Author Topic: Grand Old Fort  (Read 750 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Grand Old Fort
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »
Fort Ticonderoga, Ticonderoga, New York, as seen from Mount Defiance.

Fort Ticonderoga as seen from Lake Champlain.

Artillery on display at Fort Ticonderoga.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Grand Old Fort
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:39 AM »
Every time I say there isn't anything east of the Mississippi worth seeing...somebody posts something like this.

Thanks, John you just added to my "places to see before I can die list"

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:26:39 AM »
Wow!!!! Thank you for the pictures, BoomJ. It's almost like being there.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:54:08 AM »
Great pictures! Makes me want go there again. Who would have thought up-state Ny would be so nice thime of year? ;D

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »
Great pictures, thanks for posting them.
Like other have said this will be added to my list of things I want to see.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Grand Old Fart- any relation?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »
 :) What a blast from the past! I was stationed on the U.S.S.Ticonderoga, CVA 14, in '69 & '70. Did a few runs off Viet Nam, over there for about 7 1/2 months. The "Tico" had 5 inch guns, and when they fired, :o , the concussion would almost take your feet out from under you! Well, not quite, but close! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
I should have included something about the fort's history when I opened the thread, but didn't have the time. This text is from a website called: FORT TICONDEROGA AND THE KING'S GARDEN.

Fort Ticonderoga History: 18th Century
Fort Ticonderoga, originally Fort Carillon, was built by the French military between 1755 and 1759. One of a series the French built to control Lake Champlain. The site looks over Lake Champlain at a point where it narrows and the shore of Vermont is a mere cannon shot away. It is at this point, too, that the waters from Lake George enter Lake Champlain via the La Chute River. Control of this strategic narrows meant control of the north-south water "highway".

On July 8, 1758 the Fort was successfully defended by a French army of 3500 soldiers under the command of Louis-Joseph le Marquis de Montcalm despite being severely outnumber by an attacking British army of 16,000 troops under the command of General James Abercromby. This was France's greatest victory in the Seven Years' War.

The following year however, the British under the command of General Jeffery Amherst defeated the French at Fort Carillon. The French troops evacuated the Fort but not before blowing up the powder magazine and warehouse as they went. After several years of archeological site-work the magasin du Roi has finally been rebuilt. The reincarnation as the Deborah Clarke Mars Education Center is historically accurate on the exterior and houses modern museum, education and meeting spaces.

American Revolution
At the outset of the American Revolution a small company of British soldiers still manned the Fort. On May 10, 1775, Ethan Allen, Benedict Arnold, and the Green Mountain Boys crossed Lake Champlain from Vermont and at dawn surprised and captured the sleeping garrison. This was the first American victory of the Revolutionary War. From then until July 1777, Fort Ticonderoga served as an important staging area for the American Army while invading Canada and holding the territory against the British forces.

In 1776 new fortifications were built across Lake Champlain on Mount Independence. During the summer of 1776 a fleet of small warships or gondolas where rigged and fitted out at Mount Independence. This fleet under the command of Benedict Arnold fought the Battle of Valcour Island on Lake Champlain in 1776. In July 1777 the British General Burgoyne managed to place cannon on Mount Defiance and forced the Fort's garrison under General Arthur St. Clair to evacuate on July 6th. In September 1777 a small American force conducted the final raid on the Fort attempting to retake it from the British. The British finally abandoned the Fort in early November following the surrender of the British army at Saratoga.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:20:42 AM »
:) What a blast from the past! I was stationed on the U.S.S.Ticonderoga, CVA 14, in '69 & '70. Did a few runs off Viet Nam, over there for about 7 1/2 months. The "Tico" had 5 inch guns, and when they fired, :o , the concussion would almost take your feet out from under you! Well, not quite, but close! BoomLover

Boomlover,
When I was looking for info on the fort I came across some sites related to the carrier, and it certainly had a long and interesting history. This pic of the USS Ticonderoga shows the CVA 14 incarnation of the ship refueling off the Vietnam coast in 66. I'm no tar, but that fuel ship sure seems to be riding dangerously low in the water.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »

When we last visited Fort Ticonderoga in 2007, Mike and I went through the Village of Whitehall, New York, at the extreme southern end of Lake Champlain, where we studied a 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle on a cliff and a little museum in town which featured a batteau armed with a pivot gun.  We also spotted an orange and blue historical marker in our travels through Whitehall.  It seems the first US Navy ship to be named 'Ticonderoga' ended up here years and years after participating in the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814.  For those interested in this ferocious battle, which turned the tide against the British naval and land forces in the War Of 1812, you can go to the Historic Lakes.org site:   http://www.historiclakes.org/Plattsburg/plattsburgh_battle5.htm        

Although it's not much more than a pile of hull timbers today, this first ship Ticonderoga's company fought hard on September 11, 1814 and actually helped end the War of 1812 by defeating British naval forces, ending the Battle of Plattsburgh and the southern progression of the combined British and Canadian Armies.  They headed back to Canada that very night.

Mike and Tracy

Whitehall, NY at the southern end of Lake Champlain.

What Mike and I saw in 2007.  The remains of the well-fought ship, Ticonderoga.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
Boom J, served on the USS Franklin D Roosevelt CVA 42 and made a westpac cruise. And stood more than a few watches when alonside supply ships, tankers and ammo ships. Was along side a ammo ship in the hangar bay when the ship along side lost steering. Things did get a little exciting with all sorts of bombs on the deck. Granted they were not fused, but 250, 500 pounders were rolling on the deck. And supply ships were close enough to throw potatoes at. Frank

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
My first visit to Ft.Ti. was at the ripe old age of seven I still have the iron mounted brass barreled cannon

I got that day (got it shooting at age 11... that's another story..), 

the last time I was there was 1985 it was interesting to see that nothing had really changed.

at seven I already had an interest in military history places like this cemented it, I was probably to more

forts than most kids saw but I had parents who encouraged my interests.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium