Author Topic: .45LC , BC range report  (Read 753 times)

Offline cougarmagnum

• Trade Count: (0)
.45LC , BC range report
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:23:23 AM »
Just came back from trying loads in my .45lc BC. Got 2, 5 shot groups with 255gr cast and 18grs. 2400, and 300gr. cast with 19.5 of IMR4227, both loads printed into 2"at 50 yds. with factory sights. Also, shot a group that clover leafed using 35grs. 2ff black and a 255gr. cast. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement, especially since I solved a vertical stringing issue!

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Re: .45LC , BC range report
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:55 AM »
Congrats. I know you are happy. What purpose are you using the BC towards? Hunting or plinking? Give a few details please. It's kinda slow around work today so I am drooling on getting out of here early!!!! Give me something to read about til then.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »
Nice shootin'!
Any idea of the velocity of those 255 grainers over the 18.0gr of 2400? 
Just curious because that's a load close to what I use.

Offline cougarmagnum

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
Don't know for sure on the velocity. I plan on shooting over the crony, if and when the weather breaks! The weather here in Pennslytucky is cold, windy, and misearable! I'm thinking 1600-1800fps. but don't know for sure. I plan on upping the charge in incriments, to about 21 grs. Anybody out there have experience on heavy .45 loads? I also have a .44mag. Marlin carbine that I load with 22 grs. of same powder under a 240 grainer.

Offline cougarmagnum

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:06 AM »
In response to Daman, I plan on using it for whitetails and just screwing around! I love big bores in either rifles or handguns! I have extensive experience in .44mags., had them in rifles, revolvers and a contender. My all time favorite big bore was a 45-70 in a 12"contender, a real 150yd. sledge hammer! I traded it in a moment of stupidity, regret that move! I am looking forward to shooting a lot of the black powder loads out of it, because I'm a black powder fanatic! I'm extremely pleased with the group I got out of carbine with"holy black"!

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »
Don't know for sure on the velocity. I plan on shooting over the crony, if and when the weather breaks! The weather here in Pennslytucky is cold, windy, and misearable! I'm thinking 1600-1800fps. but don't know for sure. I plan on upping the charge in incriments, to about 21 grs. Anybody out there have experience on heavy .45 loads? I also have a .44mag. Marlin carbine that I load with 22 grs. of same powder under a 240 grainer.

I've shot the 255's from my Blackhawk and my H&R CR-45 ranging from 17.0 to 22.0 grains of 2400.  Don't know the velocities but the most accurate in both are about 18.0 to 19.5.  Loads over 19.5 were getting scattered in both.  I also shoot a lot of HS-6 in my 45 Colts.  Literature velocities are around 1100 to 1150 fps out of the Blackhawk.  I'd say that load is probably doing about 1600 fps in the carbine. 

Here are some good articles to read for hot 45 Colt loads.  The Linebaugh article relates mostly to the single action pistol but you can cross reference some of his data to the Paco Kelly article to get a rough idea of the loads in a carbine.  Both are good articles to read of you're a 45 Colt shooter/loader.

Links:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:53:23 AM »
In response to Daman, I plan on using it for whitetails and just screwing around! I love big bores in either rifles or handguns! I have extensive experience in .44mags., had them in rifles, revolvers and a contender. My all time favorite big bore was a 45-70 in a 12"contender, a real 150yd. sledge hammer! I traded it in a moment of stupidity, regret that move! I am looking forward to shooting a lot of the black powder loads out of it, because I'm a black powder fanatic! I'm extremely pleased with the group I got out of carbine with"holy black"!

I agree, the big bore pistols and carbines are a ton of fun.  I too have a 12 inch 45-70 Contender.  Tons of fun with TONS of power!!...not to mention TONS of recoil!   ;D
If you like your 44's in your handguns, you'll LOVE experimenting with higher level loads in your 45 Colt.  Although there is a limit, there seems to be a lot more in options when loading the 45 Colt as opposed to the 44.  I'd recommend getting yourself a nice Blackhawk or Ruger Bisely in 45 Colt to go with your 45 Colt carbine.

Offline cougarmagnum

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:32 AM »
Thanks for the info, Blackhawker, good food for thought!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »
sounds like mine its shooting well with both 225 gr and 255 gr both over top trail boss got some 300gr  on order

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
Cougar, thanks for that report. I've found that 18 grains of 2400 is made for the 45LC.  That's my deer load under a 300 grain bullet hard cast out of a Blackhawk.  Works everytime.  I'm sure it's even more potent out of a BC.  Your report has revived my confidence in good ol' 2400.