIDDEN to carry none no question everywhere PERIOD.   Jim

I agree, totally and I couldn't have said it any better.

yooper77

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »
Not leagal to carry in curch in Mich. either unless you have the permission from the pastor, ministor, ect..., good luck getting that.

You have standing permission from this Pastor to come armed anytime I'm in the pulpit. Chances are even I will be too.  ;)
held fast

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
In Texas it is illegal to carry in a church. Oh well. Don't ask, don't tell. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »
YOU have have done nothing wrong, so YOU should not be stopped from exercising your rights to defend your self/family anywhere! In AL(under State Law) you can carry anywhere. In some places schools and alcohol,ect. may apply, but that is local. As an LEO, I carry everywhere, to a fault( Shotgun + Rifle in car). Lately you cannot tell where the CaCa will strike the rotating oscillator, so "Don't Leave Home Without It" should be more than a credit card commercial!  The idiots that object to this idea have a purpose on God's Plan-cannon fodder, training aids for Para-medics,etc., God Bless and don't forget the extra mags!

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
Carry your gun always, regardless of legal restrictions, is something to consider.  If you carry into a particular private place that says you can't, what law have you violated?  Trespassing, a misdemeanor.  Schools, courts, and other gov't locations are another matter entirely.  Specific laws prohibit concealed weapons on gov't property, and I think we'd be stupid to carry there. 

I guess the real question here is "how many misdemeanors do you get before your CCW is pulled"
And do you really want to stir up that much trouble?

::) ::) ::)

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
So...We have a offering being collected worth possible $X,XXX in gun free zone.  Does anyone else see a potiential robbery coming???
    Ray

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »
Remember that whacko in Colorado a couple years ago who shot up a big church but was stopped by a lady who was carrying and who was part of their security plan? I think he killed some folks before he got his. Lots of people and there can be lots of emotions, strong personalities, seems like it would be a good idea to carry if legal.  Don't know what the rule is here in Alaska. Our ccw rules are pretty liberal but I have trouble remembering the "don'ts" - bars, court houses, any place posted no guns.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline shot1

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:32:41 AM »
Carry well concealed and keep you mouth shut. Most of the time unless you shoot your mouth off about carrying a gun people will never know you do. I have carried a gun everyday for many years almost every place I go and NOBODY has ever known about it. This happened in church a few weeks ago. I have had to start using reading glasses. I found a belt holster for a cell phone that my glasses case just fits in. I wear it on my belt. One of the elders in the church came up to me and said, jokingly, what kind of gun are you carrying? I told him it was my glasses. He laughed and said I was just poking fun with you I knew you would not carry a gun in church. Little did he know that I had a Kel-tec 380 in my pocket in a pocket holster that I always carry to church. He did know know that a number of the members carry a gun to church. We have a security plan between,"those in the know" that carry all the time and nobody else knows about it. It is legal to carry in church in TN. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 03:21:41 AM »
In Virginia it is legal to carry in church if you have a good reason to do so . My question has always been who decides if your reason is good enough . I would consider the attacks around the country good reason but others may not. It would seem the easy way would be if all were informed as to the wishes the leaders of the church had . Like businesses a simple sign at the door would inform thoses wishing to enter.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
I was in a little church in Rockport Tx., last year, and was talking to a man about hog hunting on his cattle lot.  A little lady there, in her 80's said I could come to her place.  She said the hogs were so bad that she had to carry a gun from house to car, etc.  Then she proceeded to pull a Colt peacemaker 45 from her purse, that probably dated to the 1890's.  It was her deceased husband's from his dad she said.  She also said she had killed quited a few hogs with it.

I couldn't help but think how embarrasing it would be for a big bad robber if this lady got ahold of him, and he lived.  I don't think he would have a good prison story....... ;D

Offline S.S.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »
Honestly, who would know unless you are flashing it around?
And if you ever did need it, folks just might be thanking
God that you had it. Most churches are private property any how?
Should the gov't be able to tell a congregation what goes on in
their church? Does the gov't meddling in church affairs not
violate the constitution?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline FourBee

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
It's a shame that we should have to consider such action in our churches these days, but criminals have become so embolden that there seems to be nothing they won't attempt to do.   This past summer, someone used their vehicle to ram thru the front double doors of our church plus the wall facing the parking lot.   I certainly considered packing for awhile after that, not knowing what may emerge next, but couldn't bring myself to actually put it into action.   
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 06:34:27 AM »
SS so are bars , places where you eat , retail stores and they tell us there in many cases .

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »
I was in a little church in Rockport Tx., last year, and was talking to a man about hog hunting on his cattle lot.  A little lady there, in her 80's said I could come to her place.  She said the hogs were so bad that she had to carry a gun from house to car, etc.  Then she proceeded to pull a Colt peacemaker 45 from her purse, that probably dated to the 1890's.  It was her deceased husband's from his dad she said.  She also said she had killed quited a few hogs with it.

I couldn't help but think how embarrasing it would be for a big bad robber if this lady got ahold of him, and he lived.  I don't think he would have a good prison story....... ;D

And there's another reason not to mess with little old ladies !!!

;D ;D ;D

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Honestly, who would know unless you are flashing it around?
And if you ever did need it, folks just might be thanking
God that you had it. Most churches are private property any how?
Should the gov't be able to tell a congregation what goes on in
their church? Does the gov't meddling in church affairs not
violate the constitution?

While I agree with your sentiments, in Ga. it is illegal to carry in a public gathering, i.e. church, parade, political rally, etc.  So thats one of those occasions when you keep it discreet and keep your mouth shut.

Personally, if something bad were to happen, I would take a misdemeanor charge of illegal carry against something potentially worse......

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
My brother, a full time LEO has organized the security during the services at church.  They (heand his fellow deputies) watch the service on CCTV, and are ready to respond from the next room with sophisticated armed force.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »
We should be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves. So as a Pastor, I would think it wise to task a couple men to walk the grounds during service times. Friendly, polite, willing to point someone in the right direction, but wary. I think a secret service model is better than a swat team model in that regard. I also would have every man in the church in the rotation ... like the swiss national guard.
held fast

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
We should be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves. So as a Pastor, I would think it wise to task a couple men to walk the grounds during service times. Friendly, polite, willing to point someone in the right direction, but wary. I think a secret service model is better than a swat team model in that regard. I also would have every man in the church in the rotation ... like the swiss national guard.

How sad that our society has come to this!
But I will no longer go places where I can not be armed.

:'( :'( :'(

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
It would seem in most of history humans lived as TeamNelson advised . In the new world we got away with being lazy about out security until now . Guess we can say back to living like most humans have well at least the ones who survived for a while !

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
So thats one of those occasions when you keep it discreet and keep your mouth shut.

Realistically, when was the last time any of us was detained or searched?
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Mxpe78a

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 12:14:55 PM »
You can carry in churches in TN. I carry and so do MANY in my church. We have an instructor in the church and about 1/3 of the congregation that did not already have their carry permit took the class about a year ago and now have theirs. A number of the members are in on a plan of action if something was to go down.
You never know what will happen or where it will happen these days. No doubt the shooting in Richmond VA was probably gang or drug related or both.

Actually It happened in Richmond, California. Richmond, California is much worst than Richmond, Virginia. I have lived In both places CC in California will most likely never happen.

Offline federali

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 02:50:17 AM »
We suffered a random killing at a Roman Catholic church in Lynbrook NY. With "God" telling some people to shoot-up churches and those of the Jewish faith having to fear middle eastern extremists and anti-semites (who come in many flavors), I would not attend any house of worship that prohibits me from carrying. I may be ugly but I'm not suicidal.