Author Topic: Looking for some scope help?  (Read 899 times)

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Looking for some scope help?
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
I haven't bough a new rifle scope for quite sometime as my two current rifles have Burris straight 4x's with post reticules that were new about 20 years ago. They have served my well and will stay where they are until I pass them on.

Now I am looking for something light and tough for my newest rifle a Ruger MK II chambered in 350 Remington magnum. I would really love to keep it simple with another straight 4x and post reticule if anyone makes them but definitely am looking for some generous eye relief and toughness. I would certainly appreciate any advice on a new or used scope that would fit the bill.

Thanks

Offline Old Grizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Looking for some scope help?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
Ahh post redical!!! I wish someone still made them. I had an old Weaver I think it was a 4x with a post and loved it. I have gone with Leupold scopes with my favorite being heavy duplex crosshairs.
Marlin 1895G Rules
45-70
Member Team Hornady
Life Member NRA
Member NAHC

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:11:07 PM »
You can order a Leupold 4x with the #1 reticle from their custom shop.

http://www.nvt.com.au/Rifle-scopes/Leupold-Rifle-Scopes/Leupold-Rifle-Scope-Reticles/
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:04:40 AM »
Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x24mm, lit post reticle.  They also have a 3-9x40mm as well.  You can thank me later, but your wallet wont.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »
You can order a Leupold 4x with the #1 reticle from their custom shop.

http://www.nvt.com.au/Rifle-scopes/Leupold-Rifle-Scopes/Leupold-Rifle-Scope-Reticles/

Yup, Leupold has a couple options that are close to the old Weaver/redfield post that some of us grew up with!!  Its still one of my favorites for close to med range hunting in timber!!!

A fixed 4x will fit you fine. In the past ten years I have switched to the 2x7 scope as my favorite. Covers the whole range of what I need in a scope.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:12:38 AM »
i too would recomend the accupoint. I cant think of a better woods scope then one of them. But the price is high and if your looking for cheaper id buy a varix 1 leupold 2x7 with the heavy duplex. Ive got one on my beowulf and it works well on that gun. Its on the smaller side and like all leupolds has a very generous eye relief.
blue lives matter

Offline Retsof

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
Sorry for the late reply but I just noticed this topic. I have the same rifle as you (a Ruger MK II in 350 Rem Mag). You have received some excellent advice from the other posters. I'll tell you what I've tried on my rifle but be forewarned that trying to tell someone what scope to put on his rifle is akin to telling him what type of woman he should marry. Only you can make that decision. Ok, with the disclaimer out of the way, I've tried an IOR 4X with the 7A reticle and a Leupold 6X FX III (not the new FX3) with the Heavy Duplex reticle. I am currently using the 6X Leupold. It has great eye relief, works well enough for hunting during legal hours (at least where I hunt) and I can instantly obtain a good sight picture (which helps tremendously with the somewhat limited FOV). With this scope I've had no problem taking successful fast shots at deer, which travel through a narrow shooting lane. Regarding toughness, I accidentially dropped an unloaded rifle with the Leupold 6X out of a 15' stand. The scope was dinged but it still held near its zero and it works fine to this day. So, for me, this scope works well. I did try a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 X 42 on this rifle but I just didn't like it. I had gotten used to the Heavy Duplex reticle and the lighter weight of the 6X.

One other thought: Since you are used to fixed power scopes (particularly 4X), it may be a good idea to stick with 4X. Though the choices are limited, they are still available. Leupold, IOR and Zeiss come immediately to mind, though I am sure there are others. I believe Zeiss no longer makes the 4X Conquest (I'm not sure of this). As someone else has stated, you can have a custom reticle installed in the Leupold and both the IOR 7A reticle and the Zeiss Z-Plex reticle work good in low light, though I've only heard this from others about the Zeiss, since I've not yet looked through one.

Good luck in your choice. Have fun with your 350 Mag. I have.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »
My first rifle was topped with a Weaver 4X with a post, about 40 years ago.  In those days I was reluctant to go to a scope, and thought this choice would offer some advantage on close or running shots (all that I had ever had with a shotgun).  Can't say that I ever missed the post.  In fact, it was not easy to sight it in because it covered a lot of the target.  I think the duplex offers a far better choice.  They have served me well for 40 years.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
My first rifle was topped with a Weaver 4X with a post, about 40 years ago.  In those days I was reluctant to go to a scope, and thought this choice would offer some advantage on close or running shots (all that I had ever had with a shotgun).  Can't say that I ever missed the post.  In fact, it was not easy to sight it in because it covered a lot of the target.  I think the duplex offers a far better choice.  They have served me well for 40 years.

I still have the 4x Weaver from long ago...  I got past the post, and much prefer the duplex too.  There's NO way i'd go back...

To the origional poster:

I use to hunt with a Ruger 350RM, and if i was to go back to one, i'd put a small variable scope on it, that had a bigger than 1" objective end on it.  The reason is, i'd want a scope that let in more light, for woods and low light hunting situations.  As you get older, you will be glad you did!

DM