Author Topic: 2010 Golf Ball Cannons For Beginners, Tips & Recommendations?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Asron87

• Trade Count: (0)
2010 Golf Ball Cannons For Beginners, Tips & Recommendations?
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
I am new to the sport of cannoneering and would like to buy a decent Golf Ball Cannon. I plan on starting out by buying the Coehorn Mortar (can size) from the sponsor Blackpowder-cannons.com. I figure it would be perfect for starting out but I would also like to buy a practical but nice looking Golf Ball Cannon for around 400 to 500 dollars.

Any Golf Ball Cannon Recommendations for Beginners?

Edit: I started this thread after reading the "Just curious.... Where is every located". There were a lot of posts from people new to the sport and most of the post about Golf Ball Cannons were a bit out of date. My advice to anyone new is to stick with the sponsors. They know what their doing. Thanks for the warm welcome GBO.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: 2010 Golf Ball Cannons For Beginners, Tips & Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:04:07 AM »
Arson87...welcome to the addiction!!!

Nice to see new folks coming into the forum.

As for golfball mortars there are several sponsors in the stickies that sell beautiful peices.  I have one from brooks-USA.  Irishman makes them in brass and they are wonderful.  I also own one built by Dominick Carpenter that is a lovely mortar.  There is also armorer77 at HMR Cannons.  He specializes in golfball size mortars and cannons.  You can't go wrong buying a mortar from any of these gentlemen and all are in your price range.

Remember...this is an addiction so why fight it!!!! ;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:58:40 AM »
Although it'd not listed in his website, I also believe sponsor Classic Cannons has GB Mortar also.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:02:36 AM »
Welcome Arson87 , Your plan sounds like a good one ,with a dozen Golf Balls or steelies from Fox and and a pound of powder you'll be a expert by the time the powder is gone .

The MAIN caution I will offer is that you never , EVER , pour powder into the mortar with the powder can any where near .  Put it in a smaller container ,little vials or film canisters . This stuff s goes off so fast and can burn so bad that you must be VERY carefull . It does not 'fizzle' like loose smokless ,it goes whoof and it gone .

Besides being an expert you will have had more fun than should be allowed ! 8) The thing about mortars is being able to see the ball land and recover . Have Fun I've bought Brookes guns and Dominicks gun .

They are both very good ,I've seen armorer77's on line ,they look very good as well .

Good luck ,this is the place ! ;D

Gary,  my .02 worth
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:20:14 AM »
Welcome, Asron87! This is the place to feed your soon to be growing addiction! All of the above mentioned sponsors have great stuff, check them out, and you will be happy with what you see. Lots of back pages to go thru, you can find just about everything you want or need for this sport/hobby...jump in, ask questions, there are many on here that can give you all the info and advice you need! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Asron87

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the fast replies. I've been emailing most of the sites sponsors for pricing and whats in stock. I'll more than likely be ordering from one of them and I'll be sure to tell them where I heard of them from. I'd like a cannon of descent size, the longer the barrel the better.

For a beginner,

1) Whats a good barrel length for a cannon?

2) Is 1.75" bore what I'm looking for or should I go fractionally bigger or smaller?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
I'd go 1.72"

Barrel length?   Hmmm.

What STYLE of cannon do you like? 
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
 A good place to start for barrel length is with a established design.  Scale to fit your projectile.   The Sponsor are aware of safety criteria for building cannons and they can provide you with a cannon with proper windage.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
Here is a list of Golf Ball Cannons I found from the sponsors.

http://blackpowder-cannons.com/products.htm

http://brooks-usa.com/id37.html

http://hmrcannons.com/Products.html

This is a list of GB cannons I found from the non-sponsors.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976993246/Guns/Rifles/Cannons/Modern-Replica/1_3_4_GOLF_BALL_FIELD_CANNON.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976993247/Guns/Rifles/Cannons/Modern-Replica/Big_Bore_Naval_Cannon_1_3_4_Golf_Ball_Cannon.htm

http://www.fireiron.net/fireweb502_003.htm

http://www.osvaldogatto.com.ar/english/catalogo_ficha.php?item=88

I was unsure about some of the others and have emailed most of them for more information on bore size and pricing. I'll update this post as I get the information.

What do you guys think? Do you know of any others?

Offline Asron87

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »
Cat Whisperer,

I really like the Boat Howitser Cannon at the bottom of the page on HMR Cannons site. It's a 1.730" GB bore. I also like there can sized Coehern Mortar.

http://hmrcannons.com/Products.html

I might start out with the can sized Coehorn Mortar Barrel or the can sized Coehorn Sled Mortar.
http://blackpowder-cannons.com/barrels.htm
http://blackpowder-cannons.com/services.htm

You guys weren't lying when you said this was addicting. I don't even have a Cannon/Mortar yet and I'm already addicted.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
Arron,

Go to the stickies at the top of the froum look at the GBO Sponsors and Cannon and you will find a whole list of nonsponsor cannon makers. We promote the sponsors since they pay the bills and frankly from our experience here on the board, most of the non sponsor can't compete with what our sponsors have to offer.

You also need to take a  look at board rules in the sticky title Read and Heed!  Our board is for the discussion of black powder mortars and cannons meeting definition of antiques under GCA and NFA.  Bascially any cannon or mortar made before 1899 or replica.  The stokes mortar is specifically prohibit here unless you can provide a copy of  letter from ATF to the moderators stating that the stokes replica is an antique. I am deleting your link to such a mortar.

Offline Asron87

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
DD,

Sorry about the Stokes Mortar link, I wasn't sure about that one. I went through the list of sponsors and non-sponsors and posted the links for the ones that were bored for Golf Balls. Some of the links were broken or the links didn't have any cannons bored for golf balls. I'll add to the list as I get more information and I'll make sure to not post anything that is unqualified for this forum. I also plan on buying from the sponsors only. I love this forum and will support it the best I can.

Sincerely,

Aaron  

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:06:19 PM »
Arson87 , I just sent you the specs on the Boat howitser you requested . It was my first cannon , I still use it for testing because it has the heaviest wall to chamber ratio of all my designs . Armorer77

Offline Asron87

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:43:52 PM »
armorer77,

That is exactly what I am looking for, Thanks.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:36 AM »
Let me know which links don't work and I'll fix them.

Not sure how soon,  had blue screen of death twice a week or so ago on my primary computer.  Had to reload windows to get it back running. Ever since the reload  have had the dreaded jumping cursor.   Tried to use the 7 year old desk top to get on the net. It keeps timing out when connecting to the net.  And that leaves the wifes computer which means sharing, which she doesn't do well.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 05:13:16 AM »
armorer77,

That is exactly what I am looking for, Thanks.

You got a good eye for proportion . That little boat howizter is a good looker . I think it would look good on a 'Grasshopper twin trail carriage' , It could shoot high angle (motarage) as well as direct fire (gun) .

Being built heavy I bet it would eat Fox Balls just dandy . 8)   
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Big Bore Bob

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
I can vouch for the quality, excellent service and response time from HMR cannons. I just recieved an upgraded model golfball mortar from Ed this morning and I love it!! Gonna lose a ball this afternoon-I don't expect to find it in the snow.;D ;D ;D ;D.Thanks, Eg.  Big Bore Bob
Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie!" while looking for a rock.-Will Rogers

Offline Big Bore Bob

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 06:36:41 AM »
whoops,fingers too big for key board -that SHOULD have read Thanks ,Ed :-[
Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie!" while looking for a rock.-Will Rogers

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 07:31:22 AM »
  Gonna lose a ball this afternoon-I don't expect to find it in the snow.

That's what spring is for!

Offline Asron87

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »
RocklockI,

Maybe you could point me in the right direction for a "grasshopper twin trail carriage". I haven't decided on a cannon quite yet and I haven't decided if I'll be making my own carriage or just buying one. I think making my own would further the pride in shooting a cannon.

Aaron

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »

There is a couple differant 'styles' some like this one has some ammo storage next to the barrel , some have the ammo chest between the trails .

In either case the idea was for a hit and git sort of attack . One horse can haul the thinngage between the trails ,a couple other guys riding along all self contianed no cassions and stuff . 

If you google Grasshoppers or Butterflys carriage ......I would think a cannon like the boat howizter would have been a "towns gun" or "militia gun" ......

Hope this helps Gary

Offline Asron87

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
Rocklock,

that looks pretty sweet, you say it shoots high angel. How much of an angle, from the pics it looks like it would have to have a portion cut out underneath it. I like the idea of high angel and direct shooting.

Thanks for the pics,

Aaron

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:42 PM »
Yes it would ....This grasshopper mindage came together about two months or so .....A search could find it .

There are an infinate number of designs variations on a theme . Honestly I dont think there was any standardization of these carriages .

here is an older one . the barrel is hardly visable . The other thing about the older carriages is that they were brighter colors ! reds ,blues , oranges , .

This one has it ammo between the trails

This is only a twin trail but not a galloper as it isnt a one horse thingery

Offline Asron87

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
Rocklock,
I think that last pic just might be the ticket I've been looking for, thanks.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
It is a cool way to make your piece more substantial . Mount it on a swivel type thingy and ....it's pretty small .

But put some effort in the doing of the thing , carriage wise ....you will love the results .

Gary

Btw if you like the bronze look you could always have it plated ? Sweet first piece is all I can say .

Offline Asron87

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 05:51:44 PM »
Good news! My lady friend found her moms Thunder Mug. I don't know whether or not I get to keep it but at least it gives me something to tool around with until I get my Cannon and/or Mortar. Can't wait to use it.
Here's a pic  http://imgur.com/EfIod

Its a 1" bore 4" inches deep, a little rusty but I'll shine it up a bit before I use. I don't think they've ever cleaned the chamber so that part will probably be the most difficult.

As for a Golf Ball Cannon I still haven't decided on a barrel length. The cannons barrel length that I'm currently deciding on is either 8.5 inches or 14-15 inches.

Any Idea's are welcome, Thanks in advance.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
Good news! My lady friend found her moms Thunder Mug. I don't know whether or not I get to keep it...

Of course you get to keep it. You're a man. Women have no use for such things. I think there's a federal law to support that somewhere (or at least there should be).
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
As for a Golf Ball Cannon I still haven't decided on a barrel length. The cannons barrel length that I'm currently deciding on is either 8.5 inches or 14-15 inches.
Any Idea's are welcome, Thanks in advance.

Asron87,
It's just my personal opinion, but with a golf ball sized bore, I'd go with the longer tube to achieve a more proportionally ballanced looking barrel.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:54 PM »
and it would still be howitzer proportions and not a cannon
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry