Author Topic: Moving to Washington.. Hope my luck is changing.  (Read 1678 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Moving to Washington.. Hope my luck is changing.
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »
I'm moving to Pomeroy, WA in March. Anybody know any good things about this area please share them with me. Any good hunting, fishing or shooting places? Could use any help understanding the WA hunting rules/regs. Thanks in advance.
Fanner50 aka Gary

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Moving to Washington.. Hope my luck is changing.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
Get ready to be taxed out of your socks to pay for everything on the soggy side of the state where I live.

Go long distance varmint hunting, and fishing in your corner of the state.

You can jump across the river into OR and still get holy black.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
Congrats on your move Gary. I wish you well and hope things get better for you. Kurt

PS pardon my ignorance but what is "holy black" ?
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline clearwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
I'm moving to Pomeroy, WA in March. Anybody know any good things about this area please share them with me. Any good hunting, fishing or shooting places? Could use any help understanding the WA hunting rules/regs. Thanks in advance.
Fanner50 aka Gary

Just moved to WA last fall. No state income tax. Shall issue state for Concealed carry. Only 90 days for residency for
in state hunting and fishing licenses. You have to choose either archery or rifle or muzzle loader for each
big game license. Standard big game is over the counter even during the season.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:31 PM »
Welcome to the dry side from chattaroy
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »
I think you will like it, no Washington income tax, Oregon has no sales tax, so you go to Oregon to buy and earn your money in WA.  What in the world will you be doing in Pomeroy?  I think most people only move there because they lost a bet or are in the Witness Protection Program.   ;) Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »
Holy Black is real black powder, not that silly fake stuff they sell the flatlanders

No income tax YET

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 11:59:38 AM »
I will be living and working for the KOA campground there. It was "The last resort RV" and is now the "Blue mountain KOA". Looking forward to getting back to the NW. Been in Texas and New Mexico for awhile. It was not for me.Too many no trespassing signs. Had some tuff times with health and now ex-wife. Hope things will turn around now.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
Hey Gary, congrats on the move!!  I spent several days there on a spring turkey hunt about 5yrs ago, twas the coldest turkey hunt I've ever been on, we had snow on the ground for half the time we were there, but got no turkeys, had one come in, but I got rushed and chose a poor place to sit, he busted me about the time I could see him!!! :o :-\  Looks like a nice area, lots of big game hunting in the area, I live about 300 miles west of their tho.

Tim

http://www.thelastresortrv.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »
I will be living and working for the KOA campground there. It was "The last resort RV" and is now the "Blue mountain KOA". Looking forward to getting back to the NW. Been in Texas and New Mexico for awhile. It was not for me. Too many no trespassing signs. Had some tuff times with health and now ex-wife. Hope things will turn around now.

I went thru divorce, bankruptcy, giving my 10ac and 7,000sf fixer-upper back to the bank, move from Michigan to Missouri, then 16mo unemployment since April 2008. It is tough when it happens, and it lingers for a while, but changing your situation completely is a good way to start the rest of your life. It took me a while, but people change, situations change, and there is usually nothing you can do about it. You have to accept/deal with it, then move on, otherwise all that baggage gets real heavy carrying it around. I can think of a million worse jobs that working for a KOA in Washington, I am sure there are some here who envy your job situation. Best of luck.

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »
I agree things can always be worse. I lost my job, my wife of 26 years my house that I built in 2004, and my gun shop. I've had open heart surgery,two bouts with cancer, and am living with a brain tumor. The tumor is in remission. My son is in a drug rehab program and that is better than the alternative. I have a great dog, Gunner my black lab. I've still got a 12 ga shotgun and a H&R that was the outcome of some very special friends here donating the parts I didn't have. I have a pretty nice travel trailer that Gunner and I live in and now a job at an RV Park. Life is good. Now if I could just meet a good looking 50 something(or 60 something) gal that wants to live in a RV and work at RV parks I'd have it made. Anybody knows of one give her my e-mail.LOL Here's to fresh starts and movin forward my friend....my best to all.
Fanner50 aka Gary

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
Best of luck to ya Gary.  You've always got friends here, and with friends yer a wealthy man.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »
Welcome to the dry side. I'm in Moses Lake. Transplanted from Montana. I guess I'll have to look up where Pomeroy is.
Thanks Don.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
Ya know the old saying about lemons & lemonade. Hey, ya just might meet up with young 50 year old that likes Handi rifles as much as all of us!

Best of luck to ya Gary! And welcome from a neighbor to your south, across the mighty Columbia and up the Willamette River a ways.

Bill

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
Gary, Sounds like you got a kiss of life! Think of it as being reborn and a new start. I sure wish I could get the concrete out from under my feet.
Sounds like the hunting and fishing should be good. Good luck and enjoy your new job and relocation. -gary
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline zookiezoom

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:22:33 AM »
I lived in Spokane for four years (Fairchild AFB). Used to fish and camp a lot in Almota below the locks. Best bet for hunting in that area is start knocking on doors. Lots of private land with more deer than you can shake a stick at. Used to see some real nice muleys in the Spokane area.
Life is a food chain; if your not on top, your on the menu.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »

I wish you the best of luck Gary that sounds like a pretty nice set up for you. Will you be in management or maintenance? actually I guess if you're in the first you're automatically in the second, but not the other way around. I've stayed at some KOA's and they were all top rate. They have standards they must live up to if they want to keep the KOA name.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
Gary,
Good luck to you brother. After all you've already made it through I have to think things can only improve for you. A fresh start is something many just dream about so make the best of it and I'm sure good things are on their way for you.
Don

Offline okie john

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »
First of all, welcome to Washington.

Pomeroy is in the middle of nowhere, and that’s the best part of Washington. Most of the population here is between Olympia and Everett along Interstate 5. It's crowded, and we have to leave to hunt. Most westside hunters are knuckleheads, and luckily for you, most of them aren’t willing to drive as far as Pomeroy to hunt. Westsiders also don’t have time to scout, so we go all the most obvious places. The locals know the good spots, so they have better luck than we do. Again, as a local, you’re looking good. Get to know the folks in town, keep your ears open, and you’ll soon know where the good spots are.

As of right now, your 12-gauge is legal for everything here, including deer, bear and elk. The country around Pomeroy is flat and open, so a 270 or 30/06 would be better, but a 12-gauge slug will work. WA regs can be confusing. Every three years, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife reviews them and moves Game Management Unit (GMU) boundaries, changes hunts, and changes the types of firearms you can use in some areas. You’ll be fine once you get used to that cycle, but it’s frustrating at first. That said, the WDFW seems to have become more responsive to hunter concerns over the last decade or so. Regs usually come out in April or May.

You have to be half surveyor and half attorney to understand GMU boundaries, but this book can help: http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/089933329X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/183-3893291-0558607 You can buy it at lots of sporting goods stores here.

Get on out here and spend the summer scouting. Grouse season will be open before you know it, and once you get a deer or an elk in your freezer, you can live off of game.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Okie John

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 05:10:25 AM »
I can't put into words how much the friends I have here mean to me. Thank you all for the kind thoughts and wishes. I truely believe the best people in the world hang out here. I start the journey Tues, 3/2 and have plans to meet F to F with cannon6 and Mrs. cannon6 and others along the way. Will get to visit my son in Butte on his last day in the rehab program. He will move to Missoula to a pre-release program and I will be only 248 miles away when I reach my destination. Life is looking good. You folks have been a support group that is very much appreciated. Your posative afermation and incredible kindness has been a great help to me. I will be using my little Handi .243 in the very near future thanks to the selflessness of the members here. DP is right on..with friends like a guy has here he is a wealthy man. I am blessed to know all of you if only on line.
Best to all,
Fanner50 aka Gary :-*

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 06:12:12 AM »
Gary, It's gonna work out.  It took me fifty years of my life to find Patty.  I had gone thru a divorce ten years earlier, gave her everything.  I left with a shotgun, a .30-30, a .22, fishing tackle and books with 200 bucks in my pocket.  We owed only 3200 on the house and I gave it to her.  I was single for 10 years, married Patty and relocated to Michigan within the year.  That was 20 years ago.  Today we have a lovely old home on 120 beautiful acres free and clear, and have no other debt.  Everything we own is paid for.  So, hang in there, work at it and it will happen.

Best of luck,

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 07:58:43 AM »
Bring lots of money, The Libtards are hiking taxes for the entire state to feed their left agenda in Seattle.

Get registered to vote, and see how worthless your vote is, because one county controls the entire state

Oh yeah new taxes on firearms components are right around the corner too

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
Dances with Geoducks..I'm afraid I don't have now nor will I ever allow time in my life for your negativity. I will defend to my death your right to your opinions, and your right to express them freely, but have better things to do in my life. A posative attitude can change more than anything else in life. I'm living proof. :)

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »
Well when you wake up and see how America was stolen

You will get mad too

Offline Gerry N.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
Gary,

Wa. is a damn good place to live, Pomeroy is wonderful.   You are right in the middle of some of the best damn elk, deer and turkey hunting on the planet and the fishing is world class. 

Even with Queen Christine on the throne in Olympia,  Wa. is still a fairly cheap place to live.  No sales tax on food and Rx's. Living in an RV is pretty close to as tax free as you're likely to find short of a hole in the ground. 

Keep your positive attitude and enjoy yourself.  You're right, life is far too short to live it with a constantly sour outlook.  Some things you'll find you have no control over, just do your best to work your way around 'em.   I've been looking at selling and buying a nice RV to live in.  The Missus is amenable as long as we have internet access.  Workin' on that.  We were thinking about someplace close to Sequim, she's got most of her family in the Puget Sound basin and doesn't want to get too far removed.    I've hunted, fished and camped around Pomeroy and wouldn't mind living there, either.

Gerry N.   (In far away, exotic Mountlake Terrace.)

Offline noyb72

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
I live in Quilcene (not far from Sequim,) and couldn't think of a better place to live than the peninsula. Good luck to you out East, you will be drier than me. Hope things work out this tima around.

Ron

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 07:39:52 AM »
Gerry N....I got to tell ya RVing isn't roughen it. My 30' travel trailer with two slides has 300sq ft of well thought out space. I have two flat screens, sterio, micro wave,A/C,  frig/freezer, all the comforts of home. Almost all RV parks offer free Wifi now and I haul my Dish around with me.A big walk in shower makes it very comfortable. The peeps you meet at a park are great. Don't feel sorry for me because I live in an RV. Tell your wife she will love it and you can visit the kids whenever ya want. Good luck to ya. Maybe I'll see ya in Pomeroy some time.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
Good for you Gary !*!*! Best wishes on your new life from another who's 'seen the elephant'. Its impossible to explain the Rocky Mountains to someone who has never seen them............
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
Gary,

Best of luck on your new journey. My prayers up for you and your son. I arrived in Sandpoint, Id 5 years ago. Love it here, though it is expensive for us. Been through the "left without a dime" routine twice and started from square one three times.

Keep a positive attitude (not easy) and keep those close to you with positive attitudes. That dog of yours will be one of your closest allies!

God will give you the strength to endure and the courage to carry on.

God Bless,
Jeff
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 04:06:22 AM »
My wife, dp, and I had dinner with Gary last  night.  Just want all of you to know  what a great guy he is.
I am sure he will find Pomeroy to his liking.He just called and is westbound out of Billings   ,    Doug
a armed man is his own master