Author Topic: carriage material  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: carriage material
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 04:30:38 AM »
DD,
I hope he does try it, because it would be interesting to find out how far the ball would travel before it hit the dirt. ;D 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »
DD,
I hope he does try it, because it would be interesting to find out how far the ball would travel before it hit the dirt. ;D 

Well part of this will be determined by how far off the ground the barrel is.  The real problem will be keeping the ball in the barrel.  It will reguire a slight positive elevation.  The powder will also have to be loaded in a cartridge for this shot.

Offline xo18thfa

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »
I know it's probably not authentic, but I would go with cherry.  Cherry darkens quickly, so you get a natural aged look in a short period of time.  Quarter sawn white oak is second choice.

xo18thfa,  We like cherry too and walnut and mahogany, they are so easy to work and look very nice too, but our favorite is still white oak.  Below are a few snap shots from the pile of wood that will go into one of the three Brooke rifles we are currently making for customers around the country.  One customer wanted fancy wood, so we indicated that was possible as long as it was white oak. He's getting the nicest quarter sawn white oak that we have worked in a long, long time.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Yes, that is the stuff.  A face grain like that is worth a million bucks.  There is a lot of planning and deciding needed to make sure the best pattern goes in the most visible place.
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hitting the target is a matter of training, hitting the impact area is a matter of safety.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 08:02:11 AM »
DD,

Well part of this will be determined by how far off the ground the barrel is.  The real problem will be keeping the ball in the barrel.  It will reguire a slight positive elevation.  The powder will also have to be loaded in a cartridge for this shot.

Won't you also have to plan for a different type of recoil?  Instead of recoiling down (which the sled is made for) it will recoil back.  Is the sled heavy enough to absorb the recoil?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
Good point Zulu!

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:54 AM »
Is the sled heavy enough to absorb the recoil?
Zulu

I think a 150 lb tractror wheel weight will do the trick ..... 

Mean while, back in the shop the mad scientist  is woking on a small portable  one size fits all test bed.
His only problem is the " 600 lb Gorilla " needed to move it  ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Got it done
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
sort of . After carefull anaylis of BB weight and recoil I decided on a base mount a 200 lb Gorilla could move  . 8)
BB Gopher thinks it may work all to well .  :o 

BB Mortar is feeling the pinch . :-\
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:09 AM »
1Southpaw; here is one of my subtle clues pointing out something that isn't quite right about the direction this thread has taken. :D

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.