Author Topic: Recent red stag hunt  (Read 1149 times)

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Recent red stag hunt
« on: February 15, 2010, 04:10:24 AM »

Last weekend I hunted red stag in southern Ohio.  It's steep country and heavily wooded.  Ranch size is approx 300 acres.

Saturday I hunted from a ground blind for many hours but did not observe the herd of red deer. Sunday morning I was assigned a different location in the forest.  At about 9:30 AM the herd crossed a ravine approx 300 yards away and bedded down in direct sunlight on a steeply sloped hillside.  Did I mention it was very c-c-cold?  After an hour, it was obvious the red deer were not moving so I stalked as quietly and slowly as I could.  But when about 150 yards away, I was spotted and the animals spooked and trotted over the ridge.  

My guide and I discussed options.  We split up.  I posted behind a colossal hickory tree while he circled around to spook the herd toward my position.  I heard them approaching through the forest and the tension was exquisite!! My stag led the herd at a fast run at approx 85 yards.  I swung the carbine and just as the crosshairs were even with his mahogany mane I squeezed the trigger.  But the stag showed no sign of being hit.  The action was quickly levered and another shot was fired.  This slowed the animal considerably and turned directly toward me as I levered the Winchester and fired again. The great stag stumbled and toppled over.

During skinning we observed where the shots had struck.  First two impacted behind the shoulder and struck within 2 inches of each other.  These bullets completely destroyed the chest organs and broke through ribs to vanish into the snow. The third shot struck center of chest and penetrated the length of the body and we found it in the hip area. This bullet appears very much like a magazine ad photo. My guide took most of these photos.  What a memory.

Hunting exotic animals (non-native to North America) is not for every hunter.  But I had a ball and brought home much meat, a fine trophy, and a great memory!

Red deer are European cousins to North American elk.  Males are called stags and females are known as hinds.  This stag had approximate live weight of 375 lbs.  But a 5 year old red stag taken in Bulgaria was weighed at 525 lbs.
TR

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Recent red stag hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:22:38 AM »
Nice animal!! Glad you had a good time!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »
Very nice animal and good for you!!!!  Great eating venison!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline ttank0789

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »
What ranch were you at in sounthern Ohio? I hunted hogs at Shawnee Ridge Hunting Preserve in Southern Ohio and I couldn't have been more pleased with the how everything went.  

Congrats on some good shots and a nice trophy!!
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:17:20 AM »

This ranch is large, very steep, and heavily wooded.   The red deer and fallow deer I observed were extremely wild (spooky). That's the challenge I was seeking and I'll recommend this hunting place to anyone.  No one is paying me or providing favors to endorse Double D Ranch.

Truthfully, the hunt could have ended sooner if I'd been shooting my .308 but the challenge of getting close is what makes my blood tingle.  I'll be back in May to hunt boar with my crossbow.

Good hunting to you.

TR

Offline markc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »
Very nice, great story, great pics.  What caliber was that Whinny?
markc

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »
Nice deer.  Danny has a nice place.  Shot a boar there a few years ago.  #1 with a rifle in SCI.  Prices are decent too.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »
A red stag in high on my must have list!!

GOOD SHOW!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.