Author Topic: Guinea fowl  (Read 807 times)

Offline huntfamily5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The pursuit of happiness is your responsibility
Guinea fowl
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »
I was looking at some African hunting sites and noticed that some folks hunt guinea fowl.  These look like beautiful birds and likely taste very good.  Has anyone done this before?  Has anyone done this state side, if so where?  Thanks.

Travis
http://www.hunthavensranch.com

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
Re: Guinea fowl
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »
 :) Howdy! Guinea fowl in Africa is a wild gamebird. However, here in the United States they are a common barnyard fowl. I have not eaten one, but I hear that they taste a lot like pheasant. In some areas of Texas, guineas are about as common as chickens. They eat lots of insects and small snakes as well. They seem to be drawn to a road or highway and some are runover by cars and trucks.  Hope this helps!  Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline markc

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
I have never eaten one myself, but there are a lot of farms around here that have guinea hens running around.  If they are the same bird.
markc

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  They look like a really neat birds.  Reminds me of a turkey sized bird.  Plus they roost in the trees at night.  Additionally, I like their tick eating appetite and tendancy to raise an alarm if strangers are seen.

I am going to establish a wild folck on my racnh this spring.  They may do well.  Wonder how they will get along with the wild turkey.     

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:15:59 PM »
One of our neighbors had a small flock years ago. They also had three turkeys two hens and a gobbler. They all ran loose and seemed to hang around together at times. They all spent more time on my land then his. One of his hen turkeys had her poults in our rose garden and when we told them it seemed to make them mad tho we really didn't care about it. They got rid of the hen after that. The gobbler ran off with three wild turkey hens that came thru one day.

The guineas all got killed one way or another. They were a bit of a nuisance eating all the food we had out for the quail.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
we used to raise a few of them, they are pretty good eating, really lean and dark meat.easy to dry out if not cooked correctly.they will survive pretty well on their own. the only prob is predators will just kill them off.they nest in communal nests on the ground and coons will get them while they are setting. owls git them too when they roost at night in the trees.you might get a flock established if you keep the predator population down.

Offline huntfamily5

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:44:54 AM »
thank you for your reply