Author Topic: new to handguns  (Read 920 times)

Offline swamphunter

• Trade Count: (0)
new to handguns
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:49 AM »
First off I will apologize, as this topic has probably been flogged to death.  Let me say that I really respect the wealth of firearm knowledge of those that use this site.
I am 45, have hunted and owned long guns (I'm from Canada) for over thirty years, and am interested in trying handgun shooting sports.  I already have my "restricted" permit.  I have always admired revolvers, and particularly like the look of the full underlug models, and have handled a 6" 686 at a local shop. (does the full underlug make for a steadier aim/less recoil) That being said, I also like the look and history of the great John Browning 1911, and some of the newer polymer "duty" type pistols.  Please share information and opinions on which designs and manufacturers would be best for the shooting sports I am likely to be engaged in at a range.  I know a little about IPSC, have heard of IDPA and Cowboy Action shooting.  Are there other shooting sports for hand guns in Canada?  What type of pistol would be best for each?  I realize that I have asked a lot of questions, and really appreciate any facts/opinions that you would be willing to share.
Thanks again,
swamp

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: new to handguns
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:59:56 AM »
I can't answer a lot as mine is strickly of the hunting variety.  But, what are you interested in?  Hunting, shooting, plinking, self protection?  I use a .22 semiauto to hunt with (squirrels mostly) and a .44 mag revolver for larger game and self protection in the woods with a combination of shot shells and regular shells.  I have a 1911 45acp for self protection at home or to carry.  I also have a .357 2" snub nose that I sometimes use instead of the .45.  I would like to get into cowboy action shooting, but don't have the time right now.  Others will chime in with their take. 

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:18 AM »
May I suggest you first contact a local NRA range to find out what games are going on in your area. My second suggestion would be to get a .22 in either revolver or auto to get a feel for the differences. Shooting enough centerfire ammo to get "good" is expensive, enough so that the price of the gun is nearly irrelevant.

I think most folks will go out and get the big gun first then eventually get a .22, these are the folks that will tell you to get the .22 first. I'm one of them, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the .40S&W SIG but wasn't worth a crap with it till I spent a summer with a .22 learning technique.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:49:52 AM »
most of your shooting  ''games'' are  for  the auto

a revolver is best for  most real life situations

start with a 22
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:54:49 AM »
Games! I think you are limited to games in Canada---no hunting as i have read and no carry as I have read. Correct the post if I am wrong.
You are fortunate to be able to get Norinco's in Canada. These are an economial source of 1911's though for games you might find that they may require a reliability work-up by a Smith.
I would suspect that there are others available. Same thing may be rquired by any.
Revolvers are not my forte, I will let others handle these.
The advice to check and see what games are available is a good one.
1911's or semi-autos are fun to shoot and I prefer them to revolvers--but I have owned many in the past and they are fun also.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline gray-wolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 06:10:25 AM »
(does the full underlug make for a steadier aim/less recoil) That being said, I also like the look and history of the great John Browning 1911, and some of the newer polymer "duty" type pistols.  Please share information and opinions on which designs and manufacturers would be best for the shooting sports I am likely to be engaged in at a range.  I know a little about IPSC, have heard of IDPA and Cowboy Action shooting.  Are there other shooting sports for hand guns in Canada?  What type of pistol would be best for each?  I realize that I have asked

The 686 is a nice revolver. The full length shroud under the barrel adds weight to the pistol.
This should help with the steadiness while shooting, and it will help a little with recoil. It will also depend on barrel length.  The full length shroud was originally done to protect the ejector rod from being bent if the pistol was hit or took a blow from under the barrel.  As time has gone on they have become more cosmetic but still function as protection for the ejector.

I have shot competition that allowed both revolver and semi auto pistols. The revolvers were out gunned by the auto's. 
  A true 1911 platform is not the same as a polymer handgun, but they both have there place in the gun world.  I think your choice there would depend on what you wanted the pistol to do for you.
  If you like both then by all means get one of each.

GW.

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
I would also recommend starting with a .22, revolver or simi-auto thats a matter of preference I love both. Shoot it for a while, by then you will see other hand-guns in action and probably will get a chance to shoot a few. If you plan to hunt with a hand gun then look at the revolvers.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:21 PM »
Can not beat a 22LR.
Lots of practice ammo.
The only way to get good and stay good with a handgun is to shoot it.  and often.
the 22 will let you do that you can buy 500 rounds of 22 for the price of 50 rounds of 38, 9, 40, or 45.
that is 10X the shooting.  Oh and the guns cost a little less too.
After you get good with the 22 move up as you have the fundamentals down and do not need to spend thousands of dollars to shoot a center fire.
I like the browning buck marks, but the Rugers are also great.  I also would not say no to an old High Standard.  What i learned to shoot with at Military school but was given a buck mark in 85 for christmas and have been shooting it since.  Last count was almost 60,000 rounds through the gun.  But as I obtained two other bucks it is hard to keep track between the three how many rounds.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:37:01 PM »
I have owned a lot of hand guns of all sorts over the years and have participated in some competitive shooting sports. For most pistol sports a semi auto rules the roost these days.  However, there are revolver events as well as Silhouette shoots which are dominated by single shots and revolvers.  Cowboy Action matches require single action revolvers to shoot them.  So you need to find out what is available in your area before you procure weapons for it.  I also think that a good 22 pistol or revolver is a good thing to start with.  Ammo is cheaper and this equates to more shooting.  I have both a revolver and a semi auto in 22 LR and they both get used a lot.

Offline swamphunter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:08:05 AM »
Thank you all for your help.  I am going to go to a local range, hopefully soon; the handgun contact person is away on holidays.  A local dealer showed me a used Sig P226 which I really liked.  Price is $729. He also has a used 586 with a 6" barrel, but has not cleaned it up yet, so I can't see it until next week. Any ideas on what the Canadian value of this should be?  The used S&W 686's (6" barrel) seem to run between $600-$700.  I plan on reloading for whatever I purchase, which should reduce ammo costs.  I have some friends with handguns; all are semi auto. 1 Glock 17, 1 Ruger P85 and 1 Springfield XD.  I have always liked the look of revolvers, and I believe a six inch barrel revolver would be more accurate. Another plus would be not having to pick up brass for reloading. Not sure what to buy!
I know I'm all over the board on this one. 
Thanks for your help,
Keep the advice comin!
Swamp

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:37:06 AM »
When i was in College I had a 22 and most of my friends had wonder 9mm'S (Beretta, Browning, and a Glock)  We would go to the range and some how everyone would end up shooting my Browning 22 wehn they ran out of ammo.
I later bought a M29 44 mag 6" and shot specials through it for practice and play but later ended up buying a Sig P226 and have had one since.  Really like my Sigs (own 5) Had a Police officer in VA try to trade me for his duty Beretta during a trafic stop.  Two of my friends ended up trading in a Beretta and the Glock for Sigs. 
Good luck on what ever you buy.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
IMHO, one will never regret buying/owning a S&W 686. They are the standard from which all other modern day .357s are judged. My 6'' 686 is one of my favorite range guns because of it's accuracy and how pleasant and how much fun  it is to shoot. It's also relatively inexpensive and easy to reload for. Sure a .22LR auto may be cheaper to shoot, and everyone should have one, but it doesn't hold a candle to the smile and the fun factor that comes from pullin' the trigger on a true magnum round.

Another plus would be not having to pick up brass for reloading.

LOL.....I always take a drop cloth/tarp to catch my brass from my 1911s. From my revolvers, I just pull out the empties and put them back in the box before pulling out another cylinder full.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"