Author Topic: Are you good enough!!  (Read 913 times)

Offline Doe

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Are you good enough!!
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:55:41 AM »
will be picking up a revolver soon and hopeing to be able to pick off a squrril head, at least 25 yards is it possible, have any of you guys were able to regularly do it with your cap gun?? Or am i really streching it a bit!! I would love the challange!  ;D.

Offline El Gringo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are you good enough!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
Well,  I dont know if Wild Bill himself could do all that, but hunting tree cats with a BP revolver does sound fun. ;D

Offline FourBee

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
hopeing to be able to pick off a squrril head, at least 25 yards is it possible

These BP revolvers are plenty powerful.  Not too familiar with the .36 calibers, but have plenty experinece with the .44's.   Sights are set for approx. 75 yards and basketball size rocks at 75 yards aren't hard to hit.    But that makes the .44's shoot high at close range.  A squirrel's head at 25 yards?   If you're that good with a regular handgun I don't know why you couldn't pull it off with a BP revolver.   ;D

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
I've taken squirrels with a modern 38, but not quite head shots, tried but usually got shoulder, still had back and hind legs to eat.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »
To do it consistently, requires a well tuned accurate revolver.  A single barrel with set trigger would be more likely to do it reliably.  The old story, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then applies.  yes a cap and ball revolver can do it once in a while, how frequently certainly depends on the gun and the shooter.  I can do it with a few of my side lock pistols.  It would be a much more difficult task with a spinner. 

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:43 AM »
My 1851 Navy .36 will hold 5 shots in 1 1/2" at 25 yards from a rest and my 1860 Army .44 goes about 2" at 25 yards. Both of those guns have been tuned and have had their front sights replaced with taller sights to zero at 25 yards and optimum accuracy loads were developed years ago. So I'd say yes, the guns themselves are capable of squirrel head accuracy at 15-20 yards. But take away the bench rest and my shaky hands become the limiting factor. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Thats a tough shot. Conditions in the field rarely allow extreme accuracy. You have to learn any fixed sights by shooting it a lot. I have too many I shoot and haven't learned a gun that well since I was young and poor.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
will be picking up a revolver soon and hopeing to be able to pick off a squrril head, at least 25 yards is it possible, have any of you guys were able to regularly do it with your cap gun?? Or am i really streching it a bit!! I would love the challange!  ;D.

Just make sure your revolver is a Ruger Old Army w/adjustable sights. You should be able to pick off other body parts also.. Even on less endowed squirrels.  ;)